Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Classic Nintendo Reviews

Notices

Classic Nintendo Reviews Section for all Retro Nintendo Games for NES, SNES, Gamecube, Nintendo 64, Gameboy

Comment

Review Tools
Super Metroid
Super Metroid
The last Metroid is in captivity, the Galaxy is at peace.....
Published by SegaSlayer33
03-08-2009
Author review
Graphics
95%95%95%
Storyline
90%90%90%
Controls/Gameplay
100%100%100%
Sound
100%100%100%
Average 96%
Super Metroid

Presents:

Super Metroid

It's 1994. The greatest console war in history, between Sega and Nintendo is entering its final year. Who will be King of video games?

The year has ended. Donkey Kong Country has blown away the world with its amazing graphics. The Super Nintendo, saved by its Gorilla once again, sells nine million consoles. However, somewhere, one boy has a different game in his Super Nintendo. He starts to play, and then those hollowed words send chills down his spine. They still do...

"The last Metroid is in captivity. The Galaxy is at peace......"

The Game

Super Metroid was released on April 18, 1994. The game was yet another brainchild of Gunpei Yokoi, who was famous for inventing Kid Icarus, Game Boy, the ill-fated Virtual Boy, and was also the mentor of the Chuck Norris of video games, Shigeru Miyamoto.

The game picks up where Metroid II left off. Samus takes the last metroid to a research facility, where scientists plan to use the metroid's powers to help mankind. However, not long after she leaves the laboratory, the Space Pirates attack, killing the scientists and stealing the last metroid. After escaping their wrath, Samus must once again return to Zebes to save the galaxy.

Someone's Hungry..

Although not as commercially successful as other Nintendo franchises, Super Metroid was met with universal acclaim. It has one of the best soundtracks of any game by Nintendo, and is regarded as the best Super Nintendo game of all time. Some would even go as far as to say Super Metroid is the best game of all time.

Menu

In a game like Super Metroid, it's easy to get lost!

When you first turn on Super Metroid, you get right into the game, just like that. The music starts, the title appears, and then you know, just like that, this is bigger than anything you have ever experienced.

You have 3 save files. From here you can choose to:

Different language select: This means that you gaming nerds from all around the world can enjoy the glory that is Super Metroid

Controls: Another great thing about Super Metroid is that you can choose your own control set-up. This means that this game can handle like a dream, no matter your button preferences. This is a feature that should be a staple in modern gaming.

Special Features: Want to moonwalk? Here you can do all that other stuff that all just adds to the SM experience.

Gameplay

Here is where Samus hones her craft. Super Metroid may have an epic soundtrack, but it's here where she earns her reputation. Super Metroid may have the best gameplay of a game ever.

The planet Zebes, for starters, has 6 different environments, each of which house different challenges, enemies and secrets. The levels are designed to be returned to again and again as you progress through the story. Your ability to collect different equipment and use it to influence the area around you has since become a staple in video games.

They don't make games like this anymore

After 30 minutes of play, you've fought your first boss battle, escaped an exploding space station with it literally crumbling and swaying as you escape. You've explored through the ruins of the former Mother Brain Lair, gone through 3 caves as a Morph ball, blasted alien scum, found two secret areas and defeated another boss. That's living on the edge (or it was in 1994)

The Final Encounter with Mother Brain

Super Metroid can also thank the Big N in the sky for classic bosses. These are each a excellent test of the excellent controls, weapons and strategy you will need to progress in this game. The bosses are unique, with later ones requiring presice aiming and use of weapons to defeat. And the Mother Brain at the end..............simply EPIC!

Power-Ups

Samus's adventure would be impossible if it was not for the vast array of weapons,add-ons and power-ups that litter the walls of Zebes. These range from missile upgrades, to the speed boots (always a personal favourite) and to the infamous Morph Ball. Each power-up allows access to new parts of Zebes, and are essential in the eventual defeat of Mother Brain.

Important Power-Ups

Energy Tank-Increases maximum health by 99

Morph Ball-Allows you to roll up into a ball and venture into small openings. Additionally, the bomb and spring power-ups allow you to deploy low-powered explosives and jump in this form respectively.

ScrewAttack-Allows you to attack foes while performing a somersault.

Varia/Gravity Suit: These suits both reduce damage dealt by enemies. The Varia suit also gives you invulnerability to excessive heats found in the game, whilst the Gravity Suit allows you to freely roam water.

Speed Boots: Give you Super-Fast running. Allows you to plow through certain obstacles during the game.

Missiles: These are necessary to open certain doors and defeat enemies. You can hold 5 missiles per icon you recieve.

Charge Beam: Allows you to charge up your cannon to let out a devastating blast of energy.

Grappling Beam: Allows Samus to swing on certain parts of the scenery and to access previously unreachable areas of the game.

And the list goes on! But these are just the basics!

Some of these power-ups, like the Morph Ball, are essential, and are part of what makes Super Metroid a great game. Although some power-ups aren't as useful as others, they definitely make Samus a joy to play with.

Graphics: 9.5/10
These graphics are amazing for a 16-bit console. They set the perfect mood for the perfect game. They have a dark, mysterious, almost scary feel to them. And just seeing those little pixels blow up when you escape at the end...........classic.

Storyline: 9/10
The storyline is epic, everything you could want from a game so...deep. From the going-back to the old metroid levels at the beginning, to when your metroid child gives his life for his mother, you are touched in a way that words can't really describe. And I felt for that metroid. When it died, I actually think I started to cry...

Controls/Gameplay: 10/10
Totally deserving in every way. Controls were perfect (and if you thought otherwise you could adjust them and make them "perfect" for you).The game kept you hooked from beginning to end. When you finish Super Metroid, you will play it all over again, just to see Samus in her scantly clad pixel glory. A game completely and utterly satisfying.

Sound: 10/10
This is the type of game that you play with all the lights turned off and the music turned up. And this is why:
Super Metroid Soundtrack

This soundtrack is god, even by today's standards. A classic that will always be remembered as one of "the best"

Overall: 10/10
A game that oozes excellence. However, at the time of launch, it was overshadowed by games such as DKC. This game may of been the best, but it never got the commercial success that Mario enjoyed. Such a shame that Super Metroid didn't see success at a time which could of seen the franchise more established today. Oh well, looks like we'll be gang raped by Wii-Sports like games instead.

The perfect ending to the perfect game!

For reading this Thread!

Next time: Falling Blocks-Communism's contribution to they hobby of millions.

Published by
Finishing the Fight
SegaSlayer33 will become famous soon enoughSegaSlayer33 will become famous soon enough
Sponsored Links
By Atom Man5 on 03-08-2009, 11:29 PM
Stellar review.
By da Beef on 03-09-2009, 12:07 AM
Member reviews
Graphics
100%100%100%
Storyline
100%100%100%
Controls/Gameplay
100%100%100%
Sound
100%100%100%
Average 100%
good review, but i'm actually glad that Super Metroid wasn't a huge colossal hit. if it was, the Metroid series would have its ass raped today with lame spin-offs like Mario and Zelda.
By Siberianhusky89 on 03-09-2009, 01:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by da Beef View Post
good review, but i'm actually glad that Super Metroid wasn't a huge colossal hit. if it was, the Metroid series would have its ass raped today with lame spin-offs like Mario and Zelda.
Not to mention total rape by fanboys. In my opinion, this was one of the top 10 video games for the Super Nintendo. That's saying alot since I've been through so many SNES games that you would not believe. The graphics were great, the gameplay was great and creative, the music fit it well and was pretty good not the greatest, but still really well done, this game is definitely a memory I can't forget. Oddly enough, I just beat this game again yesterday.
By SegaSlayer33 on 03-10-2009, 02:29 AM
Member reviews
Graphics
95%95%95%
Storyline
90%90%90%
Controls/Gameplay
100%100%100%
Sound
100%100%100%
Average 96%
Well, I guess we just don't know what things could of happened if things had gone the other way. kinda like if SNES never got involved with Sony, or if Tetris was born into american society, and not into Soviet Russia.
By da Beef on 09-22-2009, 02:12 AM
Member reviews
Graphics
100%100%100%
Storyline
100%100%100%
Controls/Gameplay
100%100%100%
Sound
100%100%100%
Average 100%
Quote:
Originally Posted by SegaSlayer33 View Post
Well, I guess we just don't know what things could of happened if things had gone the other way. kinda like if SNES never got involved with Sony, or if Tetris was born into american society, and not into Soviet Russia.

in Soviet Russa, Tetris plays you!
By Rin on 09-22-2009, 02:19 AM
Tetris plays everyone at least once.

Nice review. Kind of hurting my eyes, but not bad overall.
By SegaSlayer33 on 09-22-2009, 04:22 AM
Member reviews
Graphics
95%95%95%
Storyline
90%90%90%
Controls/Gameplay
100%100%100%
Sound
100%100%100%
Average 96%
Quote:
Originally Posted by †Rin† View Post
Tetris plays everyone at least once.

Nice review. Kind of hurting my eyes, but not bad overall.
I stopped using colors after this, but I revived them for my console reviews. Oh well.

But yes, it does hut. Now I just use black. And real black, not that gray writing that is the default

From this

To this!
By Rin on 09-22-2009, 04:30 AM
Yes. I see. Nice change indeed.
By SegaSlayer33 on 09-22-2009, 04:40 AM
Member reviews
Graphics
95%95%95%
Storyline
90%90%90%
Controls/Gameplay
100%100%100%
Sound
100%100%100%
Average 96%
I hate the default setting....it's annoying.
Comment