Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Gaming News

Notices

Gaming News Gaming News around the world.

Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 12:15 AM   #1
SegaSlayer33
Finishing the Fight
Points: 21,468, Level: 92 Points: 21,468, Level: 92 Points: 21,468, Level: 92
User owns 1x Nintendo Game Boy Advance User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Classic User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Remote User owns 1x Nintendo Wii User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x SNES Controller

My Mood: Thinking
SegaSlayer33 will become famous soon enoughSegaSlayer33 will become famous soon enough

Awards Showcase
Royalty Poster Game Reviewer 
Total Awards: 3

PSN ID: Get your own Xbox Live Gamertag: Get your own
Talking Schools in Osaka, Japan require DS for learning

Now here's a lucky break for some kids in Japan: Reporters that in ten elementary and middle schools in Osaka are going to be requiring their students to have a Nintendo DS. Better still, the school board is going to be the one distributing them, and the students will be using a variety of software to aid them in their studies.

According to some, not everyone is so happy about the decision. "The biggest complaint is about the use of taxpayer's money going straight into Nintendo's deep pockets," they say. "Hell, if they are going to go this far why not just make Nintendo part of the Japanese government? What's next, Wii Fit in gym class?"

Wait, I thought some schools were already doing that?

Or maybe that was the point.

In any case, it is worth noting that unlike the American DS library, the Japanese catalog of titles is full of all kinds of good learning material:
"If you've ever looked at the Japanese DS library, there is a plethora of study games that help you learn any number of languages, help you improve your kanji (oh how I use those games), or even help you read books. On top of that, there's plenty in terms of science and math practice, and only a select few of those items have come over to the US. We're only seeing bits, from the My Japanese Coach and its ilk and Brain Age, which really doesn't even teach you anything."
It will be interesting to see how well this works out... I just wish that such a thing were implemented when I was in school, I might have done better in some subjects. I guess the trade-off is that at least I got to grow up alongside the industry, and I wouldn't trade that experience for all the educational software in the world.

...besides which, I doubt the kids get to actually keep any of it.

To see an index of my review, click here
Latest review: Ristar
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2009, 06:57 AM   #2
AlloftheAbove
Numbah Wan
Points: 23,681, Level: 94 Points: 23,681, Level: 94 Points: 23,681, Level: 94
User owns 1x Purple Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Yellow Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Blue Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Red Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Green Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Light Blue Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Grey Chaos Emerald

My Mood: Gaming
AlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Review of the Month Review of the Month Review of the Month NFF's 4th Annual Award NFF Old Man Award NFF Referrer Review of the Month Review of the Month 
Total Awards: 38

3DS Friend Code: 4382-1995-8800 Xbox Live Gamertag: RaptorWaffles WiiU ID: AlloftheAbove
I want to be Japanese...
Old 03-14-2009, 08:50 AM   #3
Konata
The NEET Thing To Do
Points: 38,113, Level: 100 Points: 38,113, Level: 100 Points: 38,113, Level: 100
User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x Purple Pikmin User owns 1x White Pikmin User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Yellow Pikmin User owns 1x Red Pikmin
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Gold Cucoo User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Princess Ruto

My Mood: Inspired
Konata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Signature of the Month NFF Referrer Signature of the Month NFF Annual Awards NFF Bachelor Award Member of the Month Level 100 Award NFF Old Man Award 
Total Awards: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alloftheabove View Post
I want to be Japanese...
Why? It's just crap education games, wow, i wanna have the crap life style of the japanese for that as well.

My little sister can't be this non-existent

Old 03-14-2009, 09:54 AM   #4
op89x
Not on the review team
Points: 3,648, Level: 37 Points: 3,648, Level: 37 Points: 3,648, Level: 37
User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 1x Warpstar User owns 1x Princess Ruto User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Nintendo Wii User owns 1x Nintendo Game Boy Advance
User owns 1x Princess Peach Crown User owns 1x Frog Suit User owns 1x Red Shell User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Green Shell User owns 1x Gold Coin User owns 1x Fire Flower
User owns 1x Magic Cape Feather User owns 1x Water Element

op89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the rough

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Monster Poster Poster 
Total Awards: 2

Could have been done better using computers and educational software.

Old 03-14-2009, 01:21 PM   #5
Saru786
Enter Sandman
Points: 7,638, Level: 58 Points: 7,638, Level: 58 Points: 7,638, Level: 58

Saru786 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Send a message via MSN to Saru786 Send a message via Yahoo to Saru786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryn1030 View Post
Why? It's just crap education games, wow, i wanna have the crap life style of the japanese for that as well.
You will never get a job.

BTW, seems like a good idea, I would like to see that happen in American schools, would be cool.
Old 03-14-2009, 01:46 PM   #6
Konata
The NEET Thing To Do
Points: 38,113, Level: 100 Points: 38,113, Level: 100 Points: 38,113, Level: 100
User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x Purple Pikmin User owns 1x White Pikmin User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Yellow Pikmin User owns 1x Red Pikmin
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Gold Cucoo User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Princess Ruto

Konata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Signature of the Month NFF Referrer Signature of the Month NFF Annual Awards NFF Bachelor Award Member of the Month Level 100 Award NFF Old Man Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saru786 View Post

BTW, seems like a good idea, I would like to see that happen in American schools, would be cool.
How will i never got a job? You must be mentally ill or something, because what i said had no relevance to being able to work.

Old 03-14-2009, 01:52 PM   #7
Saru786
Enter Sandman
Points: 7,638, Level: 58 Points: 7,638, Level: 58 Points: 7,638, Level: 58

Saru786 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Send a message via MSN to Saru786 Send a message via Yahoo to Saru786
I wasn't referring to what you said about the educational games.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:57 PM   #8
SegaSlayer33
Finishing the Fight
User owns 1x Nintendo Game Boy Advance User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Classic User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Remote User owns 1x Nintendo Wii User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x SNES Controller

SegaSlayer33 will become famous soon enoughSegaSlayer33 will become famous soon enough

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saru786 View Post

I assume you still go to school?

and as for Kryn...

Old 03-14-2009, 03:11 PM   #9
Konata
The NEET Thing To Do

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by SegaSlayer33 View Post
I assume you still go to school?

and as for Kryn...
And as for you, douche

Old 03-14-2009, 03:58 PM   #10
SegaSlayer33
Finishing the Fight

Awards Showcase

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh,

I'm trembling in my socks...

Closed Thread

Tags
japan, nintendo, nintendo ds, osaka