Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Classic Nintendo Reviews

Notices

Classic Nintendo Reviews Section for all Retro Nintendo Games for NES, SNES, Gamecube, Nintendo 64, Gameboy

Comment

Review Tools
Mike Tyson's Punch Out!!
Mike Tyson's Punch Out!!
Can you take on the Iron Mike?
Published by SegaSlayer33
06-05-2009
Author review
Graphics
80%80%80%
Storyline
100%100%100%
Controls/Gameplay
90%90%90%
Sound
70%70%70%
Average 85%
Mike Tyson's Punch Out!!

Mike Tyson's Punch Out:

Introduction:
You may not remember (or even be alive) but back in the 1980's, video games were fairly simple. Run to the right, shoot that evil critter, throw that ball, it was all very easy. Then you came across a boss, usually bigger than yourself, and you had to use your wits to try and defeat it. But then came along a game that took this concept and just ran with it. Mike Tyson's Punch Out!! for the NES is a game that is literally a game of bosses.

The Game:
In Punch Out, you control Little Mac, a 17 year old 107 lb minnow who has been rejected by over 200 boxing coaches worldwide. You finally meet Doc Louis, former world champion that is willing to take you to the top. Doc will help you with his oh-so effective training techniques such as making you jog across the city of New York in a pink sweater and gives you helpful advice such as "Join Club Nintendo today!".

You eventually build your way up the ranks, defeating people from all over the globe. But nothing, and I mean nothing can prepare you for Tyson. He will beat you down,make you cry, and torture you for the rest of your life. If you have ever seen this image on your TV:

Then stop lying.

Graphics: 8/10
Some of the better graphics of the 1980's, Punch Out clearly shows each character and has an excellent camera angle that games still have a problem replicating. Mike Tyson looks very lifelike, and the graphics allow you to easily see the patterns without them becoming obvious. However, I did have a problem with Little Mac in the pink suit. It just looked......wrong.

The Graphics have one problem (although this my just be me). It flickers at the bottom of the screen. I have had to put duct tap at the bottom of the screen to stop me from going ape **** from all that flickering. I guess blowing into that game pak does damage after all.

Poor Mac

Gameplay: 9/10
The gameplay is unique. It really is what I said at the start, a game of boss battles. The bosses are challenging and pleasurable to beat, but Glass Joe's pitiful "boxing" means there is a good learning curve.

Heh heh, he has no idea...

Unlike other boxing games however, you are not required to have any knowledge of the sport. You do not need to know your peek-a-boo or your rope-a-dope. Instead, to beat the game, you must be able to read the computer's patterns and moves to be able to damage and cancel out your opponent. Here's an example:

Here, Little Mac has thrown a punch at the correct timing to disable Bald Bull's charge attack. This will also knock him down instantly, helping to ensure a TKO. You get a TKO if you can knock your opponent down 3 times in one round (there are 3), a KO if you can knock them down and they fail to get up after 10 seconds, or a decision, which can give victory to whichever boxer performed better overall (you cannot win using this in later bouts). 3 losses and its Game Over.

There is however, a small complaint. The replay value is dead zero. Once you beat Tyson (and then beat him without the password) there is no incentive to play again.

Music: 7/10

The music is quite good. It's nothing special, but it sets the mood. But the Wii remake is one of the best ever, so I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and of the technical limitations of the NES.

Characters: 10/10

The thing that really sold Punch Out to me was its colorful characters. They are all flamboyant, stereotypical and each have a wide array of moves that really tests your skill and reflexes. But, for all of the bravado they get, everyone who has ever played Punch Out knows who is the most badass of them all. Yeah, you know who I'm talking about....

Overall: 8.5/10
A great, unique game that takes the boss aspect of games and magnifies it to make a game that is worthy of any "best of" list. I love how the game challenges your reflexes and ability to read your opponent and I have very few complaints that are not down to technical limitations and game pak size. I recommend this game to anyone who loves a good boss battle.

Possible Improvements:
Adding to the replay value and maybe making the game longer with more characters would give the game a greater lifespan.

Mike Tyson:
This is Iron Mike. He is a super Sayain who has honed his skills in the grasslands of Namik. He is an indestructible cyborg who has taken the childhoods of many and turned them into lifetimes of regret, sore fingers and having these 3 images imprinted into the retina:

YOU. HAVE. BEEN. WARNED.
Published by
Finishing the Fight
SegaSlayer33 will become famous soon enoughSegaSlayer33 will become famous soon enough
Sponsored Links
By Smooth Criminal on 06-06-2009, 06:56 AM
The Wii version doesn't hold a thing to it. Good review.
By SegaSlayer33 on 06-07-2009, 05:05 AM
Member reviews
Graphics
80%80%80%
Storyline
100%100%100%
Controls/Gameplay
90%90%90%
Sound
70%70%70%
Average 85%
I thought the Wii version was quite good. Just no Mike Tyson. Oh well...

Out of pure curiosity...who has beaten Tyson?
By Princess Elle on 06-07-2009, 05:54 AM
Lol, nice review! The game sounds fun!
By SegaSlayer33 on 06-07-2009, 06:06 AM
Member reviews
Graphics
80%80%80%
Storyline
100%100%100%
Controls/Gameplay
90%90%90%
Sound
70%70%70%
Average 85%
I knew hat someone would find me funny eventually...

(Take that mom)
By SirManguydude on 06-07-2009, 11:27 AM
I have. I remember, I was 4, when my life revolved around NES and SNES.
By da Beef on 06-07-2009, 11:43 AM
yeah a lot people have beaten Tyson. hes very hard, not impossible. you shouldnt call people who say so liars in your review.

overall it seems like you are reviewing this game by today's standards and comparing it to the Wii version, which should not be done. take it on its own merits, in the 80s none of these things were "technical limitations."

and why does story get a 10?
By Tencade Kazarian on 06-07-2009, 07:20 PM
OMG thats the song in Brawl.. I knew I knew it... It took me 4ever to figure it OUT!!!!! lol
By SegaSlayer33 on 06-08-2009, 01:09 AM
Member reviews
Graphics
80%80%80%
Storyline
100%100%100%
Controls/Gameplay
90%90%90%
Sound
70%70%70%
Average 85%
Quote:
Originally Posted by da Beef View Post
yeah a lot people have beaten Tyson. hes very hard, not impossible. you shouldn't call people who say so liars in your review.

overall it seems like you are reviewing this game by today's standards and comparing it to the Wii version, which should not be done. take it on its own merits, in the 80s none of these things were "technical limitations."

and why does story get a 10?
It was a substitute for the 10/10 I gave to characters.

As for the "liars" thing, that is called a joke. And I know of a 12 year old who knew that was a joke. It is not impossible to imply sarcasm over the internet.

And why not? This is today, I'll review it by today's standards except for things such as graphics where this is unreasonable.
By da Beef on 06-08-2009, 01:37 AM
why not sarcasm? because it is very hard to pick up in writing. you need to be precise about it.

why not review it by today's standards? this game was not made today
Comment