Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Nintendo Wii Reviews

Notices

Nintendo Wii Reviews Section for all Nintendo Wii Game Reviews and Wiiware Reviews

Comment

Review Tools
New Play Control Pikmin Review.
A Kryn1030 Review
Published by Konata
03-18-2009
Author review
Graphics
85%85%85%
Storyline
90%90%90%
Controls/Gameplay
90%90%90%
Sound
100%100%100%
Average 91%

My review for the first game released in the New Play Control range, which is Pikmin 1.

Pikmin 1 Gameplay
Basic Gameplay, again remember, video's only show 10% of how much fun you can have.

Pikmin is a strategy game which involves you playing as Captain Olimar, an astronaut from Planet Hocotate, who has crash landed on a uncharted planet (Earth) and his ship, The Dophin, is missing various parts which need to be found in order for him to return home. While on the planet he finds a small thing buried in the ground which looks like a carrot, he picks it and finds out it is alive, he then names these the Pikmin, because they look like a brand of carrot from his planet. Using the help of this Pikmin and soon many more, he must find his missing 30 ship parts. Of course, this won't be easy, the ship parts are scattered over 4 locations. If that wasn't bad enough, he only has 30 days to do it in, or his air will run out, due to the fact he cannot live on oxygen. 30 parts, 30 days, you'd think it was easy.

Now, not saying Pikmin is hard, which it isn't, it is actually pretty easy. But it isn't as easy as just finding a part each day. To get the parts you'll need Pikmin, but to get to the parts you'll have to use your Pikmin to fight off various monsters that you encounter. The reason it isn't so simple its because when you fight these monsters your bound to lose Pikmin, and soon if you lose too many you'll have to re-build your army. So some of your 30 days will be used up on building your army up ready for the next day, so it's important you get more than one part of The Dolphin a day if possible. More Pikmin can be made by, what I call, "Recycling" pill shaped items or enemies into your Pikmins Onion. The Onion is basically where the Pikmin retire to each night. The pills can be found almost everywhere, and your Pikmin must carry them to the Onion, but be careful that they aren't attacked while carrying them. Each pill has a number on it, that's the minimum amount of Pikmin you need to carry it, the maximum amount is double of what the minimum is.

A Burrowing Snagret, there's a ship part to get after killing this.

Enemies are the same as the pills, they have a minimum amount of Pikmin needed to carry them, and a maximum amount, although they don't have a number on them. To find out how many Pikmin you need to carry an enemy you have to make a Pikmin grab the body by throwing one at it, and 2 numbers will appear above the enemies head. The top number will be the number of Pikmin trying to lift the body, the bottom number is how many you need. Again, you can make more carry the body, which makes the Pikmin carry it to the Onion quicker. When an enemy/pill goes into the Onion, the number on Pikmin produced asexually from the Onion will depend on the size of the enemy/pill. For example, a pill that needed 5 Pikmin to carry would produce 5 Pikmin. When new Pikmin are produced asexually, they are planted under ground around the Onion, and are protected from enemy attack. You can choose to pick these straight away, or wait for them to grow.

If you pick them straight away, they will have leafs on their heads, like most of your Pikmin so far probably do if you haven't played it before. There are 3 types of things a Pikmin can have on it's head, which effect it's speed in running and attacking. These are Leaf (Slow), Bud (Average), and Flower (Fast). There are 2 different ways in Pikmin 1 to upgrade your Pikmin's head. The first way is when you have new Pikmin produced asexually from the Onion, leave them in the ground. The Pikmin will first change to Bud after a while, and then soon later they'll turn into Flowers. Once they are flowers pick them, and when you run they will be keeping up with you all the time. They'll also attack enemies much faster. The second way to upgrade their heads would be to find a yellow jelly substance. When a Pikmin drinks this they will automatically turn into a Flower. You can use your whistle to bundle them all up into the liquid/jelly, which will make them all take a sip from it, and all turn into flowers. Making sure all of them are Bud or Flowers is important, because it gives you a better advantage when in combat, and a less chance of them dying and you having to retreat and start again.

What's the point in just standing there?! You've only got 30 days you fool!

Time for some info on the actual Pikmin. There are 3 types in Pikmin 1, Red, Yellow, and Blue. Each of them have different features and abilities.

The Red Pikmin are stronger than the Blue and Yellow, and are invulnerable to fire, although they are the slowest of the three. The distinct features they have would obviously be being Red, and they also are the only Pikmin which has an actual nose. These Pikmin are best used for a full on attack on large enemies, just get about 50 of these, stand next to an enemy, and pelt them on it like there's no tomorrow. You'll obviously need more of these than any other colour, and with these being the first colour you get, you'll usually have more at the end of the game anyway.
The Blue Pikmin are the middle speed and middle strength of the three Pikmin, so they are well balanced. Their special ability is that they're able to walk into water, unlike the other two Pikmin, which would drown. Another thing Blue Pikmin can do is life saving. If there's a Red or Yellow Pikmin drowning, throw a Blue Pikmin in and it'll carry the other Pikmin out to safety. The features on the Pikmin's body that will distinguish it are again, obviously the colour Blue, but this Pikmin has a mouth and gills, which is what allows it to breath underwater. These Pikmin will be needed for mainly fetching things from across water which other Pikmin cannot reach. There's a ship part or two you'll need these to get.
The Yellow Pikmin are the fastest out of the three, but are the weakest. There special abilities are being that they're able to be thrown higher than the other Pikmin, allowing them to reach parts other Pikmin couldn't, and there other ability is that they are able to pick up bomb rocks. Bomb rocks are, well, rocks that are bombs. You'll need your Pikmin to carry these to a solid wall to blow up, 3 bomb rocks usually do it. The distinguished features are it's Yellow colour, and this is the only Pikmin which has ears. The Yellow Pikmin are mainly needed to be able to get to new areas, but are helpful when fighting flying enemies in case they are too high for other Pikmin to reach. If you do throw a Yellow Pikmin at a flying enemy it'll be able to cling onto it and bring it down if there's enough attached.

Ahh yes, I remember finding my first part...

There isn't really much to say about the enemies, there are basically 3 types, Small, medium, and large. Obviously the small ones are the easiest to kill and need less Pikmin to carry, with this getting harder as the enemies get bigger. The main type of enemy is a Bulborb, easy to find and kill, and takes 5 Pikmin to carry. If you throw a Pikmin directly onto it's back, it'll squish it killing it instantly. An example of a bigger enemy would be a Goolix. These are what appear to be giant bubbles, with two nuclei visible inside of it, one of which is small and blue, and the other large and yellow. It'll kill your Pikmin by practically eating them, and drowning them from the inside, the only Pikmin vulnerable to this are your Blue's. To kill it you must throw Pikmin at it above one of the nuclei. If Pikmin continuously hit one of its nuclei for a few seconds, both nuclei will bang together, causing all the Pikmin it has swallowed to be thrown out of it, after a few bangs the Goolix should die. When it dies it explodes into a puddle (which dries up in seconds), but there isn't a single nucleus left behind, was it an illusion? It will however let out five random coloured 5 Pills/Pellets.

Main Game Theme Music
Such a great main theme, definitely one of the best.

Now a few words on the stats...

Graphics - Sure they're good and look pretty cool, but for a Wii game they should have been improved, and you can see that they obviously weren't. I give it an 8.5/10.

Storyline - Olimar crash lands and uses small creatures called Pikmin to help him get off the planet in less than 30 days? Great story, but it could have had a bit more to it, like extra characters. 9/10.

Controls/Gameplay - The controls are obviously new, but something doesn't quite feel right about it. As for the gameplay, it's still as good as I remember it being on the Gamecube, which is a good thing, if they changed that it'd be a complete mess up. 9/10.

Sound - The sound effects and music in this game are great, each of the tunes is peaceful, (except for the boss battle music which is also great), and it gives you a relaxed feeling when playing it. The bit that makes me want to give this a 10/10 even more is the little sound the Pikmin make when you throw/pluck them, and when they sing with each other. 10/10.

Next Review - Mirrors Edge
Future Reviews - New Play Control Pikmin 2, Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3: Ultimate Edition, The Godfather 2.
Published by
The NEET Thing To Do
Konata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Konata Send a message via Yahoo to Konata
Sponsored Links
By Skullz on 03-19-2009, 03:34 PM
Great review. I didn't plan on getting this game at all but this review is really making me think.
By Xenon on 03-22-2009, 12:15 AM
Mmm. I want this game now! It definitely looks cool, much better than it would be on the GameCube.
By Konata on 03-22-2009, 06:24 AM
Member reviews
Graphics
85%85%85%
Storyline
90%90%90%
Controls/Gameplay
90%90%90%
Sound
100%100%100%
Average 91%
Yeah, you should get it really, but Pikmin 2 which i have on the GC, is coming out on the Wii in the EU on 24th April, and it's FAR better than Pikmin 1.

So you might want to wait for that or get this one to get the full story.
By Skullz on 03-22-2009, 09:46 AM
It doesn't really matter if you skip Pikmin because the game doesn't have much in-depth story but playing the first ones are always the way to go. And Kryn, you'll probably be surprised to hear that some people actually prefer Pikmin as opposed to Pikmin 2. Something about the 30 days thing making it more challenging. But that was the reason I never completed the game.
By CarboKill on 04-18-2009, 07:10 AM
Well, i'm not surprised when skull kid says that people prefer pikmin 1 to 2, because it is a good game. Nice reviewing techniques, there.
By Rin on 04-18-2009, 09:39 AM
I played this and Pikmin 2, and tbqh, they're about even with me. Either way, very nice review mate :3
By felixpepper on 04-18-2009, 09:47 AM
Cooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool!
By Rin on 04-18-2009, 09:54 AM
Was that really necessary Felix? that's borderline spam right there.

Eh, maybe I should lighten up a bit. :3
By felixpepper on 04-20-2009, 03:48 AM
Sorry! I got bored and decided just to right a word but thought it was to boring so i spruced it up a bit!
Comment