Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > General Nintendo Section

Notices

General Nintendo Section All general Nintendo content here.

Closed Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 03:59 AM   #1
MEW3921
Goomba
Points: 86, Level: 1 Points: 86, Level: 1 Points: 86, Level: 1

MEW3921 is an unknown quantity at this point

Zelda: TP Complaints

***I mention a lot of stuff from the game itself in here, so if you haven't played the game but you intend to, you may not want to read this because it contains a LOT of spoilers.

Hey guys,

I have a few complaints with The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, and I'd like to share them with you all to see what you think.

I am purchasing my Wii tomorrow, so I have no yet had a chance to fully experience Wii zelda. I have, however, played through the GC version, and this is based completely off the assumption that they are similar in most ways.

Anyhoo...

First, let me start by saying I absolutely LOVE this game. The hidden skills, the graphics, the swordplay, the environments, the enemies...Everything is absolutely great. However, I think there are a few glaring flaws in the game which, had they been ironed out, would have put this (IMO) FAR above Ocarina of Time.

The first gripe I have is with the pacing of the story...

In The Winder Waker, Ocarina of Time, A Link to the Past....Etc...The game was always building up to you getting the master sword and defeating Ganondorf. It felt really epic. I remember finally getting the Master Sword in the Wind Waker after so, so long of fighting for it, and it really felt like an accomplishment. However, in Twilight Princess, a few hours into the gameplay they kind of just....Throw the sword's status by the wayside. They basically just tell me to go get this sword, then move on. Like the sword is nothing. They don't explain why you need it, or why it's there, or anything. They completely strip the master sword of the whole "epic quest in search of the sword" that all the other games posessed. That really bothered me.

Now, here's another problem I have with the game...Realisticness. Now, I know, Zelda has never been about realism, quite the opposite..But there needs to be a few restraints here. 3 bomb bags? a sniper scope for your bow? a ball and chain you happen to just "carry around" which is bigger than your entire body? I mean, come on. If the bombs were like cherry bombs, very small, and you could carry say, 30 of them, that would seem possible. But 90 some, and they're each the size of grape fruits? Gosh....And the Eagle Eye takes away part of the skill of using the bow. I can't tell you how many times I've had tons of fun trying to shoot far away enemies with no scope....This just nullifies those efforts in a way. Basically, my main complaint isn't that it has too much "magic" stuff per se, but more that it has gone completely over the top with how much you can do and hold.

Okay, my last gripe with the game....This is a hard one to explain. Basically....They're adding too much comical stuff. Zelda has always had its little funny easter eggs and things, like Tingle, the attacking chickens, etc...But some of this stuff has just really started to tick me off, it takes away the mysterious and serious undertone present in the past games. IE: The canon guy who shoots you to Gerudo valley, the weird guy who let's you fly down on chickens, how Rusl uses a golden chicken to let you fly into the Sacred Grove.....Tons and tons of stupid things which just really make the game seem so goofy that you start to wonder "Why even have a serious story at all?".

In my opinion, next to the Wind Waker (which has a special place in my heart, but was lacking in many ways in its own right), this is not only one of the best Zelda games ever made, it is one of the best GAMES ever made. I just think that they need to improve the story arc a little bit, reduce some of the outrageous comedy, and make it a little more realistic, and this series would get a huge breath of fresh air. What do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2009, 04:42 AM   #2
Riodoku79
Ell Oh Ell
Points: 471, Level: 9 Points: 471, Level: 9 Points: 471, Level: 9
User owns 1x Rupee Bag User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Classic User owns 1x Samus Morphball

Riodoku79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEW3921 View Post
***I mention a lot of stuff from the game itself in here, so if you haven't played the game but you intend to, you may not want to read this because it contains a LOT of spoilers.

Hey guys,

I have a few complaints with The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, and I'd like to share them with you all to see what you think.

I am purchasing my Wii tomorrow, so I have no yet had a chance to fully experience Wii zelda. I have, however, played through the GC version, and this is based completely off the assumption that they are similar in most ways.

Anyhoo...

First, let me start by saying I absolutely LOVE this game. The hidden skills, the graphics, the swordplay, the environments, the enemies...Everything is absolutely great. However, I think there are a few glaring flaws in the game which, had they been ironed out, would have put this (IMO) FAR above Ocarina of Time.

The first gripe I have is with the pacing of the story...

In The Winder Waker, Ocarina of Time, A Link to the Past....Etc...The game was always building up to you getting the master sword and defeating Ganondorf. It felt really epic. I remember finally getting the Master Sword in the Wind Waker after so, so long of fighting for it, and it really felt like an accomplishment. However, in Twilight Princess, a few hours into the gameplay they kind of just....Throw the sword's status by the wayside. They basically just tell me to go get this sword, then move on. Like the sword is nothing. They don't explain why you need it, or why it's there, or anything. They completely strip the master sword of the whole "epic quest in search of the sword" that all the other games posessed. That really bothered me.

Now, here's another problem I have with the game...Realisticness. Now, I know, Zelda has never been about realism, quite the opposite..But there needs to be a few restraints here. 3 bomb bags? a sniper scope for your bow? a ball and chain you happen to just "carry around" which is bigger than your entire body? I mean, come on. If the bombs were like cherry bombs, very small, and you could carry say, 30 of them, that would seem possible. But 90 some, and they're each the size of grape fruits? Gosh....And the Eagle Eye takes away part of the skill of using the bow. I can't tell you how many times I've had tons of fun trying to shoot far away enemies with no scope....This just nullifies those efforts in a way. Basically, my main complaint isn't that it has too much "magic" stuff per se, but more that it has gone completely over the top with how much you can do and hold.

Okay, my last gripe with the game....This is a hard one to explain. Basically....They're adding too much comical stuff. Zelda has always had its little funny easter eggs and things, like Tingle, the attacking chickens, etc...But some of this stuff has just really started to tick me off, it takes away the mysterious and serious undertone present in the past games. IE: The canon guy who shoots you to Gerudo valley, the weird guy who let's you fly down on chickens, how Rusl uses a golden chicken to let you fly into the Sacred Grove.....Tons and tons of stupid things which just really make the game seem so goofy that you start to wonder "Why even have a serious story at all?".

In my opinion, next to the Wind Waker (which has a special place in my heart, but was lacking in many ways in its own right), this is not only one of the best Zelda games ever made, it is one of the best GAMES ever made.I just think that they need to improve the story arc a little bit, reduce some of the outrageous comedy, and make it a little more realistic, and this series would get a huge breath of fresh air. What do you guys think?
I kind of agree on this matter. But it was still important to the story and they made that plenty clear.

That's been in every Zelda game in the history of ever. It's always been that way and not just with Twilight Princess.

The scope is for shooting far away enemies like in the Goron dungeon. It never substituted using the bow normally and was completely optional to pick up. You don't have to use it if you don't want to. And the game still encouraged you to only use it when necessary. Like in the "Shoot the pole" sidequest.

Once again it's always been like that.

I don't see how, in any way shape or form, those guys are more annoying, and less comical to you than tingle.

I strongly disagree. That kind of stuff is what Nintendo is all about. Being different. If it was completely serious all the time than it's just another action game. Besides I don't really think people can handle a completely serious story in a game all the time. Even Metal Gear has a bunch of comedy.

Peace.

V Haha this post sucks V
Old 05-17-2009, 05:12 AM   #3
SirManguydude
LoZ Expert
Points: 11,073, Level: 69 Points: 11,073, Level: 69 Points: 11,073, Level: 69
User owns 1x Gold Coin User owns 1x Rupee Bag User owns 1x Earth Element User owns 1x Mirror Shield User owns 1x Gold Cucoo User owns 1x Fire Element User owns 1x Master Sword
User owns 1x Heart Tank User owns 1x Z-Saber User owns 1x X-Buster User owns 1x Sub Tank User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 1x Megaman\'s Helmet User owns 1x Black Belt

My Mood: Lonely
SirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award NFF 3rd Annual Award Royalty Super Member Good Grammar Award Yoshi Signature of the Month Banner of the Month 
Total Awards: 12

So I would have to say this guy has only played the 3D Zelda games. First the Golden Chicken was a reference to both LTTP and LA I believe, but it may have been one of the Oracle games instead of LA. Also they rid Tingle because Americans hate him. One last thing the canon guy, and the cuckoo guy are bros and they co-work for a minigame which is fun.

A slipping gear could let your M203 grenade launcher fire when you least expect it. That would make you quite unpopular in what's left of your unit.

Old 05-17-2009, 05:42 AM   #4
MEW3921
Goomba
Points: 86, Level: 1 Points: 86, Level: 1 Points: 86, Level: 1

MEW3921 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirManguydude View Post
So I would have to say this guy has only played the 3D Zelda games. First the Golden Chicken was a reference to both LTTP and LA I believe, but it may have been one of the Oracle games instead of LA. Also they rid Tingle because Americans hate him. One last thing the canon guy, and the cuckoo guy are bros and they co-work for a minigame which is fun.
I've played all of the games. Link's Awakening, Zelda 2, Oracle of Seasons, you name it. Heck, I've even played the horrible CD-i games on my PC. Homages or not, it doesn't make it any less silly. Like I said, Zelda has always had humor, just not this much of it and I dislike it.

Yes, that's probably why they dress the same

I didn't have a problem with Tingle personally, I thought he was funny but I could see him existing in the Zelda world. The problem is, they're adding too much filler. Instead of just having a nice big journey to get to Gerudo desert like the first game, they figured "Hey, let's put in a little pink clown who shoots you out of a giant canon in instead, that would be way cooler". Comedy is one thing, sillyness is another- that's what they added, sillyness, and frankly it tires me.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:27 AM   #5
Xenon
The Space Pope
Points: 6,758, Level: 54 Points: 6,758, Level: 54 Points: 6,758, Level: 54
User owns 1x Rupee Bag User owns 1x Master Ball

My Mood: Spaced
Xenon is a jewel in the roughXenon is a jewel in the roughXenon is a jewel in the rough

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Royalty Poster NFF Debater 
Total Awards: 4

This is the first and only Zelda game I have finished. I'm halfway through Wind Waker, however.

I love this game. The only annoying thing was the Zora Temple.
And how awesome is the warping!
My favourite bit? The final swordfight with Ganondorf at the end.

And as for your Master Sword comment, the whole point of that is that getting the Master Sword is not the objective of the game. Killing Zant and Ganondorf is the objective of the game.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:49 AM   #6
gameaddict
Points: 4,380, Level: 42 Points: 4,380, Level: 42 Points: 4,380, Level: 42
User owns 1x Nintendo Wii User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Remote User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Classic User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Nunchuck User owns 1x Bob-omb
User owns 1x Blue Shell User owns 1x 1-UP Mushroom User owns 1x Nintendo Game Boy Advance User owns 1x Fire Flower User owns 1x Rupee Bag

My Mood: Fine
gameaddict is on a distinguished road

Awards Showcase
Celebrity Poster 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
This is the first and only Zelda game I have finished. I'm halfway through Wind Waker, however.

I love this game. The only annoying thing was the Zora Temple.
And how awesome is the warping!
My favourite bit? The final swordfight with Ganondorf at the end.

And as for your Master Sword comment, the whole point of that is that getting the Master Sword is not the objective of the game. Killing Zant and Ganondorf is the objective of the game.
How long have you had it for? I've been playing it on and off for a few years, and I'm only just past the lakebed temple.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:45 AM   #7
NutMan
Points: 848, Level: 15 Points: 848, Level: 15 Points: 848, Level: 15

NutMan will become famous soon enough

Xbox Live Gamertag: NutManIV
I really did not enjoy Twilight Princess on the GameCube. To me it felt like a step back from Wind Waker, which is one of my favorite games of all time. Once I get a Wii I'll buy the Wii version of TP and give it another shot. I just don't know if I can handle going through a million dungeons like in Ocarina of Time. It was fun in 1998. Today? Well, not so much for me.

oh, and it disappointed me a LOT because I had Twilight Princess preordered at GameStop since August 2005. What pissed me off even more was that when I made my order I was charged $55(Cost+shipping), but when the game was released GameStop decided to add on another $5 as tax or something. Ugh...
Old 06-11-2009, 02:47 PM   #8
DarkLegacy
Points: 1,868, Level: 25 Points: 1,868, Level: 25 Points: 1,868, Level: 25
User owns 1x Nintendo Game Boy Advance User owns 1x Cucoo User owns 1x Green Shell User owns 1x Poke Doll User owns 1x Z-Saber User owns 1x Nintendo 64 Controller User owns 1x Shuriken
User owns 1x Triforce

My Mood: Brooding
DarkLegacy is just really niceDarkLegacy is just really niceDarkLegacy is just really niceDarkLegacy is just really nice

Awards Showcase
Royalty Signature of the Month Poster NFF 1st Annual Award 
Total Awards: 4

PSN ID: Jordeh59
I've only played this game for a bit at my friends and couldn't really find to much to crit.

Tag by me
Old 06-15-2009, 02:48 AM   #9
SirManguydude
LoZ Expert
Points: 11,073, Level: 69 Points: 11,073, Level: 69 Points: 11,073, Level: 69
User owns 1x Gold Coin User owns 1x Rupee Bag User owns 1x Earth Element User owns 1x Mirror Shield User owns 1x Gold Cucoo User owns 1x Fire Element User owns 1x Master Sword
User owns 1x Heart Tank User owns 1x Z-Saber User owns 1x X-Buster User owns 1x Sub Tank User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 1x Megaman\'s Helmet User owns 1x Black Belt

My Mood: Lonely
SirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award NFF 3rd Annual Award Royalty Super Member Good Grammar Award Yoshi Signature of the Month Banner of the Month 
Total Awards: 12

I think the best part about Twilight Princess is the fact that the Master Sword was just thrown in there. It makes it more realistic, I mean the first part of the quest you are just going to get the Fused Shadows to defeat Zant not knowing that Ganondorf is behind his power, thus they wouldn't be able to defeat him with FS alone. Thus came in the Master Sword.

A slipping gear could let your M203 grenade launcher fire when you least expect it. That would make you quite unpopular in what's left of your unit.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:54 AM   #10
Brandyn
The Man
Points: 53,440, Level: 100 Points: 53,440, Level: 100 Points: 53,440, Level: 100
User owns 1x Master Sword User owns 1x Green Chaos Emerald User owns 2x SNES Controller User owns 1x Invincibility Star User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Rupee Bag User owns 1x Four Sword
User owns 1x Ocarina Of Time User owns 1x Fire Element

My Mood: Cool
Brandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards Brawl AM First Time Award Mufasa Yoshi NFF's 4th Annual Award NFF Old Man Award Review of the Month Level 100 Award 
Total Awards: 15

Send a message via Yahoo to Brandyn Send a message via Skype™ to Brandyn 3DS Friend Code: 3282-3036-3021 PSN ID: Brandyn_Johnson WiiU ID: Brandyn_Johnson
Well no video game is 100% realistic but I think Zelda is one of Nintendo's most realistic franchises. The only thing I found unrealistic is how Link carries all that gear around at the same time without it being seen but I mean that's alot of shooting games. Well, that and a chicken being able to fly you around. Still, I mean for a medieval sword game about knights and princesses and evil wizards, I found it as realistic as a game could be. I mean, there are no talking foxes and birds that pilot fighter jets in space or a pink puffball who rides on magic stars across "Dreamland."
With Nintendo, Zelda and TP is about as realistic as it gets besides Metroid.

I LOVE that it is one of my favorite games.

Nintendo/PlayStation Network ID: Brandyn_Johnson

Currently Playing:

Super Street fighter IV: AE
Call of Duty: Black Ops II
Closed Thread