Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Nintendo Wii Reviews

Notices

Nintendo Wii Reviews Section for all Nintendo Wii Game Reviews and Wiiware Reviews

Comment

Review Tools
Call of Duty: World at War
Take the fight to Germany
Published by safcrhys
03-18-2009
Author review
Graphics
80%80%80%
Storyline
75%75%75%
Controls/Gameplay
85%85%85%
Sound
90%90%90%
Average 83%

Lots of Nintendo fans (including myself it must be said) were left devastated when it was announced that Call of Duty 4 Wouldn't be coming to the Wii, and when I went over my freinds house to have a go on his Playstation 3 I was so jealous, that game was amazing. So I was glad to hear the news that the new Call of Duty would be making an appearance on Nintendo's home console, using CoD4's game engine.

Sadly, it seems that in order to get the best out of any war game, you need a machine capable of delivering amazing graphics, the Wii cannot do this, so there have been many comparisons to CoD3. The Wii cannot match the PS3 or the Xbox for shear power.

Even so, this is a fairly good crack at making the reality of war come to us and taking us and taking us away into the heat of battle. There are 2 fronts to fight on, the Americans "island hopping" campaign and the Russian's advance into Germany. The storyline is OK, but could perhaps be a little clearer, often the gamer is thrushed into the action of a random town or island with the ultimate goal of destroying all the Germans or Japanese in the area.

American troops fighting in Japan

The graphics are OK, they aren't the best on the Wii by any means, but they certainly help bring the reality of war home. However, I cannot fault the sound, gunshots sound very real and explosions are loud and deafening. Character voices are tidy, and you can hear enemy troops speaking in their native language throughout the game.

Controls are neat and tidy, see below for a guide. The only problem I have is sometimes when you aim at an enemy and you have your crosshairs fixed on them and you shoot. Sometimes nothing happens, the enemy doesn't die and have time to find out where you shot from and kill you. This happens alot particularly when the enemy is moving around.

The battles are intense affairs and you have many weapons all capable of doing alot of damage to the enemy. These all range from handguns and rifles through to flamethrowers and molotov cocktails. You also get to drive tanks which have the ability to hail a firestorm onto the enemy.

Flamethrower

There are numerous difficulties ranging from recruit to veteran (the last of which is incredibly hard) which means the game has plenty of replay value.

It is quite long for a war game, with maybe 10+ levels each for the Russians and Americans. There is an insane amount of action in there, the only thing I would say is be wary of the amount of grenades that get thrown. There seems to be an incredible amount and its no wonder lots of people get killed in wars when 2 of these little guys get thrown every second.

I would recommend this game to anyone, especially because there is a good online option which could keep you entertained when you have completed the game. There are numerous types of games online, and it is a good challenge to try and boost your rank. Can you become the number 1 Call of Duty player in the world?

More to come...
Published by
safcrhys is an unknown quantity at this point
Sponsored Links
By Linkage on 03-21-2009, 10:53 PM
this is a superb game. Well done and prefer the WWII ones. Decent review r u going to finish?
By nintendodsifan on 03-23-2009, 11:23 AM
Totally love this game!
By DarkLegacy on 03-24-2009, 03:49 PM
Nice review I love COD games
By safcrhys on 03-25-2009, 02:26 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
80%80%80%
Storyline
75%75%75%
Controls/Gameplay
85%85%85%
Sound
90%90%90%
Average 83%
Yes I will get this finished as soon as I can, I have been rather busy in the past week with college work.
By AlloftheAbove on 03-30-2009, 03:46 AM
Want.
Comment