Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > General Nintendo Section

Notices

General Nintendo Section All general Nintendo content here.

View Poll Results: Is Mario still the king of video games?
Yes 21 72.41%
No 8 27.59%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 02:19 AM   #1
SegaSlayer33
Finishing the Fight
Points: 21,468, Level: 92 Points: 21,468, Level: 92 Points: 21,468, Level: 92
User owns 1x Nintendo Game Boy Advance User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Classic User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Remote User owns 1x Nintendo Wii User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x SNES Controller

My Mood: Thinking
SegaSlayer33 will become famous soon enoughSegaSlayer33 will become famous soon enough

Awards Showcase
Royalty Poster Game Reviewer 
Total Awards: 3

PSN ID: Get your own Xbox Live Gamertag: Get your own
Is Mario still god?

Now, we all know that Mario was god back in his heyday. In his 3 NES outings, he amassed nearly 70 million copies sold. He lead the gaming world into the 3D universe with Super Mario 64, the grandfather of 3D platforming, and his influence has seen his face more recognised than Mickey Mouse. His success inspired the creation of Sonic, Alex Kidd, Yoshi and Klonoa, and the video game Viewtful Joe. But is he still what he once was? Is he still the face of video games?

Mario has some things going for him. Galaxy, which has now caught up to Halo 3 in copies sold, still shows that he has some sway. He stars in the 2nd most successful DS game, selling more copies than Pokemon. However, today, technology is far greater than when people peed their pants when they saw a P-Wing. The most popular genres today are not platformers, but Adventure games and FPS.

Some argue that today, gamers are far closer to Master Chief than to Mario. You can moan otherwise, but Halo 3 is the biggest hit of this generation, as determined purely by how many people love to play. But, as the trilogy ends and Halo quietens down, I personally feel Halo will become like Pokemon. People will still love it, and it will still produce a large amount of great games, but it will quieten down. Mario might not be what it once was, but he still holds a place in people's hearts, and Mario Kart combined with the original platformers still leads the industry. In this, Mario is still the face of video games.

I personally think he is, but that's from a person born in the 80's. What do you think?

To see an index of my review, click here
Latest review: Ristar
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2009, 02:26 AM   #2
Brandyn
The Gentleman
Points: 60,150, Level: 100 Points: 60,150, Level: 100 Points: 60,150, Level: 100
User owns 1x Master Sword User owns 1x Green Chaos Emerald User owns 2x SNES Controller User owns 1x Invincibility Star User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Rupee Bag User owns 1x Four Sword
User owns 1x Ocarina Of Time User owns 1x Fire Element

My Mood: Gaming
Brandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
NFF Ice Bucket Challenge NFF Annual Awards Brawl AM First Time Award Mufasa Yoshi NFF's 4th Annual Award NFF Old Man Award Review of the Month 
Total Awards: 16

Send a message via AIM to Brandyn Send a message via Yahoo to Brandyn Send a message via Skype™ to Brandyn 3DS Friend Code: 0147-1346-8804 PSN ID: Brandyn_Johnson WiiU ID: brandyn1994
ACK! gameboy is the Mario man of NFF! Are you sir, implying that Mario's going downhill!!! SHAME ON YOU! *reads thread* oh yeah I agree he's still good.

Old 03-10-2009, 02:35 AM   #3
SegaSlayer33
Finishing the Fight
User owns 1x Nintendo Game Boy Advance User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Classic User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Remote User owns 1x Nintendo Wii User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x SNES Controller

SegaSlayer33 will become famous soon enoughSegaSlayer33 will become famous soon enough

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameboy View Post
ACK! gameboy is the Mario man of NFF! Are you sir, implying that Mario's going downhill!!! SHAME ON YOU! *reads thread* oh yeah I agree he's still good.
LOLGASIM! I too share a love of Mario. Which was your fave?

Old 03-10-2009, 02:50 AM   #4
AlloftheAbove
Points: 24,971, Level: 95 Points: 24,971, Level: 95 Points: 24,971, Level: 95
User owns 1x Purple Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Yellow Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Blue Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Red Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Green Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Light Blue Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Grey Chaos Emerald

AlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Review of the Month NFF Ice Bucket Challenge Review of the Month Review of the Month Review of the Month NFF's 4th Annual Award NFF Old Man Award NFF Referrer 
Total Awards: 40

3DS Friend Code: 4382-1995-8800 PSN ID: RaptorWaffles Xbox Live Gamertag: RaptorWaffles WiiU ID: AlloftheAbove
Mario IS good, but Nintendo seems to be squeezing as much juice as they can from him.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:54 AM   #5
Mr.Negativel
Points: 260, Level: 5 Points: 260, Level: 5 Points: 260, Level: 5

Mr.Negativel is an unknown quantity at this point

well he's good
also they have great games!
Old 03-10-2009, 06:54 PM   #6
Saru786
Enter Sandman
Points: 7,638, Level: 58 Points: 7,638, Level: 58 Points: 7,638, Level: 58

Saru786 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Send a message via MSN to Saru786 Send a message via Yahoo to Saru786
Mario's been a gold god for the time he took his first step in the NES game, Super Mario Bros. I don't know what Alloftheabove means by Nintendo "squeezing the juice out of him" but he is still god.

I mean 2D Mario games is so fun to play, even until today and brings back a lot of memories to mature video gamers. And when 3D hit the big(well mine) "TV" screen, that was just amazing. SM64 was one of the best 3D games that ever was, Sunshine was great, and Galaxy just blew me away into happiness. Luckily, you still have the Mario sports games to play like Mario Kart and Mario Golf, Mario Tennis, etc.

Who knows if Halo, Final Fantasy, Tomb Raider, etc. would have been made if it wasn't for Mario and his (NES) games. :/

So if your trying to say Mario is going downhill, you have got it all wrong.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:00 AM   #7
Brandyn
The Gentleman
Points: 60,150, Level: 100 Points: 60,150, Level: 100 Points: 60,150, Level: 100
User owns 1x Master Sword User owns 1x Green Chaos Emerald User owns 2x SNES Controller User owns 1x Invincibility Star User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Rupee Bag User owns 1x Four Sword

Brandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
NFF Ice Bucket Challenge NFF Annual Awards Brawl AM First Time Award Mufasa Yoshi NFF's 4th Annual Award NFF Old Man Award Review of the Month 

Send a message via AIM to Brandyn Send a message via Yahoo to Brandyn Send a message via Skype™ to Brandyn 3DS Friend Code: 0147-1346-8804 PSN ID: Brandyn_Johnson WiiU ID: brandyn1994
Sm Mario

Quote:
Originally Posted by SegaSlayer33 View Post
LOLGASIM! I too share a love of Mario. Which was your fave?
Cool! gameboy and SegaSlayer: site's resident Mario gurus. Great question, which Mario is my favorite? Um.......I think Super Mario World. Probably because it was my first one, and it's just so fun even now!

Old 03-13-2009, 01:03 AM   #8
Brandyn
The Gentleman

Awards Showcase

Sm Mario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saru786 View Post
Mario's been a gold god for the time he took his first step in the NES game, Super Mario Bros. I don't know what Alloftheabove means by Nintendo "squeezing the juice out of him" but he is still god.

I mean 2D Mario games is so fun to play, even until today and brings back a lot of memories to mature video gamers. And when 3D hit the big(well mine) "TV" screen, that was just amazing. SM64 was one of the best 3D games that ever was, Sunshine was great, and Galaxy just blew me away into happiness. Luckily, you still have the Mario sports games to play like Mario Kart and Mario Golf, Mario Tennis, etc.

Who knows if Halo, Final Fantasy, Tomb Raider, etc. would have been made if it wasn't for Mario and his (NES) games. :/

So if your trying to say Mario is going downhill, you have got it all wrong.

By squeeze the juice out of him, Alloftheabove is probably referring to how they do put him in the spotlight alot. But then, what's Nintendo without Mario? That's like Mickey Mouse with Disney, or Nickelodeon with Spongebob.

Old 03-13-2009, 01:52 AM   #9
Saru786
Enter Sandman
Points: 7,638, Level: 58 Points: 7,638, Level: 58 Points: 7,638, Level: 58

Saru786 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Send a message via MSN to Saru786 Send a message via Yahoo to Saru786
I know, Nintendo might not be where it is at this moment without Mario, so you can not let him not be in the spotlight, he should be, and will be.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:07 AM   #10
SegaSlayer33
Finishing the Fight

Awards Showcase

When people criticize Mario they forget that he is a mascot aswell. To me, Mario's job should be as a killer launch title that introduces people to the console. Once the way has been cleared by Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Pokemon and others step in and keep the momentum

Closed Thread