Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Gaming News

Notices

Gaming News Gaming News around the world.

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 03:12 AM   #1
SegaSlayer33
Finishing the Fight
Points: 21,468, Level: 92 Points: 21,468, Level: 92 Points: 21,468, Level: 92
User owns 1x Nintendo Game Boy Advance User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Classic User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Remote User owns 1x Nintendo Wii User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x SNES Controller

My Mood: Thinking
SegaSlayer33 will become famous soon enoughSegaSlayer33 will become famous soon enough

Awards Showcase
Royalty Poster Game Reviewer 
Total Awards: 3

PSN ID: Get your own Xbox Live Gamertag: Get your own
Game Boy 20 years old this month

April is one of those mixed bags. We have the glory that is April fools (which no one seems to do anymore), and the curse that is Easter (when my brothers and sisters drag me into church every E. Sunday). But this April is different: For this April 20 years ago, the Game Boy, the anchor that kept Nintendo in the console race for some time, was released.

That's right. Two decades ago this month, Nintendo went portable with the underpowered, almost toy-like Game Boy. In the process, they didn't merely launch one of the longest-lived systems ever; they didn't simply debut one of the best-selling platforms to date; they also established the backbone of their business, a failsafe source of income that would hold them steady as their console business struggled to stay ahead of Sega and Sony over the course of the coming decades. Without Game Boy, Nintendo probably would have gone the way of Sega some time ago, reduced to a peddler of third-party products for someone else's machines. Instead, the Game Boy maintained a blurry, greenish empire of pure profit that kept the company in the black through some rough days, buying the company enough time to reinvent itself with the Wii and DS.

And the funny thing is: It was so simple. It used processing chips that were state of the art in the mid 70's. It screen looks like puke (to the imaginative mind) and its success can also be attributed to the fact that whilst the Lynx had arcade ports and the Game Gear was a portable Master System, the Game Boy's killer app was....falling bricks. And maybe a plumber or Pikachu thrown in here or there

It's interesting to note that when Nintendo strays from the underlying philosophy of the Game Boy, trying to compete on raw power alone, it rarely succeeds: the Super NES only outsold the Genesis because of Sega's incompetence, the N64 and PS1 story is one forever immortalized the failure of Carts, and the GameCube was assumed by most to be a sure sign of Nintendo's looming demise. Once the company stopped trying to keep up with the competition and instead returned to making systems that, like Game Boy, were merely good enough, its fortunes quickly turned around.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gameboy.jpg (15.2 KB, 8685 views)

To see an index of my review, click here
Latest review: Ristar
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2009, 12:22 PM   #2
Skreamo
The Anthrax Envelope
Points: 9,691, Level: 66 Points: 9,691, Level: 66 Points: 9,691, Level: 66
User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Remote User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Magic Cape Feather User owns 1x Green Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Poke Ball User owns 1x Master Sword User owns 1x Links Shield
User owns 1x Yoshi Egg User owns 1x Super Leaf User owns 1x Frog Suit User owns 1x Bullet Bill

My Mood: Spaced
Skreamo has a spectacular aura aboutSkreamo has a spectacular aura about

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Royalty Monster Poster NFF 1st Annual Award Poster 
Total Awards: 4

Send a message via MSN to Skreamo Xbox Live Gamertag: AfterHatred
Holy crap, really? haha I didn't know that xD Yes I am not fond of easter either.

Thanks you for mah Rhydon Tag, Mr.DLX<3
Old 04-06-2009, 12:34 PM   #3
Saru786
Enter Sandman
Points: 7,638, Level: 58 Points: 7,638, Level: 58 Points: 7,638, Level: 58

Saru786 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Send a message via MSN to Saru786 Send a message via Yahoo to Saru786
Gameboy, how the years have passed, and I'm only 15. It's older than me! xD
Old 04-06-2009, 03:03 PM   #4
op89x
Not on the review team
Points: 3,648, Level: 37 Points: 3,648, Level: 37 Points: 3,648, Level: 37
User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 1x Warpstar User owns 1x Princess Ruto User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Nintendo Wii User owns 1x Nintendo Game Boy Advance
User owns 1x Princess Peach Crown User owns 1x Frog Suit User owns 1x Red Shell User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Green Shell User owns 1x Gold Coin User owns 1x Fire Flower
User owns 1x Magic Cape Feather User owns 1x Water Element

op89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the rough

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Monster Poster Poster 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SegaSlayer33 View Post
It's interesting to note that when Nintendo strays from the underlying philosophy of the Game Boy, trying to compete on raw power alone, it rarely succeeds: the Super NES only outsold the Genesis because of Sega's incompetence, the N64 and PS1 story is one forever immortalized the failure of Carts, and the GameCube was assumed by most to be a sure sign of Nintendo's looming demise. Once the company stopped trying to keep up with the competition and instead returned to making systems that, like Game Boy, were merely good enough, its fortunes quickly turned around.
There are so many things wrong with this that I don't know where to begin. I thought you were my age, but clearly, you haven't been following the console wars that long.

Maybe I'll get back to this thread after I get some work done.

Old 04-06-2009, 03:51 PM   #5
SuperMario1
Beat Contra4 on Hard
Points: 3,099, Level: 34 Points: 3,099, Level: 34 Points: 3,099, Level: 34

SuperMario1 We have a Nintendo Fan in the Making

Its so hard to believe that its been 20 years since the GameBoy first came out. I still have my old gray GameBoy in it's GameBoy shaped carrying case. So many good times with it.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:06 PM   #6
King Beard
Beardy
Points: 78, Level: 1 Points: 78, Level: 1 Points: 78, Level: 1

King Beard is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario1 View Post
Its so hard to believe that its been 20 years since the GameBoy first came out. I still have my old gray GameBoy in it's GameBoy shaped carrying case. So many good times with it.

Wow 20 years huh? Hey I have that too! lol The problem is that the screen is messed up (it has a line or something going across the screen vertically). And also when I turn it on, it doesn't always turn on.
=( Which is sad cuz I miss playing the GameBoy. That's y I hope the rumor is true about the DSi getting virtual console so we can download old GB games!
Old 04-06-2009, 07:32 PM   #7
Stick
Call of Duty - Stick
Points: 87, Level: 1 Points: 87, Level: 1 Points: 87, Level: 1

Stick is an unknown quantity at this point

Thumbs up

I've still got my Gameboy....Man....20 years....I'll celebrate since I'm a big Nintendo fan.

I'm not 20 years old but got this item as a gift.

I remember when the Wii first came out.

* Flash Back *
Old 04-06-2009, 07:45 PM   #8
Vox
Points: 238, Level: 4 Points: 238, Level: 4 Points: 238, Level: 4

Vox We have a Nintendo Fan in the Making

Send a message via AIM to Vox Send a message via Yahoo to Vox Send a message via Skype™ to Vox Xbox Live Gamertag: Poka5
Wow... 20 years. I still play some of my original Game Boy games.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:20 PM   #9
NutMan
Points: 848, Level: 15 Points: 848, Level: 15 Points: 848, Level: 15

NutMan will become famous soon enough

Xbox Live Gamertag: NutManIV
20 years later the Gulf War GameBoy still works perfectly.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:23 AM   #10
AlloftheAbove
Points: 23,905, Level: 94 Points: 23,905, Level: 94 Points: 23,905, Level: 94
User owns 1x Purple Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Yellow Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Blue Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Red Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Green Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Light Blue Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Grey Chaos Emerald

My Mood: Gaming
AlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Review of the Month Review of the Month Review of the Month NFF's 4th Annual Award NFF Old Man Award NFF Referrer Review of the Month Review of the Month 
Total Awards: 38

3DS Friend Code: 4382-1995-8800 PSN ID: RaptorWaffles Xbox Live Gamertag: RaptorWaffles WiiU ID: AlloftheAbove
Sweet.

Tags
april, game boy, news, nintendo, tetris