Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Classic Nintendo Reviews

Notices

Classic Nintendo Reviews Section for all Retro Nintendo Games for NES, SNES, Gamecube, Nintendo 64, Gameboy

View Poll Results: What can be done to improve on this review?
More text 2 66.67%
Better images 0 0%
more/less presentation 1 33.33%
Better discription (please post and explain!) 1 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Comment

Review Tools
Super Mario Land
Super Mario Land
Mario on the go!
Published by SegaSlayer33
03-13-2009
Author review
Graphics
70%70%70%
Storyline
70%70%70%
Controls/Gameplay
95%95%95%
Sound
85%85%85%
Average 80%
Super Mario Land

Super Mario Land

In a world where graphics are looking more life-like than life, where games are measured by the greatness of their weapons, where games that lack guns and explosions are taking a leap of faith, Super Mario Land remains a staple. To put it in short, Super Mario Land is a gem that leaves you satisfied from the moment you press start till the last credit rolls.

Sometimes, games do not age well. They fall into obscurity, or are remembered as the mediocre games that they really are. Super Mario Land, however, is different. It is remembered for great level design, innovative enemies and sound controls.

In this Mario title, the land of Sarassland has been invaded, and princess Daisy stolen! Being the good Samaritan you are, Mario must save Princess Daisy and restore order to Sarassland!

Super Mario Land covers 12 worlds, each with 3 levels and a different theme. The theme goes from pyramids, to underwater paradise, to Easter Island and to the Ninja lands of China. Each plays host to unique enemies, while all have Goombas and Koopas (who shells cannot be thrown, instead they explode!) The unique enemies means that you have to change your strategy on each world to make it easier to progress. Finally, at the end of worlds 2 and 4, you will hop into a submarine or plane respectively, shooting down enemies and defeating the final boss.

Mario's power-up roster, although heavily depleted, still has the basics and, in a way, means that you will have to spend more time jumping smartly and using strategy to defeat enemies rather than spam the fireball button. Mario has 3 major power-ups: Mushroom, which transforms you into Super Mario, the star, which makes you invincible for a short period of time,and Super Ball Mario. Instead of being able to fire a standard fire ball, Mario can fire a "Super Ball", which bounces on all walls and obstacles until it either leaves the screen, or evaporates. Each power-up aids to Mario's
quest, but are less necessary than other Mario titles.

World 1-1

World 2-3

There are four boss battles, each quite different from the previous. The first boss is a Sphinx-like monster who breathes fire, similar to Bowser. The second one is a giant Seahorse, which swims around and breathes fire (underwater? That's Mario for you) as well as having a massive Super Ball bouncing around the level. The third boss battle has some voodoo guy throwing boulders at you, which you have to dodge and jump on in perfect timing to defeat him. And the final one features a massive ship, which re-generates and turns into a mega monster after killing him once. These boss battles are perfect tests of acquired knowledge, they fit the theme and are challenging yet fun to beat.

Graphics: 7/10
The sprites are great for a first-impression. But, when compared to the likes of its sequel, the original's graphics look very primitive. They are clunky, and the sprites look similar to the Game & Watch series. But, for the initial leap into handheld gaming, Super Mario World's graphics were a decent addition to Mario's arsenal.

Sound: 8.5/10
The sound is catchy and pleasing to hear, much like any Mario title. For the GameBoy, these tunes were golden: Every time you heard the tune when at the mall you would see everyone have that cheesy smile on their face. The music adds brilliantly to the themes of the respective worlds, and world 1-1's music, CLASSIC!
Super Mario Land Music

Controls/Gameplay:9/10
Moving back to the simplistic side of things really rewarded the franchise. The only problem I had with Mario 3's power-ups was that it detracted from what made Mario good in the first place: smart jumping. Super Mario Land brought that back to the series: it simplified the power-up roster, had level design that supported timing and precision and made the game short to keep with the on-the-go ideal: You can finish this game on a 20-30 minute car trip. The only thing that keeps it back is the controls: You could no longer control Mario in the air as effectively and you didn't build up momentum, meaning you couldn't slide under gaps.

Replay Value: 8/10
The replay value of Super Mario Land is quite good for a linear-style game. There is an enhanced difficulty level for those who beat the game, but most important is the fact that its length means you can beat this game in one sitting, meaning that replay is easy to achieve yet fun in the process.

Overall: 8.5
"Good"

A classic in every sense of the word, Super Mario Land will make you want even more from the plumber in red. Although not as good as the NES original, Super Mario Land is still a great game. The level design, memorable enemies and killer soundtrack will suck you in and never, ever let you out. After nearly 20 years, my love for Super Mario Land remains unchanged: It is a game that MUST be played.

Next Time: Where Sega went wrong...

Published by
Finishing the Fight
SegaSlayer33 will become famous soon enoughSegaSlayer33 will become famous soon enough
Sponsored Links
By da Beef on 03-14-2009, 08:55 PM
this game had amazing music
By Ausden on 03-15-2009, 01:16 PM
I spent sooooo many hours playing this game. I loved it. Great review.
By Saru786 on 03-20-2009, 12:45 AM
This game...was the greatest for the GB. I still have it and got it as a gift for my birthday from my great bro, I'm so happy he gave me this game. The music in this game was killer as hell, too great, made my ears couldn't stop hearing it, just wanted to put my ear to the GB all the way through. Good times, oh, and great review!
By SegaSlayer33 on 03-21-2009, 11:30 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
70%70%70%
Storyline
70%70%70%
Controls/Gameplay
95%95%95%
Sound
85%85%85%
Average 80%
You should of done what I did and stolen my big bros ear phones
By SegaSlayer33 on 04-20-2009, 04:41 AM
Member reviews
Graphics
70%70%70%
Storyline
70%70%70%
Controls/Gameplay
95%95%95%
Sound
85%85%85%
Average 80%
Yeah, trust me to steal stuff
Last edited by SegaSlayer33; 04-20-2009 at 04:50 AM..
By Smooth Criminal on 04-20-2009, 04:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SegaSlayer33 View Post
Yeah, trust me to steal stuff
Yes, trust you
By Superness26 on 08-04-2009, 07:25 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
75%75%75%
Storyline
80%80%80%
Controls/Gameplay
95%95%95%
Sound
90%90%90%
Average 85%
Sm Mario

One of the best Gameboy games out there.
By Beasty on 03-31-2010, 12:33 PM
the song off 2:12 will be in my mind forever it's awesome
By PlanetNintendo64 on 03-31-2010, 01:00 PM
I loved this game, I remember being addicted to it when I finally got it for my Gameboy. The soundtrack was amazing, this game also made me a Mario/Daisy fan for while.
Comment

Tags
daisy, game boy, mario, super mario land