Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > General Forum > Technical Support > Nintendo

Notices

Nintendo Post any Nintendo related support questions here.

Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 05:57 PM   #1
PrincessPeach86
Goomba
Points: 43, Level: 1 Points: 43, Level: 1 Points: 43, Level: 1

PrincessPeach86 is an unknown quantity at this point

Why doesn't my system work?

I just bought a used super Nintendo system. I've never owned one before. I think I hooked it up correctly. I tried on many different TVs to try to get it to work, but there's no picture, no sound, no nothing. Just the "snow flake" channel. The light on the front of the console lights up red. The light next to the on/off switch does not turn on.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2009, 06:22 PM   #2
Ausden
Sailors do it slower
Points: 346, Level: 6 Points: 346, Level: 6 Points: 346, Level: 6

Ausden is an unknown quantity at this point

Make sure it came with a cord that has both ends split into 3 color's. Red, White, and Yellow. I've never owned an SNES, but if it's like the Genesis or NES, you would normally need a VF switch. However, you can purchase AV cords online to suit your needs.

For instance, I purchased an AV cord with one end split into 3 color's and the other end looking like an S-cord end.

Here, did it come with this cord? http://www.amazon.com/AV-Cable-Super...2771606&sr=8-1

If it is the correct cord, make sure it's plugged into the back of your TV that reflects the channel. My TV has 6 red,white, yellow plug-ins in the back all to 6 different channels. So you might be trying to use channels 3 or 4 but have it hooked up to an AV channel.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:00 PM   #3
PrincessPeach86
Goomba
Points: 43, Level: 1 Points: 43, Level: 1 Points: 43, Level: 1

PrincessPeach86 is an unknown quantity at this point

It didn't come with that cord. It came with the antenna cord that twists into the back of the TV. Tried it with that, didn't work.

Than I used the AV cord from my PS1 (With the 3 plug in's yellow, white, and red). That didn't work either.

There's a switch on the back of the console that says CH4 or CH3. I tried both of those and tried setting the TV to Channel 4 and 3. That didn't work. I tried setting the channel to input. That didn't work. That's the channel I set it to to run my PS1.

I'm going to look behind the TV and see if I have it in the correct set of white, red, and yellow plugs. There I think 3 different sets. Right now its plugged into the same set I use to run my PS1. I don't know if that makes a difference.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:43 PM   #4
Riodoku79
Ell Oh Ell
Points: 471, Level: 9 Points: 471, Level: 9 Points: 471, Level: 9
User owns 1x Rupee Bag User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Classic User owns 1x Samus Morphball

Riodoku79 is an unknown quantity at this point

It might just be because the console's dead. It happened to an N64 that my sister bought. If you buy more component cables and that doesn't work then just buy another one off of ebay, that's all I can tell you in a situation like this.

V Haha this post sucks V
Old 05-19-2009, 11:57 PM   #5
Princess Elle
Nintendo King/Queen
Points: 16,966, Level: 83 Points: 16,966, Level: 83 Points: 16,966, Level: 83

My Mood: Angelic
Princess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to behold

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Royalty Yoshi Sheriff Medic Princess Award Poster NFF Promoter 
Total Awards: 8

Send a message via ICQ to Princess Elle Send a message via AIM to Princess Elle Send a message via MSN to Princess Elle Send a message via Yahoo to Princess Elle Send a message via Skype™ to Princess Elle PSN ID: ElleFan98 Xbox Live Gamertag: Willgetonesoon
Umm... I think this might be a bit obvious, but if you didn't try it, try switching the input on your TV. You do that by going to Menu>>Input The white space (Snowflake thing) is usually only on the main input. AV1, AV2, Etc. Should either be black or blue.
Sometimes we fall...so
Fall on Jesus
Fall on Jesus
Fall on Jesus and live!
- Untitled Hymn (Come To Jesus) -
-Chris Rice-
Old 05-21-2009, 06:58 AM   #6
Xenon
The Space Pope
Points: 6,758, Level: 54 Points: 6,758, Level: 54 Points: 6,758, Level: 54
User owns 1x Rupee Bag User owns 1x Master Ball

My Mood: Spaced
Xenon is a jewel in the roughXenon is a jewel in the roughXenon is a jewel in the rough

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Royalty Poster NFF Debater 
Total Awards: 4

Elle's right. Plus, the person you bought it off might have supplied you with some faulty equipment, but that's not very likely. But, you could just have your TV switched to the wrong input channel.
Old 06-07-2009, 05:22 AM   #7
SegaSlayer33
Finishing the Fight
Points: 21,468, Level: 92 Points: 21,468, Level: 92 Points: 21,468, Level: 92
User owns 1x Nintendo Game Boy Advance User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Classic User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Remote User owns 1x Nintendo Wii User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x SNES Controller

My Mood: Thinking
SegaSlayer33 will become famous soon enoughSegaSlayer33 will become famous soon enough

Awards Showcase
Royalty Poster Game Reviewer 
Total Awards: 3

PSN ID: Get your own Xbox Live Gamertag: Get your own
Assuming you're not in the position to open it up and fix it yourself, I advise different cables if Elle's post did not help. There is a chance of there being a prolem with the connectors, but if Elle's post does not help, then I think you are best off getting a new system.

To see an index of my review, click here
Latest review: Ristar
Old 06-07-2009, 05:40 AM   #8
Princess Elle
Nintendo King/Queen
Points: 16,966, Level: 83 Points: 16,966, Level: 83 Points: 16,966, Level: 83

My Mood: Angelic
Princess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to behold

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Royalty Yoshi Sheriff Medic Princess Award Poster NFF Promoter 
Total Awards: 8

Send a message via ICQ to Princess Elle Send a message via AIM to Princess Elle Send a message via MSN to Princess Elle Send a message via Yahoo to Princess Elle Send a message via Skype™ to Princess Elle PSN ID: ElleFan98 Xbox Live Gamertag: Willgetonesoon
Quote:
Originally Posted by SegaSlayer33 View Post
Assuming you're not in the position to open it up and fix it yourself, I advise different cables if Elle's post did not help. There is a chance of there being a prolem with the connectors, but if Elle's post does not help, then I think you are best off getting a new system.
You can't really find N64's anymore.
Sometimes we fall...so
Fall on Jesus
Fall on Jesus
Fall on Jesus and live!
- Untitled Hymn (Come To Jesus) -
-Chris Rice-
Old 06-07-2009, 05:45 AM   #9
SegaSlayer33
Finishing the Fight
Points: 21,468, Level: 92 Points: 21,468, Level: 92 Points: 21,468, Level: 92
User owns 1x Nintendo Game Boy Advance User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Classic User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Remote User owns 1x Nintendo Wii User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x SNES Controller

My Mood: Thinking
SegaSlayer33 will become famous soon enoughSegaSlayer33 will become famous soon enough

Awards Showcase
Royalty Poster Game Reviewer 
Total Awards: 3

PSN ID: Get your own Xbox Live Gamertag: Get your own
Lol. I mean a different one.

To see an index of my review, click here
Latest review: Ristar
Old 06-07-2009, 06:41 AM   #10
Cabin9
Baptized in a river
Points: 1,062, Level: 17 Points: 1,062, Level: 17 Points: 1,062, Level: 17
User owns 1x Nintendo 64 Controller User owns 1x Master Ball User owns 1x Shuriken

My Mood: Doh
Cabin9 is a glorious beacon of lightCabin9 is a glorious beacon of lightCabin9 is a glorious beacon of lightCabin9 is a glorious beacon of lightCabin9 is a glorious beacon of light

Awards Showcase
NFF Artist Signature of the Month 
Total Awards: 2

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_...ds=N64&x=0&y=0

You can buy them :P

Closed Thread