Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Nintendo Characters

Notices

Nintendo Characters Talk about any of your favorite Nintendo characters.

View Poll Results: Is Birdo a male or female?
Male 8 33.33%
Female 16 66.67%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 11:27 AM   #1
Skullz
Points: 8,587, Level: 62 Points: 8,587, Level: 62 Points: 8,587, Level: 62
User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 1x Megaman\'s Helmet

Skullz has a spectacular aura aboutSkullz has a spectacular aura about

Awards Showcase
Poster 
Total Awards: 1

Birdo: male or female?

I definitely think she's a female. More evidence proves that she is not a male. The SMB2 guide is outdated and Birdo been offically referred to as "she". Her Mario Tennis bio states " Her speed lets her move around the court with ease. ". Not only that, Popple refers to her as "dame" in Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga. And in Captain Rainbow, there is a mission where you have to prove she is female (not trick cop into thinking she is female). All of the above are evidence more recent than that of the SMB2 guide. With that, (and every source nowadays refers to Birdo as "it") I conclude Birdo is not a male. Birdo started out as a male, but Nintendo changed their mind about..."it". So anyway, just state your opinions and why.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2009, 11:40 AM   #2
4poke
The pirate member
Points: 623, Level: 12 Points: 623, Level: 12 Points: 623, Level: 12

4poke is an unknown quantity at this point

Lol she likes that green dinosaur ! of course shes a female from her color
Old 05-30-2009, 11:54 AM   #3
Skullz

Awards Showcase
Poster 

Because she's...pink? Interesting reason.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:54 AM   #4
op89x
Not on the review team
Points: 3,648, Level: 37 Points: 3,648, Level: 37 Points: 3,648, Level: 37
User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 1x Warpstar User owns 1x Princess Ruto User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Nintendo Wii User owns 1x Nintendo Game Boy Advance
User owns 1x Princess Peach Crown User owns 1x Frog Suit User owns 1x Red Shell User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Green Shell User owns 1x Gold Coin User owns 1x Fire Flower
User owns 1x Magic Cape Feather User owns 1x Water Element

op89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the rough

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Monster Poster Poster 
Total Awards: 2

I already proved Birdo is male in the other thread, and I see you're recycling the same argument, which I already proved wrong, so I'll just paste my counterpoints from the other thread:

Referring to her as one or the other doesn't make her one of the other. I mean, geez, the Metroid manual referred to Samus as "he" the entire time, to hide the fact that there was a girl under that power suit. SMB2 outdated? Well, it's the only time her gender is addressed, and there hasn't been an official address since then, so it's all we have to go on.

So, mainly, you have no other evidence.

The mission where you have to prove that Birdo is female does not end in proving that he is female; it only ends in proving he owns a vibrator; men can also own vibrators. Many gay men do. Or men use them with their partners. So, nothing is proven.

Nintendo would have to retcon Birdo's gender, which I personally think they should, but they haven't yet.

In other words, Nintendo refers to Birdo as a male who thinks (and prefers) to get by as a female. In the mission you refer to, you never prove that he is female. The other games you refer to are sports games and therefore not series canon, so even if they included Birdo with a graphic depiction of all the lady parts, it wouldn't matter. And still, like I said, referring to him as a she doesn't change what he is; you could call me a she all day and it wouldn't change me.

Old 05-30-2009, 12:00 PM   #5
DarkLegacy
Points: 1,868, Level: 25 Points: 1,868, Level: 25 Points: 1,868, Level: 25
User owns 1x Nintendo Game Boy Advance User owns 1x Cucoo User owns 1x Green Shell User owns 1x Poke Doll User owns 1x Z-Saber User owns 1x Nintendo 64 Controller User owns 1x Shuriken
User owns 1x Triforce

My Mood: Brooding
DarkLegacy is just really niceDarkLegacy is just really niceDarkLegacy is just really niceDarkLegacy is just really nice

Awards Showcase
Royalty Signature of the Month Poster NFF 1st Annual Award 
Total Awards: 4

PSN ID: Jordeh59
I say she is female beacause of most of Sks reasons. But op89x knows his stuff so I'm going to have to say he's probably right and that birdo is male.

Tag by me
Old 05-30-2009, 12:01 PM   #6
Skullz

Awards Showcase
Poster 

The creators write the bios and descriptions so ya... it counts for a lot. So you don't have any proof other than outdated info which has changed. Samus being referred to as male doesn't help your argument. It could be due to them wanting Samus to be male but changing their minds, as they did Birdo, and made her female.
Old 05-30-2009, 12:05 PM   #7
op89x
Not on the review team
User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 1x Warpstar User owns 1x Princess Ruto User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Nintendo Wii User owns 1x Nintendo Game Boy Advance
User owns 1x Princess Peach Crown User owns 1x Frog Suit User owns 1x Red Shell User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Green Shell User owns 1x Gold Coin User owns 1x Fire Flower

op89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the rough

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Monster Poster Poster 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skull Kid View Post
The creators write the bios and descriptions so ya... it counts for a lot. So you don't have any proof other than outdated info which has changed. Samus being referred to as male doesn't help your argument. It could be due to them wanting Samus to be male but changing their minds, as they did Birdo, and made her female.
The creators write the descriptions, but not in English. If you look at any of the Japanese versions of these games, Birdo is never referred to as a female. Interesting, huh?

And the manual is not outdated. How can you say that? It's the first and only time Birdo is referred to in the manual of a canon game; therefore, it's the most recent evidence we have. How can the most recent evidence be outdated?

And I already stated why Samus helps my argument. It was definitely not a result of Nintendo "changing their mind."

So...feel free to provide some real evidence. Any moment now.

Old 05-30-2009, 12:19 PM   #8
Mimi
Lalalaa
Points: 8,729, Level: 62 Points: 8,729, Level: 62 Points: 8,729, Level: 62
User owns 1x Daisy Flower

My Mood: Relaxed
Mimi is a jewel in the roughMimi is a jewel in the roughMimi is a jewel in the rough

Awards Showcase
Royalty Signature of the Month Princess Award NFF 1st Annual Award Poster Member of the Month Signature of the Month 
Total Awards: 7

Send a message via MSN to Mimi
Idk Why she Would be Considered as MALE O__O Like She Has a Ring A Bow & She's Pink.. O_o
Old 05-30-2009, 12:20 PM   #9
Skullz

Awards Showcase
Poster 

Quote:
Originally Posted by op89x View Post
The creators write the descriptions, but not in English. If you look at any of the Japanese versions of these games, Birdo is never referred to as a female. Interesting, huh?

And the manual is not outdated. How can you say that? It's the first and only time Birdo is referred to in the manual of a canon game; therefore, it's the most recent evidence we have. How can the most recent evidence be outdated?

And I already stated why Samus helps my argument. It was definitely not a result of Nintendo "changing their mind."

So...feel free to provide some real evidence. Any moment now.
A virtual bio of Birdo is no different than a piece of paper saying it. Both are written by the creator.

And Americans are the ones who wanted Birdo to be male at first. Japanese just went along with it, while America changed their minds and referred to her as "she". Most recently though, all descriptions just say "indeterminate gender".
Old 05-30-2009, 12:29 PM   #10
op89x
Not on the review team

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Monster Poster Poster 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skull Kid View Post
A virtual bio of Birdo is no different than a piece of paper saying it. Both are written by the creator.

And Americans are the ones who wanted Birdo to be male at first. Japanese just went along with it, while America changed their minds and referred to her as "she". Most recently though, all descriptions just say "indeterminate gender".
As I said before, all descriptions are originally written in Japanese, and translated into English. There is a difference between a translator and a creator. I am also aware that a virtual bio is no different than paper; I'm not sure why you bring this up.

As for your second paragraph, I have no idea where you're getting that information. I was around when Birdo came about, and I don't remember anyone getting the game and saying, "Oh, you see this male character the Japanese created? Aren't you glad we decided he would be male before the game was even made?"

And yes, her American Smash trophy says Birdo is of "indeterminate gender." But not the Japanese one. And either way, it's not a canon game, so it doesn't even matter.

Closed Thread