Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Nintendo DS Reviews

Notices

Nintendo DS Reviews Section for all Nintendo DS and DSI Reviews

Comment

Review Tools
Jump Ultimate Stars
Jump Ultimate Stars
When Stars collide!
Published by Noir
05-25-2009
Author review
Graphics
75%75%75%
Storyline
80%80%80%
Controls/Gameplay
90%90%90%
Sound
75%75%75%
Average 80%
Jump Ultimate Stars

Jump Ultimate Stars

Summary/Story 8/10

Jump Ultimate Stars is a collaberation of many manga series serialized in Shonen Jump. Manga such as Bleach, Yu Yu Hakusho, Naruto, Dragon Ball Z, Death Note, D. Gray-man, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Gintama, Bobobo, and many more. There will be manga you hate, manga you love, and manga you will WTF at. Theres a pretty wide range of manga and your bound to like one once you play this game for a certain amount of time.
Usually this is the story section for me but this game doesn't really have a story, but for a game like this thats ok, I don't wanna add a story to subtract from its score.
But in a way story, or should I say the main mode, is going through the J-Universe. Theres a planet for each manga, you go there and do missions which unlock koma. This is the tedious part of the game, since its in Japanese you'll have to always go back to the computer and look at the guide and find out what to do or how to unlock something. I really hate this back in the day, but once your done with it you'll be happy with who you have. The gameplay is more so in the online than by yourself, trust me.
Now the real story is kind of a blur to me, I hear a comic was made for it but I'm not sure. The game is in japanese anyways.
Oh yeah btw, this game is only available in Japan so its not in english obviously. (theres some english though) The DS can handle imports though, so import away, the text isn't abundant I guess so its not that hard to go through. You may be able to find this at a store though, there are some that sell imported games.

Gameplay 9/10

The fighting in the game is pretty normal I guess, the A is used the jump, B is weak attack, Y is strong attack, X is special attack. L and R are used to switch out characters or activate 3 koma. Left and right to move, down is guard, up does.....nothing in battle. :/ Select is their special action, special actions are all different and have different effects. Like Luffy's special action makes him eat meat, his health goes up but slowly. Some like Eve's high jump does nothing except well make her jump high. (helps avoid attacks I guess) I can't really say much on the fighting other than the moves are pretty unique and random. Most of the average characters use normal attacks while someone like Neuro will strike you with a little girl (Yako) with his Y attack. Yep, pretty random, but only some are random, characters like Naruto are still boring. Shurikens, clones, yawn. Fighting is better to be witnessed first hand.
Also its much funner on wifi, fighting CPUs is boring.

System

The game relies on a unique system, the koma system in which a deck is made composed of manga characters, its like your own little manga page. Each character is a koma, there are several sizes of koma to be put on there. 1 Koma are help, they just do little things like give you triple jump, make you resistant to burn effects, or reduce damage. 2 and 3 are support, they're character that come in and help you somehow by attacking the enemy or healing you. They're very important, usually used for combos. Their actions can be assigned to the R or L buttons (which is suggested) or just tap on them to activate. Then the important ones, 4-8 Koma are battle Koma which you use to fight, the larger the koma usually the more powerful. (though they're attacks may be a bit slow and they're harder to fit in a deck) High Koma like 7 and 8 are usually powered up forms of regular characters like Gears 2nd Luffy, Bankai Ichigo, Caramelman J, Potara Goku,etc. Only some actually look different though, but usually the larger ones get more powerful attacks.
It'll take awhile to make a good deck, but you'll be a pro at it eventually.
There are 3 character types to, Power, Knowledge, and Laughter. Their type depends on how they character is acting in the Koma or their personality in general. Power characters would be Goku, Naruto, Ichigo, and Luffy. Laughter would be Gintoki, Bobobo, Don Patch, or Arale. Knowledge would be like Eve, Allen, Neuro, Muhyo, or Kurama. Most character have alternates though, atleast 1 usually. These types do matter though, Power beats Knowledge, Knowledge beats Laughter, and Laughter beats Power. Its like rock, paper, scissors, attacks will usually make more damage depending on these. They all have benefits to really, Power characters are well powerful, Laughter character are defensive so they have more HP, Knowledge characters are a bit more unique. Knowledge characters are generally weak defensively but are said to have good dashes and those who don't have good ranged attacks. I can't really confirm this, Knowledge character are like bottom of the barrel in the tiers usually.

Characters 9.5/10

Theres a wide variety of character in this game. This section is just to name them all, the list is practically purpose. The only thing it lacks is villians really and some unpopular series are neglected. I'm just naming series and characters in them though, nothing more. Support and help list are to long. (just about all battle characters have support/help though except for a select few)

* Black Cat (Train, Eve)
* Bleach (Ichigo, Rukia, Renji, Hitsugaya)
* Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo (Bobobo, Pappa Rocks/Don Patch)
* Buso Renkin (Kaizuki)
* Captain Tsubasa
* Cobra
* D.Gray-man (Allen, Lenalee)
* Death Note
* Dr. Slump (Arale, Dr. Mashirito)
* Dragon Ball (Goku, Vegeta, Gohan, Gotenks, Piccolo, Freeza, Majin Buu)
* Eyeshield 21
* Gintama (Gintoki, Kagura)
* Hokuto no Ken (Kenshiro, Raoh)
* Hoshin Engi (Taikabou)
* Hunter Hunter (Gon, Killua)
* I"s
* Ichigo 100%
* Jigoku Sensei Nūbē
* JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (Jotaro, Dio)
* Jungle King Ta-chan
* Katekyo Hitman REBORN! (Tsuna)
* Kinnikuman (Kinnikuman/Muscleman)
* KochiKame (Ryotsu)
* Majin Tantei Nōgami Neuro (Neuro)
* Midori no Makibaou
* Muhyo to Rouji no Mahoritsu Soudan Jimusou (Muhyo)
* Naruto (Naruto, Sakura, Sasuke, Kakashi)
* Ninku (Fusuke)
* One Piece (Luffy, Zolo, Nami, Sanji, Robin, Franky)
* Pyū to Fuku! Jaguar (Jaguar)
* Rokudenashi Blues
* Rurouni Kenshin (Kenshin)
* Saint Seiya (Seiya)
* Sakigake!! Otokojuku (Momotaro, Edajima)
* Shaman King (Yoh, Anna)
* Slam Dunk
* Taizo Mote King Saga
* The Prince of Tennis
* Tottemo! Luckyman
* Yu-Gi-Oh! (Yugi)
* YuYu Hakusho (Yusuke, Kurama, Hiei)

Its a pretty sweet line up you gotta admit, 56 characters is pretty good, especially when a few have alternate forms.

Music 7.5/10

The music is very meh, you won't really think about it. The only track I pay significant attention to is Phantom of Hell, the others barely even exist. This doesn't mean break out the headphones though, that might screw you over in playing others online. Some tracks fit with the series and some really doubt, its mostly the darker series like Death Note and D. Gray-man that don't have fitting music. Most of the music is to happy and upbeat thats all, you won't even know its there really. There are atleast 22 tracks in game. And sad to admit it, but this is one of the better tracks thats played on the Naruto stage, music fits VERY well.

Graphics 7.5/10

Eh, nothing big here. The graphics are just sprites, but they look pretty clean to me. The colors are vibrant and bring the manga to life, the stages are great to. Planet Namek is great as ever and the Dark Tournament is just as dark as we remember it. Sure you can't interact much with the background but still, it looks good and its probably better this way. I can't think of much bad about the graphics really. The character attacks all look awesome, manga character who have yet to have are brought to life here. Its great to see them do what they do in the manga you read in real time in this game. It may just me being an otaku, but these graphics are pretty good to me really.

Replay Value 9/10

I'm really speaking for you if you have wifi really, if you don't then sucks to be you because this game will kinda suck then. Wifi is what makes this game good, you get to test your skills online, but watch our for hackers and Big 3. (Sena 3, Trunks 3, and Seiya 3, they're 3 extremely broken Koma which is why they're mostly banned online) Most of the time you'll only encounter this on random mode, random players usually tend to be assholes and do almost anything to win. Its fun sometimes though, but sometimes its bad.
Anyways, like most fighters replay value is only good if you have others to play with. Have fun making combos and destroying your friends online. <3

Results

Summary = 8/10
Gameplay = 9/10
System = 10/10
Characters = 9.5/10
Graphics = 7.5/10
Music = 7.5/10
Replay Value = 8/10
Total = 57/70 = 8.2/10
Total by NFF standards = 8/10

In Short

-Great fighter and a must buy for manga fans. (SJ fans especially)
-Unique koma system thats more creative than what most other fighters try to do.
-A great line of characters all with unique moves. (no clones)
-Awesome sprites
-Bleh music.
-Only good to replay if you have wifi. (actually its only good to buy at all if you have wifi IMO)

Useful links.

FHD - JUS online guide filled with translations and character descriptions.
Gamefaqs - Useful guides through the game. (especially Genroh's walkthrough)

NOTE: THIS REVIEW IS A DIRECT COPY PAST FROM ANOTHER SITE, DON'T COMPLAIN IF I DIDN'T FOLLOW THE LAYOUT COMPLETELY.
(
Might edit later on though)
Published by
chortles
Noir is a jewel in the roughNoir is a jewel in the roughNoir is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Noir
Sponsored Links
By Skullz on 05-25-2009, 11:47 AM
I've played the English fan translated ROM of it but I didn't find the game that great. The attacks for me seemed limited and just the way it played was a little awkward. A lot of people compared it Brawl but I really don't see much of a similarity.
By DarkLegacy on 05-25-2009, 02:21 PM
Looks a cool game might check it out.
Nice review Noir.
By Riodoku79 on 05-25-2009, 03:11 PM
Wait...BOBOBO IS A CHARACTER?!!! Me want nao.
By Mario on 05-26-2009, 10:07 AM
Good review.
By op89x on 05-29-2009, 12:32 PM
I like this review, even though I didn't like the game. Good job.
By spider5566 on 08-15-2009, 08:57 PM
Nice!I like it!
Comment