Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Nintendo DS Reviews

Notices

Nintendo DS Reviews Section for all Nintendo DS and DSI Reviews

Comment

Review Tools
Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
Radixxs
Published by Radixxs
04-10-2009
Author review
Graphics
95%95%95%
Storyline
90%90%90%
Controls/Gameplay
95%95%95%
Sound
95%95%95%
Average 94%
Arrow Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass

Link’s latest swashbuckling adventure journeys to the DS to try out some new moves.

Your adventure starts where Wind Waker ended. After a quick re-briefing of the ending of the prequel, you start out when Link awakes to find himself washed up on a beach with no idea where he is. The fairy Ciela helps Link find her master Oshus, who will help Link much throughout the game. Link eventually teams up with treasure loving Captain Linebeck and sets off to find the elusive ghost ship. But this is not as easy as it sounds. By finding hidden maps in the Temple of the Ocean King, Link can follow the Ghost Ship while landing on various islands to find clues to its whereabouts, and learns that he has to track down the spirits of Courage, Wisdom, and power; and of course, try to find treasure for Linebeck.

Don’t be fooled by the traditional Legend of Zelda plot, this
adventure has a whole new feel. The largest and most noticeable change is the use of the touch screen to move Link around as well as use his sword. These controls are surprisingly smooth and easy, and quick stylus dragging across the touch screen to make Link attack is plain awesome. My favorite feature is ship navigation. While on his adventure with Linebeck and Celia, Link often finds himself on Linebeck’s ship. The controls for this are quite easy also, all you do is draw a route for the ship to take, and your off. After acquiring the cannon, you can face off with pirates at see in cannon battles, and blast away boulders that are blocking your ships route.

Possibly the most useful feature is the addition of the top screen map. Think that’s cool? How about making notes on your map? This awesome feature allows you to circle areas you need to come back to, or write down in-game riddles for future reference whenever you desire, and it will be saved until you feel the need to erase it. This is especially useful in later levels of the game.
The shade cell style graphics are possibly the best yet on the DS, and show off Link’s world and beyond above anyone’s expectations.
Fighting bosses on various islands to acquire the spirits is probably the most exciting part of your journey before you advance to the last levels. The battles require strategy and quick thinking so be prepared.
Phantom Hourglass is a prime example of a classic adventure being revolutionized for the better by the Nintendo DS.

Note: All images taken from ign.com/nintendo.com

Overall Score: 9.4/10
Published by
Beating the Jungle.
Radixxs is on a distinguished road
Sponsored Links
By Whiskermush on 04-11-2009, 04:25 AM
Ermmm the review is alright but personally I would go into detail with each criteria: Sound Controls/Gameplay Storyline and Graphics

Other than that it's a good review and vividly described.
By Rin on 04-16-2009, 05:21 PM
Not bad, but Whisker is right, not enough detail on the individual aspects. That was more of a summary than a review.
By DarkLegacy on 04-17-2009, 03:15 PM
Quite good review
By felixpepper on 04-17-2009, 04:25 PM
I think you over rated it a bit much, yeah the controls are good but they could of done much more with the DS the only thing they have put extra with the DS version is the MIKE and the draw on MAP. I know they have done everything possible (kind of) there is not enough of that. It's like a 5 ***** pancake/crepe without the toppings (No sugar, lemon, chocolate sauce not even butter)

Oh, I can't wait for SPIRIT TRACKS to come out.

Click here to level up my card!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg felixpepper sig..jpg (61.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg felixpepper sig2..jpg (35.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg felixpepper sig3..jpg (35.9 KB, 0 views)
By Radixxs on 04-18-2009, 12:48 AM
Member reviews
Graphics
95%95%95%
Storyline
90%90%90%
Controls/Gameplay
95%95%95%
Sound
95%95%95%
Average 94%
Thanks for all of your feedback! I try to avoid dividing my reviews into different subtitles, I usually just put each category in a new paragraph. I like to keep my reviews more traditional looking in that sense.

I'm also looking forward to Spirit Tracks, I'm interested to see how they incorporate the train, and hope to see more new gameplay features.
Comment

Tags
link, loz, phantom hourgass, wind waker, zelda