Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Other Reviews

Notices

Other Reviews Playstation, Xbox, PC, or any other console game Review. Also console reviews too

Comment

Review Tools
Bioshock Review
Bioshock Review
Welcome To Rapture.
Published by Konata
03-11-2009
Author review
Graphics
90%90%90%
Storyline
95%95%95%
Controls/Gameplay
95%95%95%
Sound
100%100%100%
Average 95%
Bioshock Review

This is my Review for Bioshock, for the PS3, and basically I’m going to review bits of it as I play through it. I hope you enjoy =].

Some Bioshock gameplay from a trailer,,

So, set in 1960, you start off with a cut scene in what appears to be you in a plane crash, landed in the ocean. You then see yourself swimming to the top, and then must swim to safety. Now, at this point I’ve got to say that except for the dodgy fire effect, the graphics are great. Alright, so when you get to safety you come across a tower, upon entering your in darkness, except for one small light, followed by the lights all flashing on simultaneously. As you enter other areas of the tower the lights flash on just before you enter, which I think is a pretty good feature, that a lot of people wouldn’t respect. When you’ve gone down 2 sets of stairs you get to a round shaped submarine, and must enter this in order to get to the main location of the game, Rapture.

Rapture is a completely underwater city, and was built by Andrew Ryan, who at first, is who you must find, and kill. So as your going to the city you see advertisements from Andrew Ryan and then a short scene of the submarine taking you inside one of the buildings. You then take a radio, and are led through most of the game by Atlas. I won’t go into too much depth about the story, so not to ruin it if you haven’t played it yet and are planning on getting it. So I’ll skip through bits of the story and just tell you about certain parts.

One of the main features of this game are “Plasmids”, and you get your first one in the form of “Electro Bolt” which allows you to shoot electric bolts from your hand. Plasmids are important on you completing the game, they can allow you to access new areas, as well as defeat enemies, especially if your low on ammo. To use plasmids you need “Eve” and to get eve you use “Eve Hypo”. These are large needles which contain eve, and can be found throughout the game, you can hold a maximum of 9 of these, and refill your eve whenever you feel the need. As long as you have it in your inventory, that is.

If you want more plasmids, you can find them throughout Rapture, but not many, so to get new ones you’ll have to get “Adam”. Adam is like money, except it’s used to buy Plasmids. You can get adam from finding a Big Daddy with a Little Sister, killing the Big Daddy/Bouncer/Rosie and then either Rescuing or Harvesting the Little Sister. If you rescue the little sister, you’ll get less adam, but they can be useful later in the game. If you harvest the little sister, you’ll get more adam. Apart from buying plasmids with your adam, you can also upgrade the amount of plasmids you can have equipped at once, the amount of plasmids you can have equipped at once is called a “Track”.

There are 4 types of plasmids each having their own track, each track containing 6 slots.

Another feature of Bioshock is the ability to hack objects, such as security bots, vending machines, turrets, security cameras and safes. There are various hacking difficulties, and as you progress through the game hacking gets harder. To hack you have to guide the flow of metallic liquid to the exit pipe. You have to find new pipe segments by revealing hidden tiles, you can pick up the pipes and swap them with other pipes to create a connected line. If you get a successful hack, you will get a message box telling you what benefits you have from it. If you don’t want to hack it, you can choose to buy it out for a certain amount of money, but the harder the hack the more it will cost.

Security Bot - Hacked security bots are friendly and will attack your enemies.
Vending Machines - More items available, and all prices reduced.
Security Cameras - Are friendly, and will alert you if they spot an enemy.
Turrets - Are friendly, and will fire at enemies.
Safes - You will now have access to its contents.

There are different things hidden under each tile, which are,,
Straight Pipe
Elbow Pipe (Changes direction of the route)
Accelerator (Liquid travels faster through this pipe)
Resistor (Liquid travels slower through this pipe)
Overload (Overloads will cause a short circuit that delivers massive, damaging shock)
Alarm (Alarm tiles will end the hack, and trigger the security system)

You can also find diary’s scattered across Rapture. When you find one of these you can listen to it and it tells you more about the story. If you find all these you will be rewarded with a silver PSN trophy, but these are not important to completing the game. Another feature is the ability to research the enemies you encounter. You research them by taking photos of them, and get research points based on how good it is. You get more if the enemy is in action, and if it has multiple of them in one photo. If you have take a picture of the same enemy again, or the enemy is dead, it deducts research points. After a certain amount of research it gives you bonuses from killing the enemies.

But it’s not over yet, you can also invent items using the U-Invent machines. You invent items using materials you have found throughout Rapture. You can invent ammo and plasmids. A final feature is that you can upgrade the weapons you obtain, each weapon can be upgraded twice.

Now for a bit more of the game..
The first boss is Dr. Steinman, who basically needed killing before who killed anyone else. You just have to shoot him dead before he does it to you, after killing him there’s a safe to hack on a table in the water, which is a good option to take before proceeding with the story. When you kill him you also get a bronze PSN trophy. Skipping the second boss, the third important part is that you have to restore the forest, because Andrew Ryan foiled with it, and without it the oxygen supply would be to low and people would die. This mission’s relatively easy, you just have to find the materials needed to make a potion type thing, and use it to save the forest. You also get a bronze PSN trophy for doing this. Skipping to the 5th major part, you must find and kill Andrew Ryan, although it just involves you finding him, because he is killed by you during a cut scene, a PSN trophy is also gained for this. Again, skipping a part, the 7th mission involves you finding the resources to become a Big Daddy, and gain access to other areas by protecting a Little Sister.

Time for a few words on the ratings...
Graphics
The graphics looked amazing throughout the game, but with some parts of it looking a bit dodgy, and the physics slightly messing up during mass attacks, i'd have to give it a 9/10.

Storyline
The storyline was great, one of the best story's I've followed so far. This would get a 10/10, but due to a rubbish ending which makes no sense at all i'm putting it down to a 9.5/10.

Controls/Gameplay
The controls and gameplay were both great, with the game being quite challenging at times, but it wasn't all perfect, so i'm giving it a 9.5/10.

Sound
Couldn't go wrong with the sound, the speech was great, the soundtrack was, just had no faults at all. 10/10.

Overall, i'd have to give this game 95%. Next game i'll be reviewing will be Resident Evil 5 or New Play Control Pikmin.
Sponsored Links
By Mario on 03-12-2009, 08:17 AM
Good review!!!
By SirManguydude on 03-12-2009, 07:24 PM
Would you Kindly make more reviews of this caliber?
By Konata on 03-13-2009, 04:16 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
90%90%90%
Storyline
95%95%95%
Controls/Gameplay
95%95%95%
Sound
100%100%100%
Average 95%
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirManguydude View Post
Would you Kindly make more reviews of this caliber?
Lol @ "Would you kindly"
By SirManguydude on 03-13-2009, 06:11 PM
Lets see how many other people have played Bioshock cause if they have, then they would understand.
By K!NGZACH on 03-14-2009, 11:24 PM
great game, great review.
By Rin on 04-15-2009, 12:29 PM
Nice review, and a great game to do a review one.
By Cam3ron36@NFF on 10-23-2009, 11:16 PM
I only wish I wasn't so jumpy when I play games like these :q

Good job, I'm still wondering what's inside those "Big Daddies" Humans? Aliens? Fish?... it confuses me :-\
By The Vault Dweller on 12-13-2009, 01:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam3ronXMAS View Post
I only wish I wasn't so jumpy when I play games like these :q

Good job, I'm still wondering what's inside those "Big Daddies" Humans? Aliens? Fish?... it confuses me :-\

The Big Daddies are people that had their vocal cords twisted and enhanced to sound like whale calls, drenched with phermoned (both of those are to attract Little Sisters) and their minds are controled by (blank)'s mind control and then they are put in the suits as armor.
Comment