Nintendo Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > General Forum > General Chat > WorldWide News, Politics & Religion

Notices

WorldWide News, Politics & Religion Title Says It All

Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 02:07 AM   #1
Ender
Don't mess wif him
Points: 3,031, Level: 33 Points: 3,031, Level: 33 Points: 3,031, Level: 33
User owns 1x Cucoo User owns 1x Tanooki Suit

My Mood: Nerdy
Ender is a jewel in the roughEnder is a jewel in the roughEnder is a jewel in the rough

Awards Showcase
NFF 1st Annual Award NFF Debater 
Total Awards: 2

Xbox Live Gamertag: batmanbirdboy
Teacher fired for having sex out of wedlock

An unmarried fifth-grade teacher says she was forced to resign from her job at a Catholic grade school in Wabasha, Minnesota, after she told administrators she was pregnant. Emily Prigge, who signed a conduct contract with St. Felix school requiring her to set a "Christian" example, says the school told her she had violated that contract by having premarital sex. U.S. courts have generally held that private religious schools can fire employees for premarital sex as long as conduct policies apply equally to both men and women. Nonetheless, Prigge is considering a lawsuit.

What do you think? Was she unfairly let go?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2009, 04:45 AM   #2
Jonjosuff ᴥ
Cheers, Jesus.
Points: 826, Level: 15 Points: 826, Level: 15 Points: 826, Level: 15

Jonjosuff ᴥ is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Jonjosuff ᴥ Send a message via Skype™ to Jonjosuff ᴥ Xbox Live Gamertag: KwehKwehKweh
She signed a contract, she broke it. As unfair as a postmodern society would think it is she broke the rules.

I find it a shame though that women could get pregnant and show they have had sex, whereas men don't have that. A little unfair, but beyond us I guess.

Was the school right to do it? If they wanted an example of Catholic life, and it meant the children would be (for lack of a better word) 'corrupt' because of it then again, if she knew what type of atmosphere and situation she was getting into I really can't see why she would complain AFTER she broke the rules.

Old 03-25-2009, 05:55 AM   #3
Xenon
The Space Pope
Points: 6,758, Level: 54 Points: 6,758, Level: 54 Points: 6,758, Level: 54
User owns 1x Rupee Bag User owns 1x Master Ball

My Mood: Spaced
Xenon is a jewel in the roughXenon is a jewel in the roughXenon is a jewel in the rough

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Royalty Poster NFF Debater 
Total Awards: 4

The school was definitely in the right. Whether she was a Catholic or not, she agreed to set an example, and she clearly did the opposite by having premarital sex, which almost all religions forbid. I don't think she'll be able to sue them...
Old 03-25-2009, 12:39 PM   #4
Konata
The NEET Thing To Do
Points: 37,030, Level: 100 Points: 37,030, Level: 100 Points: 37,030, Level: 100
User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x Purple Pikmin User owns 1x White Pikmin User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Yellow Pikmin User owns 1x Red Pikmin
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Gold Cucoo User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Princess Ruto

My Mood: Inspired
Konata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Signature of the Month NFF Referrer Signature of the Month NFF Annual Awards NFF Bachelor Award Member of the Month Level 100 Award NFF Old Man Award 
Total Awards: 13

Does it really matter if you have sex before you're married? If people wait until their married they don't have a clue about life.

My little sister can't be this non-existent

Old 03-25-2009, 03:02 PM   #5
Jonjosuff ᴥ
Cheers, Jesus.
Points: 826, Level: 15 Points: 826, Level: 15 Points: 826, Level: 15

Jonjosuff ᴥ is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Jonjosuff ᴥ Send a message via Skype™ to Jonjosuff ᴥ Xbox Live Gamertag: KwehKwehKweh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryn1030 View Post
Does it really matter if you have sex before you're married? If people wait until their married they don't have a clue about life.
It isn't really a debate about whether the school is right for following Christian doctrine, it's about her failing to follow an important agreement.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:01 PM   #6
Ender
Don't mess wif him

Ender is a jewel in the roughEnder is a jewel in the roughEnder is a jewel in the rough

Awards Showcase

I think you're all missing the point, which is not the fact that she broke the contract, but the fact that the contract is only valid if it is applied equally to men and women alike.

The fact of the matter is that she was not fired for having sex out of wedlock, she was fired for being PREGNANT.
How would a man get fired for having premarital sex?

And also, how would a pregnant teacher corrupt these kids minds?
Who cares if she's married or not?

I think that this contract is specifically prejudiced against women...
Old 03-25-2009, 09:49 PM   #7
op89x
Not on the review team
Points: 3,648, Level: 37 Points: 3,648, Level: 37 Points: 3,648, Level: 37
User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 1x Warpstar User owns 1x Princess Ruto User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Nintendo Wii User owns 1x Nintendo Game Boy Advance
User owns 1x Princess Peach Crown User owns 1x Frog Suit User owns 1x Red Shell User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Green Shell User owns 1x Gold Coin User owns 1x Fire Flower
User owns 1x Magic Cape Feather User owns 1x Water Element

op89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the rough

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Monster Poster Poster 

I see where you're coming from, Ender, but I have to disagree. The school is concerned about setting an example for students. They fired her because it is evident that she's had sex out of wedlock, not just because she's pregnant. Of course, being female, it's easier to tell that she's had sex, so she's at a disadvantage here when compared to her male counterparts. However, if a male teacher was known to have sex out of wedlock, they would have fired him, too.

So is she disadvantaged? Absolutely. But is it fair? Yes. Now how does that make sense, you ask? The fact of the matter is, women are disadvantaged based on natural realities. Sure, a man can hide premarital sex easier than a woman, but is that the question here? No. The question is whether or not she is being held to the same standard as men, which she probably is. Unless she can describe an instance where the school has had knowledge of a man having premarital sex and not fired him, she can't prove discrimination based on her sex.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:13 PM   #8
marvman3
Rockn Dude
Points: 16,100, Level: 81 Points: 16,100, Level: 81 Points: 16,100, Level: 81

My Mood: Rockn
marvman3 has a spectacular aura aboutmarvman3 has a spectacular aura about

Awards Showcase
Royalty Poster Joker Mufasa 
Total Awards: 4

PSN ID: PSN ID- marvman3 Xbox Live Gamertag: NOT AVAILABLE FOR ONLINE PLAY
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender View Post
I think you're all missing the point, which is not the fact that she broke the contract, but the fact that the contract is only valid if it is applied equally to men and women alike.

The fact of the matter is that she was not fired for having sex out of wedlock, she was fired for being PREGNANT.
How would a man get fired for having premarital sex?

And also, how would a pregnant teacher corrupt these kids minds?
Who cares if she's married or not?

I think that this contract is specifically prejudiced against women...

Those arguments highlighted in red are great points.

Marvman himself is Roman Catholic.....
but the means of her being this self proclaimed "example"
does not resolute to the end of 5th Graders having
the conciousness of seeing her as one.....
let alone the capacity to see her anything
beyond as being their teacher.

It may be a clause in the contract, but the validity
and reason of such an accord.....

Are unfounded, and therefore null of prejudice from her peers.

Teachers are "humans" too.....and humans make mistakes.....
having a clause in contract which contradicts your basic human right
to "f**k up"......doesn't justify the standards of morals involved.
Heresay.

Rockn.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:45 PM   #9
Ender
Don't mess wif him

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by op89x View Post
I see where you're coming from, Ender, but I have to disagree. The school is concerned about setting an example for students. They fired her because it is evident that she's had sex out of wedlock, not just because she's pregnant. Of course, being female, it's easier to tell that she's had sex, so she's at a disadvantage here when compared to her male counterparts. However, if a male teacher was known to have sex out of wedlock, they would have fired him, too.

So is she disadvantaged? Absolutely. But is it fair? Yes. Now how does that make sense, you ask? The fact of the matter is, women are disadvantaged based on natural realities. Sure, a man can hide premarital sex easier than a woman, but is that the question here? No. The question is whether or not she is being held to the same standard as men, which she probably is. Unless she can describe an instance where the school has had knowledge of a man having premarital sex and not fired him, she can't prove discrimination based on her sex.
Let me ask you this: Who's to say that she didn't artificially inseminate herself? I doubt she went up to the principal and said "Hey, I know I'm married and all, but I got knocked up." I'm sure she just went to the administrators and said she was pregnant, so she would need to take time off when the time came. The fact is, no one would know she had premarital sex if she hadn't have gotten pregnant. This shows undue prejudice against her simply because she is a female. She wasn't caught in the act, she didn't get ratted out through office gossip, she simply informed her superiors that she is pregnant.

Also, say if a male teacher somehow did get caught having premarital sex (I'm not exactly sure how this would happen, unless he told another teacher, which would be stupid on his part) how would this set a bad example for the children? It wouldn't, because he's not going to tell his fourth graders what he did with the chick he picked up at the bar last weekend.

So basically this policy does not apply to men at all, period. Therefore, it should not apply to women, because that's sexual prejudice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvman3 View Post
Those arguments highlighted in red are great points.

Marvman himself is Roman Catholic.....
but the means of her being this self proclaimed "example"
does not resolute to the end of 5th Graders having
the conciousness of seeing her as one.....
let alone the capacity to see her anything
beyond as being their teacher.

It may be a clause in the contract, but the validity
and reason of such an accord.....

Are unfounded, and therefore null of prejudice from her peers.

Teachers are "humans" too.....and humans make mistakes.....
having a clause in contract which contradicts your basic human right
to "f**k up"......doesn't justify the standards of morals involved.
Heresay.

Rockn.
Good points.

Gracias MarvGuy.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:21 AM   #10
SeanMi
Points: 5,973, Level: 50 Points: 5,973, Level: 50 Points: 5,973, Level: 50
User owns 1x Bob-omb User owns 1x Yoshi Egg User owns 1x Rupee Bag User owns 1x Super Mushroom User owns 1x Warpstar User owns 1x Nintendo 64 Controller

SeanMi has a spectacular aura aboutSeanMi has a spectacular aura about

Awards Showcase
Royalty Poster NFF Debater 
Total Awards: 3

PSN ID: SeanMi-ghty
what op stated is all basically true.

She broke her contract, end of story. If she wanted to teach there, then she would have to set a catholic example, and getting pregnant and not being married is obviously not setting the right example.