Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Creative Corner > Profiles and Blogs

Notices

Profiles and Blogs Blogs and Profiles written by our members, telling about themselves.

Closed Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 12:01 AM   #1
SeanMi
Points: 5,973, Level: 50 Points: 5,973, Level: 50 Points: 5,973, Level: 50
User owns 1x Bob-omb User owns 1x Yoshi Egg User owns 1x Rupee Bag User owns 1x Super Mushroom User owns 1x Warpstar User owns 1x Nintendo 64 Controller

SeanMi has a spectacular aura aboutSeanMi has a spectacular aura about

Awards Showcase
Royalty Poster NFF Debater 
Total Awards: 3

PSN ID: SeanMi-ghty
Tough Times on the Homefront

Well, I'm sure we have all been affected by the current recession, so my story isn't that unique at all.

For around 6 months, my mom has been unemployed since the place she worked at closed. And now my dad's work has been Very slow. So bad, his bosses haven't taken a paycheck for themselves in over a month, just so they won't have to lay-off a worker. Now thats a truely strong relationship between the boss and employee, none of that union crap. The workers even decided to work on Easter, instead of getting a paid day off. To make matters worse, the biggest company that they do work for has announced they will close down....

Now, I'm graduating this Wednesday, and is going to enter the workforce for good. Finding a job is already tough. I applied at a gardening store, and there was already 3 people filling out a application, and another comming in after me, all just in a 15 minute timeframe.

The good news, i should hopefully be able to get a job at walmart. My Aunt works there, and should be able to put in a good word for me (or so she says).
Since I'm not going to college this fall, i'm going to need a steady job. I'm not going to college for the main reason of; I can't afford. Since I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed (although ranked 39th in my senior class), and i'm a White Male, I'm already disqualified from many scholarships.

Not going to college means that i'll have to pay $100 rent to my parents. Though i will have to give more, just to keep us afloat.

We are going to be cutting back on many things. My parents said they will try to stop smokeing at the end of summer, since you have to pay for a pack and a half and only get a pack, because the Sin Tax is unbelievably high. But, I do not think this will make them stop. My dad went to the hospital some years back and his doctor urged him to stop smokeing. He cut back for about a month, then went right back. We will see...

The thing that affects me more, is we may stop paying for cable. Now, that means...NO online/internet anymore, since we get our internet connection from the cable company. I really hope it does not come down to this, or i may have to pay for it. My parents don't use the internet much, but they do watch alot of TV. But if the time comes, and we need to severely cut back, we will be back to the stone ages of the 80's.
But i may just move out into my brother's house, since they will for sure have internet since they sometimes take online classes.

Well, we will see what happens. There is some awesome news for me, which i will post later on in a different thread.
Old 06-07-2009, 12:53 AM   #2
Whiskermush
User owns 1x Gold Coin User owns 1x Yoshi Egg User owns 1x Warpstar User owns 1x Super Mushroom

Whiskermush is a jewel in the roughWhiskermush is a jewel in the roughWhiskermush is a jewel in the rough

Awards Showcase
Poster 
Total Awards: 1

Wow, that is really a bad dilemma. I feel sorry for ya man.

I hope everything works out for you. It would be a shame to not have access to the internet anymore.
Old 06-07-2009, 01:37 AM   #3
Brandyn
The Gentleman
Points: 58,402, Level: 100 Points: 58,402, Level: 100 Points: 58,402, Level: 100
User owns 1x Master Sword User owns 1x Green Chaos Emerald User owns 2x SNES Controller User owns 1x Invincibility Star User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Rupee Bag User owns 1x Four Sword
User owns 1x Ocarina Of Time User owns 1x Fire Element

My Mood: Gaming
Brandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards Brawl AM First Time Award Mufasa Yoshi NFF's 4th Annual Award NFF Old Man Award Review of the Month Level 100 Award 
Total Awards: 15

Send a message via AIM to Brandyn Send a message via Yahoo to Brandyn Send a message via Skype™ to Brandyn 3DS Friend Code: 3282-3036-3021 PSN ID: Brandyn_Johnson WiiU ID: Brandyn_Johnson
Hope things brighten up, Sean. It seems to be much better over here in the west with no severe layoffs that I've heard of around where I'm at.

Ultra Street Fighter IV mains: Gen, Dudley, Ryu
Tekken Revolution mains: Steve Fox, Kazuya
Tekken 6 mains: Steve Fox, Jin, Hwoarang
King of Fighters XIII team: Ryo/Kim Kaphwan/Joe
Old 06-07-2009, 04:14 AM   #4
SegaSlayer33
Finishing the Fight
Points: 21,468, Level: 92 Points: 21,468, Level: 92 Points: 21,468, Level: 92
User owns 1x Nintendo Game Boy Advance User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Classic User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Remote User owns 1x Nintendo Wii User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x SNES Controller

My Mood: Thinking
SegaSlayer33 will become famous soon enoughSegaSlayer33 will become famous soon enough

Awards Showcase
Royalty Poster Game Reviewer 

PSN ID: Get your own Xbox Live Gamertag: Get your own
Yeah. About 5 of my friends have lost jobs too. We nearly had to kick someone out of the flat before they were able to find a job.

I'm just glad knowing I have a stable job awaiting me

To see an index of my review, click here
Latest review: Ristar
Old 06-07-2009, 04:32 AM   #5
Princess Elle
Nintendo King/Queen
Points: 16,966, Level: 83 Points: 16,966, Level: 83 Points: 16,966, Level: 83

My Mood: Angelic
Princess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to behold

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Royalty Yoshi Sheriff Medic Princess Award Poster NFF Promoter 
Total Awards: 8

Send a message via ICQ to Princess Elle Send a message via AIM to Princess Elle Send a message via MSN to Princess Elle Send a message via Yahoo to Princess Elle Send a message via Skype™ to Princess Elle PSN ID: ElleFan98 Xbox Live Gamertag: Willgetonesoon
Wow... That is really bad.

I hope things start to get better soon. It would suck not having you here anymore
Sometimes we fall...so
Fall on Jesus
Fall on Jesus
Fall on Jesus and live!
- Untitled Hymn (Come To Jesus) -
-Chris Rice-
Old 06-07-2009, 05:29 AM   #6
SegaSlayer33
Finishing the Fight
User owns 1x Nintendo Game Boy Advance User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Classic User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Remote User owns 1x Nintendo Wii User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x SNES Controller

SegaSlayer33 will become famous soon enoughSegaSlayer33 will become famous soon enough

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle Fanning View Post
Wow... That is really bad.

I hope things start to get better soon. It would suck not having you here anymore
Luckily for you, this recession will probably be over by the time you're out of High School.

I just feel for people like gameboy who are coming out now and don't have the money.

Old 06-07-2009, 01:13 PM   #7
Tencade Kazarian
Disconnect
Points: 7,522, Level: 57 Points: 7,522, Level: 57 Points: 7,522, Level: 57
User owns 1x Nintendo DS

My Mood: Devilish
Tencade Kazarian will become famous soon enough

Awards Showcase
Royalty 
Total Awards: 1

Your my Best Friend.
I never want to see u Leave

I kno its hard. But cut back may happen.
And helping ur parents is very Nice of you. Sense if u start to become the Main Income in ur house.

I hope for best buddy.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:10 AM   #8
op89x
Not on the review team
Points: 3,648, Level: 37 Points: 3,648, Level: 37 Points: 3,648, Level: 37
User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 1x Warpstar User owns 1x Princess Ruto User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Nintendo Wii User owns 1x Nintendo Game Boy Advance
User owns 1x Princess Peach Crown User owns 1x Frog Suit User owns 1x Red Shell User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Green Shell User owns 1x Gold Coin User owns 1x Fire Flower
User owns 1x Magic Cape Feather User owns 1x Water Element

op89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the rough

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Monster Poster Poster 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanMi View Post
Well, I'm sure we have all been affected by the current recession, so my story isn't that unique at all.

For around 6 months, my mom has been unemployed since the place she worked at closed. And now my dad's work has been Very slow. So bad, his bosses haven't taken a paycheck for themselves in over a month, just so they won't have to lay-off a worker. Now thats a truely strong relationship between the boss and employee, none of that union crap. The workers even decided to work on Easter, instead of getting a paid day off. To make matters worse, the biggest company that they do work for has announced they will close down....

Now, I'm graduating this Wednesday, and is going to enter the workforce for good. Finding a job is already tough. I applied at a gardening store, and there was already 3 people filling out a application, and another comming in after me, all just in a 15 minute timeframe.

The good news, i should hopefully be able to get a job at walmart. My Aunt works there, and should be able to put in a good word for me (or so she says).
Since I'm not going to college this fall, i'm going to need a steady job. I'm not going to college for the main reason of; I can't afford. Since I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed (although ranked 39th in my senior class), and i'm a White Male, I'm already disqualified from many scholarships.

Not going to college means that i'll have to pay $100 rent to my parents. Though i will have to give more, just to keep us afloat.

We are going to be cutting back on many things. My parents said they will try to stop smokeing at the end of summer, since you have to pay for a pack and a half and only get a pack, because the Sin Tax is unbelievably high. But, I do not think this will make them stop. My dad went to the hospital some years back and his doctor urged him to stop smokeing. He cut back for about a month, then went right back. We will see...

The thing that affects me more, is we may stop paying for cable. Now, that means...NO online/internet anymore, since we get our internet connection from the cable company. I really hope it does not come down to this, or i may have to pay for it. My parents don't use the internet much, but they do watch alot of TV. But if the time comes, and we need to severely cut back, we will be back to the stone ages of the 80's.
But i may just move out into my brother's house, since they will for sure have internet since they sometimes take online classes.

Well, we will see what happens. There is some awesome news for me, which i will post later on in a different thread.
I feel ya. As a white male myself, I never got a scholarship. I should have done more extracurricular stuff, I guess. Paying for college on your own is tough.

Here's what I did, though:
1. Stopped buying new games (I buy them used way after they're released from people selling them online)
2. Sold all my old books, movies, games, and CDs (after burning copies)
3. Made the girlfriend pay for dates every once in a while
4. Stopped eating out as often
5. Drove only when necessary (which is still over 100 miles a weekday for me)
6. Got two extra jobs
7. Completed surveys online (stopped because the money I got actually wasn't worth my time when I did the math)
8. Searched Craigslist and other places for people wanting odd jobs done for money (raking leaves, elderly people looking for help moving furniture, etc.)
9. Stopped buying store brand
10. Got a cheaper cell phone plan, since I wasn't using anywhere close to my monthly limit

Some of these may work for you, while others might not be possible, since you have a different situation than me. I can tell you, working three jobs while going to college was tough. Right now my girlfriend is finishing up college and is working three jobs herself (although she's still not even working the hours I was at my one job) and she's having a tough time of it as well. Just do your best with what you have, and stretch every dollar.

Turn the computer off when you're not using it. Open the windows instead of AC. Change your bulbs to CFLs, if you haven't already. Use less water by taking shorter showers or taking baths instead.

Everyone else, feel free to post your money-saving tips for those of us who need some. Or give me cash. That's fine too.

Old 06-08-2009, 01:27 AM   #9
SegaSlayer33
Finishing the Fight

Awards Showcase

Here's how I got through college

1. I won 15,000 in the lottery. But regardless, I still have about 13,000 of that in the bank.

2. Those sites with "odd" jobs are a real lifesaver when you accidentally set the local McDonalds on fire. If you have no job then simply doing some of these really help line the coffers.

3. Buy used games, or buy some older ones from the local store for 5-10 bucks! I have about 17 games in the current systems. And if it is a game with co-op, bring a friend over when you both have a night off rent the game and finish it in one go. And honest to god don't have XBOX Live. I was lucky my friend was willing to pay so we could go online, otherwise Mario Kart Wii and Brawl would have far more attention.

4. Ask yourself " Do I really need all that booze?". Do you really need to got out for dinner? About 90% of my meals for dinner have been vegetables with the odd piece of meat.

5. Don't get a girlfriend. Even with a job they are too expensive.

Old 06-08-2009, 01:59 AM   #10
Princess Elle
Nintendo King/Queen
Points: 16,966, Level: 83 Points: 16,966, Level: 83 Points: 16,966, Level: 83

My Mood: Angelic
Princess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to behold

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Royalty Yoshi Sheriff Medic Princess Award Poster NFF Promoter 
Total Awards: 8

Send a message via ICQ to Princess Elle Send a message via AIM to Princess Elle Send a message via MSN to Princess Elle Send a message via Yahoo to Princess Elle Send a message via Skype™ to Princess Elle PSN ID: ElleFan98 Xbox Live Gamertag: Willgetonesoon
Here is a few things you can do:

1. Craigslist jobs. Sometimes you can get a job that pays a couple hundred dollars, and it doesn't take long to finish.

2. Buy cheap broken systems, (Computers, PSP's, etc.) fix them, and sell them. I once bought a broken PSP for $40, fixed it and sold it for $159
Sometimes we fall...so
Fall on Jesus
Fall on Jesus
Fall on Jesus and live!
- Untitled Hymn (Come To Jesus) -
-Chris Rice-
Closed Thread