Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Other Reviews

Notices

Other Reviews Playstation, Xbox, PC, or any other console game Review. Also console reviews too

Comment

Review Tools
Resident Evil 5 Review
Resident Evil 5 Review
A Fear You Can't Forget
Published by Konata
03-14-2009
Author review
Graphics
100%100%100%
Storyline
95%95%95%
Controls/Gameplay
90%90%90%
Sound
100%100%100%
Average 96%
Resident Evil 5 Review

My review for Resident Evil 5,, lately released addition to the Resident Evil series.

Some Gameplay...
Remember, trailers only show half the fun you can have..

Time for some storyline, don't ya think? Well, the story is a direct sequel to Resident Evil 4, and has been said to "Naturally proceed from where Resident Evil 4 left off". The game takes place 10 years after the original Resident Evil, and the main story will be about Chris Redfield's life between the 10 years. Chris Redfield is the main character who you play as, and is a member of the Bioterrorism Security Assessment Alliance, or the BSAA. His mission is to investigate a desert area where a serious incident has happened. The desert area is the games main setting, and it is located in Africa. During the game you will also have a female partner, Sheva Alomar, who is an agent with the BSAA. She will follow you during the game and assist you buy collecting ammo and herbs, and helping kill enemies. She will automatically heal you, if she has any herbs, when you go low on health. The same applies for ammo. A final thing she is there for is that at certain parts you will need a partner to help you reach the next destination. The main enemies of the game are Albert Wesker and Excella Gionne.

Resident Evil 5 uses the same over the shoulder view as Resident Evil 4, and you will control Chris in the same way that you controlled Leon. While aiming you can't move, again just like RE4, so you have to think quickly and aim at the right places when shooting. The best thing to do when there are quite a bit of enemies in a group, is too shoot one in the head, and then as its holding its head down, run up to it and press the square button to perform a move which will make it hit the others. This is an easy way to damage a few enemies, but a quick way would be to throw a grenade in there. The controls are pretty much easy to use, hold L1 to aim, and press R1 to shoot. You press the Triangle button to open up your inventory, and move things around using the X button. You can hold L2 to get out your knife, and use R1 to swing it. R2 brings up your map in the top right corner of the screen.

An easy way to get the "Drive By" trophy right there.

The weapons in the game can be found around each level/chapter, but not all of them, and so they can be bought at the end of each level, or when you die. Of course, you can upgrade the weapons so they do more damage, the reloading time is quicker, they can hold more bullets or some you can upgrade to have a different feature. For example, Rifles can be upgraded to Semi-Auto. Each upgrade costs money, and the higher the level of the upgrade the more it costs. For example, the first upgrade would be $200, and the second would be $500. Here's a list of the weapons available...

Handguns - M92FS - H&K P8 - Sig P226 - Beretta M93R - Berreta PX4 - S100 - Samurai Edge

Magnums - S&W M29 - Desert Eagle - S&W M500

Shotgun - Ithaca M37 - Benelli M3 - Striker - Sawn Off Shotgun

Sub-Machine Guns - H&K MP5 - Skorpion

Assault Rifles - AK74 - SIG 556 - Gatling Gun

Rifles - Sako S75 - Dragunov - PSG1

Explosives - Flash Grenade - Explosive Grenade - Flame Grenade - Grenade Launcher - Rocket Launcher - Noctovision Rocket Launcher - Infinity Rocket Launcher

Miscellaneous - Egg - Stunrod - Flamethrower - Bowgun

Not Dr. Salvador anymore, just some mad Arab maniac

A feature returning to Resident Evil 5 that was in RE3 and RE4, is the Mercenaries Mini Game. This mini game basically puts the player into a level, with an endless amount of enemies to deal with. Although there is hardly any ammo or health, and so this is what makes it more challenging. In the mini game you will have a time limit to kill as many enemies as possible, but the enemies are harder than your usual encounter, and you'll need to make sure every bullet counts. You can choose to play the Mercenaries Mini Game as Chris or Sheva, but there isn't really any difference. Before you can play the mini game you must complete story mode, so that's another reason to keep going to complete the game.

The levels you are put into during the game look pretty much like levels from the actual story mode, but each level has been modified so it can suit the mini game. The mini game is pretty much the same as it was in RE4, except obviously different levels, enemies, and weapons. There are a few minor tweaks in it, and the gameplay features are also altered slightly. As for controls you couldn't really say, with it being on different consoles before. Another thing you can do in the mini game is collect treasures, which will earn you extra points to your score. The obvious other way of getting points is by killing enemies, and there is always a variety of enemies to kill. The new features that are there don't really improve it much, but it's still as great as it was in RE4.

Not really a mission to be honest, is it?

Now for a few words on the ratings..
Graphics - The graphics in this game are amazing, the physics are perfect for the movement, and the landscape looks amazing, i think this deserves a 10/10.

Storyline - A great storyline, Chris goes to find Jill because he thinks she's still alive, Wesker also is, it's not perfect, but i'm giving it a 9.5/10.

Controls/Gameplay - The gameplay is just like RE4's, except slightly better, but the controls are also very similar, and i was hoping they would have improved some of it a bit, 9/10.

Sound - The sound is as good as it could be, with the changing of music during combat, and the silence at times when you can just hear your footsteps, it's just brilliant, 10/10.

Overall, i give Resident Evil 5 96%. It's a perfect sequel to RE4, and i can't wait for the next game.

Next Review - Mirrors Edge
Published by
The NEET Thing To Do
Konata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Konata Send a message via Yahoo to Konata
Sponsored Links
By AlloftheAbove on 03-14-2009, 11:04 PM
Nice review. Still doesn't make me want a PS3 though.
By K!NGZACH on 03-15-2009, 12:28 AM
i still think i'll only rent it, X-Play gave it 3 out of 5. great review though.
By SirManguydude on 03-15-2009, 03:54 AM
Xplay also only gave RE4 a 3 out of 5, and Mario Galaxy a 3/5. Every game on Xplay that isn't a FPS gets 3 out of 5.
By SeanMi on 03-15-2009, 12:21 PM
lol good one sirmanguydude.
I think its worth buying, because of replay value online. RE4 still takes the cake though. RE4 is one of the best games of all time.

Good review, but you didn't list alot of negitives, or problem that might occur.
Still, a good info filled review.
By Ausden on 03-15-2009, 01:15 PM
Good review. And X-play is the worst. I stopped listen to them years ago when I realized they were biased. That, and the fact G4 barely plays shows related to what G4 is supposed to be about....Gaming! (Off-topic) Enough with Cops already.
By Wiidude on 03-18-2009, 12:40 AM
good game review. wiidude says this is better then resident evil 4.
By safcrhys on 03-18-2009, 11:46 AM
I can't wait to pick this up, good review mate.
By Keyman4 on 03-18-2009, 12:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausden View Post
Good review. And X-play is the worst. I stopped listen to them years ago when I realized they were biased. That, and the fact G4 barely plays shows related to what G4 is supposed to be about....Gaming! (Off-topic) Enough with Cops already.

True!!!!
By Konata on 03-18-2009, 03:52 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
100%100%100%
Storyline
95%95%95%
Controls/Gameplay
90%90%90%
Sound
100%100%100%
Average 96%
Thanks everyone for the comments, and yeah, Resident Evil 4 is still the best.
Comment