Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Gaming News

Notices

Gaming News Gaming News around the world.

Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 02:33 AM   #1
Whiskermush
User owns 1x Gold Coin User owns 1x Yoshi Egg User owns 1x Warpstar User owns 1x Super Mushroom

Whiskermush is a jewel in the roughWhiskermush is a jewel in the roughWhiskermush is a jewel in the rough

Awards Showcase
Poster 
Total Awards: 1

Nintendo Upgrades Mariners/DS Tie-In

Quote:
In preparation for the 2009 Seattle Mariners baseball season, Nintendo has announced a number of upcoming enhancements scheduled for its Nintendo Fan Network, including "up-to-the-minute news and analysis" from ESPN. The Fan Network -- an ingenious, if hyper-localized example of cross-promotion -- allows attendees at Seattle Mariners home games to receive information on the game, interact with one another and order concessions via the Nintendo DS' built-in Wi-Fi.
Key to the newly announced features are offerings from ESPN. "ESPN will deliver fans Mariners-related news, general sports news and headlines, fantasy sports news and updates, baseball columns from ESPN's leading columnists, and ESPN Zoom Game, a photo-matching game for sports," Nintendo's official announcement states.
I've always thought it was a clever of Nintendo to cross-promote its Nintendo DS handheld via the baseball team it owns a stake in, but seriously, how many people are ever going to take advantage of this?
Even forgetting that its almost entirely limited to Seattle-area gamers, what kind of crossover is there between hardcore Nintendo fans and die-hard baseball fanatics?
I'd think that those of the latter group would rather not be seen wandering the stadium with such a "kiddie" device, and those of the former (who staunchly disagree with that stereotype) would be spending their free time actually playing videogames -- as opposed to downing beers and those delicious (probably carcinogenic) ballpark nachos for 9 innings.
Assuming I'm right, and the Fan Network isn't really as much of a draw as Nintendo would hope, maybe you baseball fans can enlighten me on what it would take to convince you to pack the handheld for every Mariners game.
What would you like to see Nintendo offer via this service? Exclusive games? Online chats with the players? Seventh inning
Mario Party sessions?
http://blog.wired.com/games/2009/04/...do-upgrad.html

Your thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2009, 05:31 PM   #2
SeanMi
Points: 5,973, Level: 50 Points: 5,973, Level: 50 Points: 5,973, Level: 50
User owns 1x Bob-omb User owns 1x Yoshi Egg User owns 1x Rupee Bag User owns 1x Super Mushroom User owns 1x Warpstar User owns 1x Nintendo 64 Controller

SeanMi has a spectacular aura aboutSeanMi has a spectacular aura about

Awards Showcase
Royalty Poster NFF Debater 
Total Awards: 3

PSN ID: SeanMi-ghty
I read something like this awhile ago. Its a pretty cool idea. Not sure how much it would be used though.
Old 04-16-2009, 05:34 PM   #3
Rin
Blade of Justice
Points: 39,494, Level: 100 Points: 39,494, Level: 100 Points: 39,494, Level: 100

Rin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant future

Awards Showcase
Royalty NFF 3rd Annual Award Level 100 Award Member of the Month Monster Poster Yoshi Poster 
Total Awards: 7

Send a message via Skype™ to Rin
Hmm, that's interesting to say the least. I wonder how it will work out...
Old 04-16-2009, 10:50 PM   #4
K!NGZACH
Points: 337, Level: 6 Points: 337, Level: 6 Points: 337, Level: 6
User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Nintendo 64 Controller User owns 1x Nintendo Game Boy Advance

K!NGZACH will become famous soon enough

PSN ID: zMd113
Seventh inning Mario Party sessions?

i'd rather do that than listen to someone i've never heard of sing!
Old 04-17-2009, 02:35 AM   #5
Whiskermush
User owns 1x Gold Coin User owns 1x Yoshi Egg User owns 1x Warpstar User owns 1x Super Mushroom

Whiskermush is a jewel in the roughWhiskermush is a jewel in the roughWhiskermush is a jewel in the rough

Awards Showcase
Poster 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by †Rin† View Post
Hmm, that's interesting to say the least. I wonder how it will work out...
Same thought I had. Hmm
Closed Thread