Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Classic Nintendo Reviews

Notices

Classic Nintendo Reviews Section for all Retro Nintendo Games for NES, SNES, Gamecube, Nintendo 64, Gameboy

Comment

Review Tools
Super Mario World(SNES) - Review
Super Mario World(SNES) - Review
Aganar
Published by Saru786
03-08-2009
Author review
Graphics
100%100%100%
Storyline
50%50%50%
Controls/Gameplay
100%100%100%
Sound
100%100%100%
Average 88%
Sm Mario Super Mario World(SNES) - Review

Music from the game while you read this review.

Gameplay for the game after/before you read this review.

Welcome to Aganar's review of the SNES hit, Super Mario World! I hopes you likes it a lots!

Intro

Super Mario World was the first game released on the Super Nintendo Entertainment System. No doubt it would become popular. It was a Mario game for Christ's sake! With it's new jump to the 16 bit era, we Nintendo fans across the globe were sure that this would be excellent. We were right.

Story: 5/10

The same Mario story as always. Princess gets kidnapped by Bowser, and Mario has to run off to rescue her. Same as always. But this is definitely not a game that is plot driven. The return of the koopa kids really made my day though, after playing Mario 3 for so long.

Graphics: 10/10

The graphics blew away anything to come before it. Mario 3, sorry, you've been surpassed! Even the mighty Genesis paled in comparison to it's awesomeness. The sprites were about as big as Super Mario 3. However, they were now much more detailed. Clothing looked better, face looked more detailed, and character animations were alot better. The backgrounds were completely amazing. Because of the Super Nintendo's hardware, it was capable of a new kind of special effect, known as Mode 7. With Mode 7, the game was enabled 3 background layers, not counting the sprites themselves. With the Mode 7, the background really seemed like it was moving, rather than other games where it was just scrolling wallpaper. Also with Mode 7, it allowed sprites to become bigger, without losing resolution. This let there be Bowser's huge floating balloon which seemed to jump out at you and looked really smexy. Also it allowed for bigger groups of enemies to be there such as the triceratops heads. With all of these plus great special effects, it was one of the smexiest looking games at the time.

What SUPER graphics!

Gameplay/Controls: 10/10
The gameplay far surpasses any of the Mario games to come before it (save Mario 3 which is close). Not just because you now have a world map you can travel around giving the game a non-linear gamepath. Not just because you now have tons of extras and new items. Not just because the graphics are amazing, the sound is great, and there are even secret worlds to visit. No, all that plus something...Yoshi. Now, despite all its new things one could say that it lost the great stuff of Mario 3. But there is certainly 1 thing it has over Mario 3. It's got a playable dinosaur character, which is not only extremely helpful but a buddy you grow attached to. I feel embarrassed to say it but when I was little I cried when I lost Yoshi. He's just that cool. Finally, probably one of the first games to ever do it, you have an animal you can correspond, use, and ride on in a game. My hat goes off to you, Shigeru Miyamoto; this has got to be one of your best ideas ever.

Besides Yoshi there are still other things, which are worth mentioning. As I said before, instead of like in Mario 3 where you have different worlds to visit, you have one huge world map. You travel around the map beating castles and areas with your buddy Yoshi freeing his friends and coming closer and closer to bower. The world is divided up into sections called lands. Each land has 1 castle and usually 1 secret castle. Most of your favorite Mario characters and monsters are back, although some of the strange levels from 3 are gone, partially because the games were being made back to back. However, you'll still get the same feeling you got as a child playing the games every time you pop in the cartridge. Even if you have gone to a totally original and new area you've never seen before, you still have the same ''Mario'' feel that you've had with the others. Now once again I'll get into why Yoshi is awesome.

Yoshi has a wide variety of uses. He can eat fruits using his tongue, which will raise your score. He can also eat shells, mushrooms, and yes, even enemies! If you run into an unwanted koopa, *GULP* he's outta your way. You can even use him to spit out the shells to shoot at other enemies. Not to mention you can fly, run, and swim with him, who provides suitable protection, and if you give him a special shell he can grow wings and fly by himself! If that wasn't enough you can even breed your own types! In special worlds you can make a yellow, blue, green, or red Yoshi! So, if nothing else, it'll allow you to take one free hit without dying.

Anyway, even if you ignore Yoshi the game still has new things, which you'll love. The old items are there but now have new uses, such as the spinning fireball. You also now learn new tactics to fight enemies and new strategies. Sure the game isn't terribly hard but you'll find you can catch on to it in a snap. In a day's worth of time you'll feel like you've owned it forever!

Take the smooth and great control of the Mario games and add several new buttons and you have the control of Super Mario World. You still predominately jump on the enemies to get rid of them, but now you can also do a spinning jump which usually just vaporizes them, enter different areas of the level like castles or secrets, run then jump to do a higher jump, or move the camera slightly to one side with the shoulder buttons. Not to mention if you get a feather now you can access several new options such as dive bombing or floating while in the air. It's almost the perfect control for any 2D platformer.

Sound/Music: 10/10
Sound quality is far better than the NES beeps. Now they sound much more realistic, and cartoony for that matter. Music-wise, it's another jump. You have great music, which totally fits the atmosphere, and catchy tunes which you'll find yourself humming. Unlike some other games, which have level tunes that make you wanna hang yourself, I've never found myself ever turning the volume down or wishing that the song would change. Koji Kondo did a great job. So my hat(which I'm not wearing at the moment) off to him.

Replay Value: 10/10

Talk about extras, there are hidden lands you can access! You can unlock a special star world which not only serves as a cool extra world to explore, you can also use it as a warp station to different zones! With that you could warp to the end of the game in only two hours! Star Road also serves as a warp to another secret world with extremely hard levels and a breeding ground for Yoshis. That's right, different colored Yoshis are accessible (didn't you read the gameplay part?). Along with that there are tons of secret levels and alternate paths around the lands. This allows a non-linear feel to the game and allows you to play through the game many times. You can even change the entire world if you unlock everything! If you beat the secret world after star road the time changes to fall and all the monsters will have a new look! That's alot of replay value!

Overall: 10/10

This is the kind of game that you remember when you're old and balding. Even now, after 18 years after it's released it's still on my top 10 favorite games of all time. Not only will the casual gamer love it but also this is the game for hardcore gamers. Despite some of the innovations Mario 3 had that Super Mario World has lost, this still beats it out. By a small margin, but it is still better. I implore you to play it if you have missed out on the experience. Trust me, you won't be disappointed, no matter what your expectations are.

Final Recommendation: Buy or Not Buy?
I don't have to tell you, you already have it. Wait?! You don't?! What are you an idiot?! Go get it RIGHT NOW!!! Before I you down!!!
for reading Aganar's long review! Please comment on your opnion on this review and the game itself.

- People ask what game beats Mario 3, even by a margain? This is your answer.

- Next Review: Wave Race 64(N64)

This review was written by Aganar and the original can be found here:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/snes/review/R36205.html

Published by
Enter Sandman
Saru786 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via MSN to Saru786 Send a message via Yahoo to Saru786
Sponsored Links
By SegaSlayer33 on 03-09-2009, 12:27 AM
Great review. But you seem to use a lot of it to kind of bash SMB3.
By Saru786 on 03-10-2009, 07:02 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
100%100%100%
Storyline
50%50%50%
Controls/Gameplay
100%100%100%
Sound
100%100%100%
Average 88%
Thanks. I don't really see how I'm bashing SMB3 by what it says in the review. I mean SMB3 was a great game, still is. I was just giving my opinion on a game that is better than SMB3 and was trying to answer many video gamers question which was "What game could possibly be better than SMB3?".

Bashing = SMB3 sucks and is junk compared to SMW!

What I Said = Read in review.
By da Beef on 03-11-2009, 02:37 AM
Member reviews
Graphics
90%90%90%
Storyline
60%60%60%
Controls/Gameplay
100%100%100%
Sound
100%100%100%
Average 88%
i don't understand this part

Quote:
The sprites were about as big as Super Mario 3.

do you mean the pixels? the sprites are actually the same size. mario doesn't take up any more screen space or anything. in any case i think you're talking about the pixels, which are in fact quite smaller than in SMB3.

but anyway good review, and i agree that this game more than holds up all these years later, although i have to point out that adding the ability to quit levels and save at anytime in the GBA version makes the original a little less playable.

oh and one more little nitpick

it's = contraction; "it is"
its = possessive

By Saru786 on 03-11-2009, 07:03 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
100%100%100%
Storyline
50%50%50%
Controls/Gameplay
100%100%100%
Sound
100%100%100%
Average 88%
Quote:
Originally Posted by da Beef View Post
i don't understand this part

do you mean the pixels? the sprites are actually the same size. mario doesn't take up any more screen space or anything. in any case i think you're talking about the pixels, which are in fact quite smaller than in SMB3.

but anyway good review, and i agree that this game more than holds up all these years later, although i have to point out that adding the ability to quit levels and save at anytime in the GBA version makes the original a little less playable.

oh and one more little nitpick

it's = contraction; "it is"
its = possessive

My grammar will always be like that, it's or its, it doesn't really matter to me. Also, read it one more time, about as big as Super Mario Bros. 3. Meaning not bigger, and thanks for the compliment.
By HungryHorris on 03-11-2009, 11:43 PM
Super Mario World was an awesome game when it came out, it looked rude and sounded as rude.. it was massive as well
By SuperSmashBros256 on 07-22-2009, 12:13 AM
Member reviews
Graphics
95%95%95%
Storyline
95%95%95%
Controls/Gameplay
95%95%95%
Sound
95%95%95%
Average 95%
all i can say is
By Cam3ron36@NFF on 07-22-2009, 03:26 AM
great job, first game I ever played.
By op89x on 07-22-2009, 03:35 AM
Aganar never registered here, so he probably won't see you congratulating him on the good review he wrote.
By Superness26 on 08-04-2009, 07:19 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
90%90%90%
Storyline
80%80%80%
Controls/Gameplay
95%95%95%
Sound
95%95%95%
Average 90%
Sm Mario

I very addicting game. One of the best Mario games of all time!
Comment