Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Gaming News

Notices

Gaming News Gaming News around the world.

Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 08:58 PM   #1
Konata
The NEET Thing To Do
Points: 38,287, Level: 100 Points: 38,287, Level: 100 Points: 38,287, Level: 100
User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x Purple Pikmin User owns 1x White Pikmin User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Yellow Pikmin User owns 1x Red Pikmin
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Gold Cucoo User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Princess Ruto

My Mood: Inspired
Konata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Ice Bucket Challenge Signature of the Month NFF Referrer Signature of the Month NFF Annual Awards NFF Bachelor Award Member of the Month Level 100 Award 
Total Awards: 14

Nintendo Killing Core Gaming?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neowin
I know this may seem a little bit overzealous, and maybe the title is a little misleading, but am I the only one who is tired of watching Nintendo's Wii and DS whore out games that are crap at best? Am I the only one tired of having some of the best franchises being dummy downed to the masses? Maybe it's not their fault, as it is, they are just providing the tools for developers to create content. When you create a gaming console that is fun, easy to play and directed at everyone and not just the gaming crowd, they have to share some of the blame don't they?

Remember when being a gamer meant something? It might be cool that your girlfriend plays as much as you do, and she is doing it in tight shorts or naked, but really? If your grandma and your 2 year old niece are playing games too, doesn't the appeal of being called a gamer wear off? Maybe gamers are just evolving, and not all of them have to look like this guy.

Today's Hardcore Gamer

Don't get me wrong, the Wii has some gems, but any real "gamer" has more then just a Wii, if they even have a Wii. I have to mention that I did own a Wii at one time (purchased at launch) and enjoyed it for about two weeks. Zelda was a great game, and there a couple of others on the system (see Mario Galaxy), but how much fun can you actually have with those. People seem to forget that Twilight Princess was a Game Cube game with motion controls thrown into it. Another beef I have is that they LOVE re-releasing games that were out for previous systems with no real sort of enhancements to the game itself. Doesn't it make sense for the Wii to be a great system for first person shooters? Find me one great FPS game that console has. I don't understand why people don't see that it is a gimmick. Is it a coincidence that the top rated games of this generation don't use full motion control? The biggest kick in the groin, in my opinion, is when they release a game that doesn't even take advantage of the controls. One of the Wii's top selling and highest rated games, Super Smash Brothers Brawl, doesn't even include motion controls. So why buy this when you can get the last iteration for Nintendo Game Cube for cheaper? And why should gaming be hard work? If someone has been gone all day at work or school, do you really want to come home and prance around like an idiot just to play a video game?

People are currently complaining about the difficulty of the controls in THQ's UFC 2009 Undisputed. Do people not have patience anymore? Not all games need to have the "hit the A and B buttons do to EVERYTHING" mentality. When was the last time you actually played a game that required a lot of hard work that felt fulfilling? Not all titles need to be necessary difficult either. Games can still be easy to pick up, but what I am looking for is some depth (look at Capcom's amazing Street Fighter 4 title). If you put in the time, the game is really rewarding, but if you don't feel like it, you can still pick it up and play it for a quick session. This game is also doing very well on the sales chart as well, because as time passes, fighting games are going to be looked at as a "niche" category. Virtua Fighter 5 and Soul Calibur IV sales were both mediocre compared to it's last titles and are both very good games.

Capcom's Street Fighter 4, one of the best of the year thus far

What about other popular titles? Activision's Guitar Hero is the new aged Dance Dance Revolution, and somehow it's destroying the sales charts. All you are doing is listening to music and hitting a button in sync with a screen (or whatever instrument you happen to be using). I thought good games had stories, complex elements, art, dialog and a point. You know, not an over glorified cell phone game. They should be something you have to work at with a sense of accomplishment once you finally get the hang of things. Activision is worst then EA when it comes to abuse of its licenses. Their are currently (I am sure by the time you are done reading this article, Def Leopard, Rolling Stones and Ozzy Osborne have all come out with their own versions) six different Guitar Hero games in the span of about three years, and they are for every single thing with a screen you can imagine. The biggest question I have to ask is what is the difference between them?

The worst part about this motion sensory nonsense is that Sony and Microsoft are following suit. Sony did a quick 180 and put motion control in the six-axis controllers, and Microsoft is now rumoured to comes out with a motion controller. Can you blame them? Nintendo has more money coming in then anyone could ever imagine. SCEA hardware marketing boss John Koller even said "We're moving on now... to look at softer brands that maybe we had with PS2 franchises. There's certainly a line-up of very strong family-friendly titles that we're looking at for PS3 in our continuing effort to appeal to that casual consumer." Sony, what happened? You guys used to be THE system for the gamer crowd, keep working at it, don't sellout now. Former Xbox boss Peter Moore even said that they are moving in the same direction: "I think they're doing that [introducing motion control] and I think Sony are probably the same."

Could this be Microsoft new motion control system?

I am tired of living in a world where the simplest games are absolutely murdering sales charts. Wii Sports shouldn't be the best selling of all time, that's just not right. I want a real Donkey Kong game, not one where you bang on drums. Us gamers can only keep looking for so long.

Hmm,, thoughts?

My little sister can't be this non-existent

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2009, 11:08 PM   #2
Riodoku79
Ell Oh Ell
Points: 471, Level: 9 Points: 471, Level: 9 Points: 471, Level: 9
User owns 1x Rupee Bag User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Classic User owns 1x Samus Morphball

Riodoku79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ugh...so much idiotic wii flamebait so little time.

V Haha this post sucks V
Old 05-25-2009, 01:58 AM   #3
Xenon
The Space Pope
Points: 6,758, Level: 54 Points: 6,758, Level: 54 Points: 6,758, Level: 54
User owns 1x Rupee Bag User owns 1x Master Ball

My Mood: Spaced
Xenon is a jewel in the roughXenon is a jewel in the roughXenon is a jewel in the rough

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Royalty Poster NFF Debater 
Total Awards: 4

I agree. It's quite annoying, the way they're releasing all these stupid games.
Nintendo needs to get it's act together, or they'll be losing a lot of their consumer income.
Old 05-25-2009, 02:07 AM   #4
Riodoku79
Ell Oh Ell
Points: 471, Level: 9 Points: 471, Level: 9 Points: 471, Level: 9
User owns 1x Rupee Bag User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Classic User owns 1x Samus Morphball

Riodoku79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Tell me, what "stupid games" has Nintendo released exactly?

V Haha this post sucks V
Old 05-25-2009, 03:13 AM   #5
Konata
The NEET Thing To Do
Points: 38,287, Level: 100 Points: 38,287, Level: 100 Points: 38,287, Level: 100
User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x Purple Pikmin User owns 1x White Pikmin User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Yellow Pikmin User owns 1x Red Pikmin
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Gold Cucoo User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Princess Ruto

Konata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Ice Bucket Challenge Signature of the Month NFF Referrer Signature of the Month NFF Annual Awards NFF Bachelor Award Member of the Month Level 100 Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riodoku79 View Post
Tell me, what "stupid games" has Nintendo released exactly?
Wii Music.
Animal Crossing: Let's go to the (only new thing in the game) city.
Wario Ware Snapped.

Just 3 recent pieces of crap Nintendo have poured into the market.

Old 05-25-2009, 04:26 AM   #6
AlloftheAbove
Points: 23,920, Level: 94 Points: 23,920, Level: 94 Points: 23,920, Level: 94
User owns 1x Purple Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Yellow Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Blue Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Red Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Green Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Light Blue Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Grey Chaos Emerald

My Mood: Gaming
AlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Ice Bucket Challenge Review of the Month Review of the Month Review of the Month NFF's 4th Annual Award NFF Old Man Award NFF Referrer Review of the Month 
Total Awards: 39

3DS Friend Code: 4382-1995-8800 PSN ID: RaptorWaffles Xbox Live Gamertag: RaptorWaffles WiiU ID: AlloftheAbove
Well, WarioWare Snapped wasn't that bad, considering it was basically free.
I can agree with you on Wii Music, that sucked.
But I enjoyed AC:CF. Judge it on its own, not by its predecessors. It's a good game.
Anyway, I do agree that Nintendo has become more focused on creating games that are 'fun for the whole family', and not 'hardcore'. But I do believe that Nintendo has realised this, and are finally getting their act together.

Last edited by AlloftheAbove; 05-25-2009 at 04:32 AM.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:53 AM   #7
Edso
Points: 117, Level: 2 Points: 117, Level: 2 Points: 117, Level: 2

Edso is an unknown quantity at this point

Nintendo is very much so killing core gaming. Why? Because it's making them money. Nintendo could care less what we think, it's a business that's going to do what will make them the most successful. Even if they release a new Mario or something, for every one of those games, Nintendo will probably release at least two 'casual' titles. The people buying the most Wiis are soccer moms, and people with large families, not Zelda addicts. That means that they will get the games they want, not the other way around.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:34 AM   #8
Skullz
Points: 8,587, Level: 62 Points: 8,587, Level: 62 Points: 8,587, Level: 62
User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 1x Megaman\'s Helmet

Skullz has a spectacular aura aboutSkullz has a spectacular aura about

Awards Showcase
Poster 
Total Awards: 1

"The biggest kick in the groin, in my opinion, is when they release a game that doesn't even take advantage of the controls. One of the Wii's top selling and highest rated games, Super Smash Brothers Brawl, doesn't even include motion controls. So why buy this when you can get the last iteration for Nintendo Game Cube for cheaper?"

lolwut? God, don't tell me someone is mad about a fighter type game like Brawl not having motion controls. I'd bet 500 bucks he'd be complaining about the motion controls if it used any.
Not to mention, Gamecube doesn't have online play and it couldn't possibly have all of the features/characters that Brawl has. I don't even know why he used Brawl as an example. And Twilight Princess was a poor example too. Both the games were about the same price, yes? So what's the big deal? You can choose to get a more motion controlled one or just a regular played one.
And Wii Sports...come on this is a no-brainer. It COMES with the Wii. Obviously everybody who's ever bought a Wii has this. It's not the best selling because it's the best game, it's the best selling because you're pretty much forced into having it.
And I do believe the Wii is starting to realize it's potential now with the Call of Duty out and Mad World and some other shooters that are coming/came out already.
Old 05-25-2009, 12:59 PM   #9
Konata
The NEET Thing To Do

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skull Kid View Post
"The biggest kick in the groin, in my opinion, is when they release a game that doesn't even take advantage of the controls. One of the Wii's top selling and highest rated games, Super Smash Brothers Brawl, doesn't even include motion controls. So why buy this when you can get the last iteration for Nintendo Game Cube for cheaper?"

lolwut? God, don't tell me someone is mad about a fighter type game like Brawl not having motion controls. I'd bet 500 bucks he'd be complaining about the motion controls if it used any.
Not to mention, Gamecube doesn't have online play and it couldn't possibly have all of the features/characters that Brawl has. I don't even know why he used Brawl as an example. And Twilight Princess was a poor example too. Both the games were about the same price, yes? So what's the big deal? You can choose to get a more motion controlled one or just a regular played one.
And Wii Sports...come on this is a no-brainer. It COMES with the Wii. Obviously everybody who's ever bought a Wii has this. It's not the best selling because it's the best game, it's the best selling because you're pretty much forced into having it.
And I do believe the Wii is starting to realize it's potential now with the Call of Duty out and Mad World and some other shooters that are coming/came out already.
Wii sports is sold separately in Japan.

Old 05-25-2009, 02:21 PM   #10
Skullz
Points: 8,587, Level: 62 Points: 8,587, Level: 62 Points: 8,587, Level: 62
User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 1x Megaman\'s Helmet

Skullz has a spectacular aura aboutSkullz has a spectacular aura about

Awards Showcase
Poster 
Total Awards: 1

Are a lot of the sales coming from japan?
Closed Thread