Nintendo Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Nintendo DS Reviews

Notices

Nintendo DS Reviews Section for all Nintendo DS and DSI Reviews

Comment

Review Tools
Super Mario 64 DS
Super Mario 64 DS
Published by Shade
02-28-2009
Author review
Graphics
95%95%95%
Storyline
80%80%80%
Controls/Gameplay
85%85%85%
Sound
75%75%75%
Average 84%
Super Mario 64 DS

Super Mario 64 DS
a review by Shade

You all might think that this game is just like the original. Well, I hate to say this, but you are wrong. Many things have changed in this game, new characters, new skills, etc. Mario takes another epic journey in the Mushroom Kingdom, and this review will tell you whether it is worth staying by Mario's side all the way through.

Retro Moment: What is Super Mario 64?

Super Mario 64 box art.

Originally released on the N64, Super Mario 64 was a hit. Nintendo smashed all of the right buttons and took the N64's abilities to the extreme. Great graphics for its time, great sounds, great level design, what more could a gamer ask for? Not much. Super Mario 64 was a great platformer and it entertains Mario fans even today. Mario had to rescue Princess Peach by going into paintings on the wall and getting stars to restore the castle's power. He had to get through various obstacles, from enourmous Chain Chomps to the classic Goomba. There would be various missions in each level to get stars, and once the player had enough, he/she would face Bowser, Mario's enemy. The main thing is that the game was worth playing. This is a very brief description.

Well, let's get this review started, shall we?

Graphics

Graphics comparison. DS version is on the left, N64 version is on the right.

Graphics is probably one of the strongest points of the game. As you can see from this screenshot, the graphics have greatly improved since N64 times. Crisp images, nearly the best the DS has seen. I was surprised when I first played this game, I couldn't believe it. The graphics have been updated impressively since the N64 version of this game was released.

The levels were so detailed, and I cannot complain about it because it seems like the DS was pushed to the limit for this game. Everything seemed so life-like. And the thing that really got me, Bowser actually looks ike Bowser in this game. Enemies were detailed... I was blown away. The colors made the Mario world have its classic feel and everything seemed great. The main thing I have to comment on is how big of a leap the graphics took from N64 to DS. I cannot stress this enough, the visuals are great and have taken a huge turn in the right direction since the N64 days.

Graphics - 9.5/10 - Great. Truly impressive.

Gameplay

Gameplay of each character in Super Mario 64 DS.

This was one thing that I was impressed with as well. Instead of having Mario as the star, Wario, Yoshi, and Luigi jump into the action as well. They appear to have different skills and that means that certain tasks can only be completed by certain characters. For example, let's say you have to find the red coins in the snowman level, and one is frozen in ice. Mario, Luigi, and Wario cannot break the ice. Yoshi can breathe fire, though. You get the point.

The amount of puzzles and levels make the game worth playing. I was impressed with what I saw. A situation that could be another star or an epic fail, times where you must do tasks in a certain order, etc. If you like simple puzzles, great levels, and things related, this game is definitely for you. Not to mention the new Minigames that have been added. Catch bunnies along your quest to unlock minigames. Trust me, they are addicting.

Gameplay - 8.5/10 - Some minor flaws, but overall, outstanding.

Music/Sounds

The sounds were fine. Not the best feature of the game, but they surprised me. Some of the sounds were a tad... not so great, but they were acceptable. The classic "bling" of the coins, the annoying sound of a Goomba walking, the sounds were pleasing in some parts of the game, but not in all of them. Sometimes the voices of the characters were a bit muffled, but it would not make your ears bleed if you listened to it.
Music was classic, it brought back memories. Music was overall alright. Some of the music was a little fuzzy, though. One thing I personally liked was the surround sound mode. Oooh, makes the music suit the mood and occasionally pulls you into the game environment. The music had a retro feel to it, making it even better than I expected.

Music - 8/10 - Brought back some memories. I liked it.
Sounds - 7/10 - I give it a "meh" rating because they could use improvement, but they were still great.

Replay Value

Here's the main thing: Once you beat the game, you might not be coming back for more. You may not have collected all of the stars, maybe you haven't gotten all of the minigames yet, maybe you just want to break a high score on a level. Some gamers will just beat the game and leave it at that, and this is possible. Sometimes, Super Mario 64 DS doesn't have enough for every gamer, and that's understandable. Depending on what type of gamer you are, you will either want to finish the game completely or just beat it and forget about it.

Replay Value - 8/10 - Minor repetitive feeling, still has you coming back even after you beat the game.

Multiplayer

Multiplayer video.

Surprisingly, Super Mario 64 DS features multiplayer. Players must run around a specified course as Yoshi and try to collect as many stars as they can within the time limit. Sounds fun, right? Only with other people close by. No Wi-Fi, not even the option to play against CPU's. Lacking, but it barely passes in my opinion. Still fun with others, though. Since this was a launch title, I can understand why it doesn't have the Wi-Fi feature in it, but it still could have used it. If multiplayer mode had Wi-Fi, it would have received a much better rating than the one I'm giving it.

Multiplayer - 5/10 - Needs Wi-Fi and ability to play against CPU opponents.

Bottom Line

Overall, Super Mario 64 DS is much better than it's N64 cousin. Things have been mixed around and thrown together to create a beautiful game. Super Mario 64 DS is a nice game. Overall, I would say...

9/10

I love this game and I still play it to this day. It is a fun game. Nothing much else to say, I believe I stressed this enough throughout the review. The game is worth the money that you spend on it, and it will entertain you for a long time. Super Mario 64 DS is a great game and I enjoyed most of it. I was pleased with the game, except I was disappointed with multiplayer. That is the one noticable downside to the game, but I doubt that you will use it much. It shouldn't hurt you much to just ignore it.

Pros
- New features, such as minigames, characters, levels, etc.
- Impressive graphics/gameplay
- Moderate Replay Value

Cons
- Multiplayer is a bit lacking (can't face a CPU)

I submitted this review on the other site I am on, which is NW. I made some edits to the review, though, so this one might be better, or even worse. Anyway, thanks for reading my review!
Published by
(That's me)
Shade is an unknown quantity at this point
Sponsored Links
By Mario on 03-02-2009, 09:59 PM
Very nice review Shade....
By Shade on 03-03-2009, 06:44 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
95%95%95%
Storyline
80%80%80%
Controls/Gameplay
85%85%85%
Sound
75%75%75%
Average 84%
Thanks, Mario. Feedback is appreciated.
By Linkage on 03-03-2009, 11:44 PM
i loved this game. i totally agree with your review of super mario 64. i agree the multiplayer needed some work.
Comment