Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Nintendo Wii Reviews

Notices

Nintendo Wii Reviews Section for all Nintendo Wii Game Reviews and Wiiware Reviews

Comment

Review Tools
Mario Kart Wii
Mario Kart Wii
The newest kart racing game with all of your favorite Mario characters.
Published by gameaddict
05-29-2009
Author review
Graphics
90%90%90%
Storyline
80%80%80%
Controls/Gameplay
95%95%95%
Sound
85%85%85%
Average 88%
Mario Kart Wii

There have been many different Mario Kart games, eight in fact, (including the two arcade games), and the first of the series dates back to 1992. Mario Kart has always been one of the most famous Nintendo series, but does it live up to it's expectations?

The graphics are definitely an improvement on both Mario Kart DS and Mario Kart: Double Dash!, but these aren't the only improvements. Mario Kart Wii is the second Mario Kart game to feature the WiFi connectivity, (the first being Mario Kart DS). This means that that up to twelve different people from all over the world can play against each other. If you want to, you can on WiFi with somebody else by your side, or you can play by yourself. This is a great improvement of Mario Kart DS, where only eight people could play against each other.

There are a selection of different modes - there is Grand Prix, where you race to win awards, and unlock extra bonuses. There is Vs. Mode, (which up to four players can contribute in), there is Battle Mode. In Battle Mode, there are two different games - Balloon Battle, and Coin Runners. In both, the objective is to stay alive, rather than to win. In coin runners, you are collecting coins, and the person with the most coins in the end wins. In balloon battle, you have three balloons attached to yourself, and you must avoid all objects to stay alive. In all of these different modes, there are plenty of different racing courses to choose from, so won't get bored easily. The only complaint that I had was that you are forced to be put in to teams for Battle mode, (unlike Mario Kart DS, where you had a choice). There is also Time Trials, in which you try to get the best time possible.

There is a very wide range of controllers to choose from as well. You can use the Classic controller, or the Gamecube controller, or the Wii Controller with the wheel, or the wii controller without the wheel, or the Wii controller with the nun chuck. This is really good, because this way, if you want to play a four player race, you don't have to own four Wii controllers, which can sometimes be a bit of a hassle, since not a lot of families will have four Wiimotes.

By competing in the Grand Prix, you can unlock different characters to choose from, cars to drive in, and different courses to choose from. One of the greatest advantages of Mario Kart Wii is that it has so many different things for you to unlock. There are so many things to unlock, you won't get bored easily. One of the best unlockables in the game was the choice to choose your own Mii as a character. This was really exciting, because not a great number of games allow you to do that. Although half of the courses were just remakes of old courses from previous Mario Kart games, this didn't bother me, because I really enjoyed playing this game.

Overall, Mario Kart Wii is a great game for all ages. It's very easy to learn, but it's hard to master, which is the exact thing that most people want a game to be like. It has great visuals, and it is not the sort of game that you will play for a week or so, and then become bored of it. Mario Kart Wii is the sort of game you'll find yourself constantly playing, and it is suitable for anybody.
Published by
gameaddict is on a distinguished road
Sponsored Links
By Whiskermush on 06-02-2009, 01:12 AM
Okay, as of the review.

The review is a little to blocky meaning you bunched everything together without any color, headings and pictures.

These little differences do a lot, not just making it easier to read but it lets others make more inferences about the game than just reading plain text.

Better luck on your next review!
By Xenon on 06-22-2009, 02:10 AM
Pretty good, gameaddict. You should listen to Whiskermush, though, it's good advice.
By gameaddict on 06-22-2009, 04:57 AM
Member reviews
Graphics
90%90%90%
Storyline
80%80%80%
Controls/Gameplay
95%95%95%
Sound
85%85%85%
Average 88%
Thank you, Xenon. Yeah, I've done a few more reviews since this one. I've definitely taken Whiskermush'es advice. This was my first review, so I was still getting used to it.
By GameGirl on 06-27-2009, 11:13 PM
Nice review. Good description, great detail, great overall. Although, take Xenon and Whiskermush'es advice.
By gameaddict on 06-28-2009, 05:23 AM
Member reviews
Graphics
90%90%90%
Storyline
80%80%80%
Controls/Gameplay
95%95%95%
Sound
85%85%85%
Average 88%
I have. I've done a lot more reviews since this one - and now I'm part of the review team.
By tendodude on 06-28-2009, 07:57 AM
Good review. I really liked the language, and I agree to most things said.
By Pityglame on 06-30-2009, 05:11 AM
What Storyline does MKW have to get a 8/10
By Quinn on 07-05-2009, 11:34 AM
As Whisker said, it was a little too jumbled up, but otherwise, okay review.
By DreamQuilava on 09-05-2009, 08:48 AM
Member reviews
Graphics
80%80%80%
Storyline
60%60%60%
Controls/Gameplay
90%90%90%
Sound
85%85%85%
Average 79%
I really like this game.. I've played it for the... year and a half it's been out...
(excuse me if I'm wrong)
but yeah...
when you say it's hard to master...
I'm not a very good gamer myself.. but I found this pretty easy...
PS. sorry for any revival.. but I wanted to comment on my favourite game..
Comment

Tags
kart, mario kart, mario kart wii., mariokart, racing