Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Other Reviews

Notices

Other Reviews Playstation, Xbox, PC, or any other console game Review. Also console reviews too

Comment

Review Tools
Sega CD
Sega CD
Why, oh why...
Published by SegaSlayer33
04-26-2009
Author review
Graphics
60%60%60%
Storyline
35%35%35%
Controls/Gameplay
50%50%50%
Sound
45%45%45%
Average 48%
Thumbs down Sega CD

Itís the early 90s. Sega, once a flea in the shadow of the mighty Nintendo, has won the console war. It has a massive market majority. Its cooler, slicker and more hip than Nintendo and its humble plumber. Especially when Sonic is anything but.

All Sega has to do to keep the lead is nothing. Instead they do everythingÖ

And destroy themselves

Statistics

Name: Sega CD (Sega Mega CD outside of America)

Developer: Sony

Publisher: Sega

Release date: 1992 (America)

System Type: Console accessory

Number of bits: 16

Sales figures: 6 million worldwide (as of December 31st 2007)

The Sega CD was released in 1992. It was designed by Sony (thatís not a typo) and sold 6 million units: more than most consoles released in the early 90s. At the time, people thought it was a great concept: computers were using CDs, music was using CDs, theyíre cheaper to make, they have waaaaaaaay more memoryÖthis was going to be the real nail in the coffin for Nintendo. Little did people know that they were buying themselves what would become the beginning of the end for Sega.

First of all, the thing was $300. Thatís a load of moolah for an add-on, especially when you consider inflation. You could virtually buy the console. And that was in America. PAL regions, especially Britain, usually pay about 1.5 to 2 times the amount of money we pay for to get our hands on video games. So what do you do? You get $445 out of your wallet, or however many pounds that is, go up to the exchange counter next to the video game store, and there you go, you have an overpriced add-on. Even before I've played the console, I'm starting to get skeptical by now. But, seeing I've already lost the receipt and have no chance of a refund, I take it home and start to unpack it.

All right, you have your Sega CD. You better not of put your wallet away son, because if you are like nearly everyone I know that owns a Sega CD, then youíre gonna need a multi-tap to plug the additional power adapter into. I never really got this: why not just make it its own console if itís going to be such a glutton? (Actually they did that with the SNES CD, but thatís a different story). I once bought a multi-tap in a garage sale for $5. So if you live in the UK, thatís about $230 dollars right there, not counting in those ďextra cheap CDĒ games. I'm even more pissed of when you have to connect another cable into the genesis from the Sega CD. As if one wasn't enough. However, itís all worth it, because now its time for the make-or-break of a console, its gamesÖ.

So what did they do with all of that extra memory? They put tons of video in it!

Okay, this is important...

Video games are by, definition, interactive. You control your blob of pixels and use it to kill other blocks of pixels, using your joystick or D-pad or trigger or potato masher. Videos are by definition, not interactive. You kind of just sit there, and watch. So, what happens when you mix them together? You get some really crap games.

Ok, my friend has two Sega CD games, so Iíll tell you about those. First off, you got to put the CD into the console. Grab your Game Boy folks, because if you thought the PlayStation took a long time to load, this thing really takes the cake. The game takes about 1:30 to load. By the time the game loads, Iíve nearly done world 1 on Super Mario Land. So I pause my game, and start to play some Sega CDÖ

Night Trap is a really cheesy game. Youíre a security guy, and your main goal is to protect this family from these thugs dressed in black. The major problem I have with this game is how crappy the actors are. The girls in the slumber party couldnít be on much more, and the thugs look like they just crapped their pants. Another really annoying thing is that itís just so boring. The thrill of seeing one of the little turds sliding down the stairs into a trap quickly loses its appeal. Another (yes, another) really annoying thing is how many times you get to a room and just see them exiting it.

Texas Ground Zero is easily one of the worst games of all time. Itís worth noting that whilst waiting for both games to load, I have already finished world 3 of Super Mario Land. You have to watch some video beforehand, always a problem with the Sega CD. Then, you have to shoot some bad guys. The control is really awkward, and the worst thing about awkward controls are that you can't really explain them. It just feels so stiff and unnatural, kind of like when you go to the arcade to play some MK and some little douche has shoved chewing gum into the centering of the joystick. The characters die by performing these heavily exaggerated movements, which stops me from getting into the "zone"-that feeling when you are really owning up, like when you play a good racing game.

The Sega CD achieved moderate success. However, the quality of games on the system was a real letdown to customers, and this is where Sega really started to treat their customers badly. I was growing up around this time, and I must say, my entire neighborhood was disgusted. My big brother had a genesis and a Sega CD. He played for half an hour, then turned it off, muttering "what a waste...". It went into the room, curious about his remark.....and found Night Trap. I felt absolutely repulsed. How could this monstrosity be named "entertainment?" The next day, as I walked into school, I saw a bunch of big kids with baseball bats walking towards our school from the playground. When I went there during recess, I found tiny fragments of black plastic and CDs. I couldn't help but take the CD and break it up some more.

The Sega CD left customers burnt. It was the start of a PR crash that would hit them in the balls in 2001 with the DC. The ironic thing is, that was actually pretty good. But the Sega CD, from its horrible gameplay, to its butchering of "realistic acting", to its lack of real worth, is best forgotten. And I bet Sega wishes it was forgotten too.

Sega CD: 4/10
"Poor"

For reading this thread!
Published by
Finishing the Fight
SegaSlayer33 will become famous soon enoughSegaSlayer33 will become famous soon enough
Sponsored Links
By T2KFreeker on 05-15-2009, 07:39 PM
Yeah, but Sega CD had some really good classic that were released on the system like Sonic CD, The Lunar games and Shining Force CD. Final Fight CD and Batman Returns were awesome also. I can't say I hated the system, but it wasn't the greatest loss of potential Sega ever released, anyone for the 32-X? A system that had tons of potential but never got crap because Sega of Japan screwed Sega of America. Man, when you are screwing over other divisions of the same company, you know something is wrong there.
By Riodoku79 on 05-16-2009, 01:36 AM
I still can't figure out why Nintendo never sued Sega for saying their company name directly in their commercials. I also can't figure out why in the world Sega put out so many consoles at one time, and when they actually had a good one (Dreamcast) they put it in the same launch month as Final Fantasy VIII. Oh well. At least we don't have fist fights between fanboys of Nintendo and Sega anymore.

EDIT: In Night Trap I think it's Vampires that you protected the girls from. Not thugs dressed in black. And at about 1:55 in the Night Trap video some girl in the background takes off her shirt...for absolutely no reason.
Last edited by Riodoku79; 05-16-2009 at 01:43 AM..
By Ausden on 05-16-2009, 07:02 PM
Why should they sue? Nintendo turned around and did it with the SNES. Besides, its called marketing. You have to get your point across at all costs, and that's a big point to make when it comes to the gaming industry, especially in the early to mid 90's.

Anyways, great review, I never owned the CD part but I did own the genesis. In fact, I'm playing it to this day. I will say though, there were a few games that rocked on the CD and Aliens is one that comes to mind. I really liked the cut scenes in it.
By Riodoku79 on 05-16-2009, 07:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausden View Post
Why should they sue? Nintendo turned around and did it with the SNES. Besides, its called marketing. You have to get your point across at all costs, and that's a big point to make when it comes to the gaming industry, especially in the early to mid 90's.

Anyways, great review, I never owned the CD part but I did own the genesis. In fact, I'm playing it to this day. I will say though, there were a few games that rocked on the CD and Aliens is one that comes to mind. I really liked the cut scenes in it.
And that's why they should have sued. Having a company insult your company on a commercial isn't good marketing in any way shape or form.
By SegaSlayer33 on 05-16-2009, 10:48 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
60%60%60%
Storyline
35%35%35%
Controls/Gameplay
50%50%50%
Sound
45%45%45%
Average 48%
Hey, the electoral system has been doing it throughout the western world for hundreds of years. I guess Sega was the only company with the balls to try it out.

And yes, I am totally aware that every system apart from the 32x has is gems. But I don't think 1:100 is a ratio I can tolerate. Too bad the Wii looks like going in that direction.....
By T2KFreeker on 05-16-2009, 11:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausden View Post

Alien Trilogy was a Sega Saturn Game. An Aliens game never released for the Sega CD. Closest thing to it would be "The Terminator", which was awesome on the Sega CD as it had a slamming soundtrack and wasn't the same as the cart version.
By Tencade Kazarian on 05-17-2009, 12:03 AM
I have a Sega CD... Why.. I have NO Freakin Idea. Only fun Game was SONIC CD.
By da Beef on 08-30-2009, 08:18 AM
there were a handful of truly great games on here, but yeah, as a console it failed.

but at least we got Snatcher!
Comment