Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Nintendo DS Reviews

Notices

Nintendo DS Reviews Section for all Nintendo DS and DSI Reviews

Comment

Review Tools
Resident Evil
Resident Evil
Survive the horror
Published by safcrhys
03-19-2009
Author review
Graphics
65%65%65%
Storyline
75%75%75%
Controls/Gameplay
80%80%80%
Sound
60%60%60%
Average 70%
Resident Evil

The first ever game in the Resident Evil series (originally released on the PlayStation) was ported onto the Nintendo DS in 2005, and in the months before launch many people were excited by what the game had in store with rumours of a Resident Evil 4 "over the shoulder" view being incorporated into the game. However, true to its roots the game stayed with the camera in a fixed position, it was essentially just the original version with nothing changed, although there were a few goodies hidden in there exclusivey for the Nintendo DS, however, more on that later.

Before you start the game you can choose which character you want to complete it with, you can either choose to be Jill Valentine or Chris Redfield, both have advantages and disadvantages aswell as their own unique storyline. So the game has plenty of replay value, Jill has more space to carry items than Chris, however, Chris is tougher than Jill and can withstand alot of damage.

Time for the storyline, in Racoon City there have been a number of grizly murders where groups of people have broken into a house, went upstairs and devoured victims before making their way back into the sanctuary of Racoon Forest. The RPD (Racoon Police Department) are forced to respond and send their best team S.T.A.R.S (Special Tactics and Rescue Squad) into the forest to find and capture the perpetrators.

S.T.A.R.S are broken up into to squads, Alpha and Bravo, Bravo team are sent in first, but the helicopter they are flying in suffers engine trouble and they have to make an emergency landing, that is where the RPD lost contact with the team. The following day Alpha team are sent in to locate their missing comrades, they find the helicopter with a half eaten body inside and soon enough they are being chased by mutant dogs, they manage to make their way to a mansion and that is where the nightmare begins...

The weapons in the game vary from Handguns through to Shotguns and in the end even Rocket Launchers can be used, your trusty knife is also a good option to use and at certain points, you are forced into using it. Sometimes when you go through doors you are faced with the daunting prospect of a zombie or more coming at you, and you have to slash the stylus across the screen in order to deal with them, tapping the screen counts as a jab. It is a nice touch and one that relieves the monotony of constantly standing and aiming at something you can't often see due to the awkward camera angle.

Ratings:

Graphics: 6.5 - Playstation 1 graphics so not groundbreaking, but the DSes capabilities mean that not much can be done here.

Storyline: 7.5 - Confusing at times, the mansion is so big and at first you don't know what has happened there, but in the end it all comes together.

Controls: 8.0 - Do everything you could ask, and the stylus often needs to be used but it is no problem.

Sound: 7.0 - Quite bad, the voice acting isn't realistic at all and the background music doesn't freak you out like current Resi games do.

Overall: 7.5/10 - It is a good attempt at a horror game on the DS but the fact that it is the original version all over again sort of devalues it, afterall, it was already remade on the Gamecube. The sound is what makes it lose another half a mark, it really is quite bad and instead of making you nervous, it doesn't have any effect at all.
Published by
safcrhys is an unknown quantity at this point
Sponsored Links
By Keyman4 on 03-22-2009, 03:00 PM
Wow, I never knew they had RE for DS........

Do you have this safcrhys??????????????
By Rai17 on 03-22-2009, 07:01 PM
This game wasn't all that bad...and my best record is finishing it under an hour and 10 min!!! Yay!!!
Bt I was hoping they's add Lisa..
By DarkLegacy on 03-24-2009, 02:54 PM
I didn't like this game I want a first person Resi Evil game!
By Konata on 03-24-2009, 03:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by randommonk59 View Post
*Shoots*

RE won't be the same as an FPS.
By SirManguydude on 03-24-2009, 10:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by randommonk59 View Post
They have THREE first person shooter Resident Evils.

Resident Evil: Survivor
Resident Evil: Survivor 2 Code Veronica
Resident Evil: Dead Aim
By Konata on 03-25-2009, 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirManguydude View Post
They have THREE first person shooter Resident Evils.

Resident Evil: Survivor
Resident Evil: Survivor 2 Code Veronica
Resident Evil: Dead Aim
Notice them 3 all suck?

Like i said in my last post,, it wouldn't be the same >_<
By SirManguydude on 03-25-2009, 01:11 PM
Code Veronica was all right
Dead Aim was probably the best out of them.
By safcrhys on 03-25-2009, 01:24 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
65%65%65%
Storyline
75%75%75%
Controls/Gameplay
80%80%80%
Sound
60%60%60%
Average 70%
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyman4 View Post
Wow, I never knew they had RE for DS........

Do you have this safcrhys??????????????
Yes I have had it for a few years now.
Comment