Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > General Forum > Media Entertainment > Movie Reviews

Notices

Movie Reviews Post your movie reviews here.

Closed Review

Review Tools
Quickie review: Imagine That
Quickie review: Imagine That
The strangest family film of the year.
Published by Gedow Man
06-12-2009
Author review
Movie Rating
75%75%75%
Average 75%
Smile Quickie review: Imagine That

I'm just going to do a quick review on the movie I just saw called "Imagine That."

Let me just say right now that there are virtually no special effects in this movie. It's strange why I liked it so much without special effects. The main hook really comes from the writing, acting, and camera work and they're all pulled off excellently.

The movie follows Eddie Murphy who plays a stock broker with his little daughter who always goes on imaginary adventures with people who seem to be able to tell the future of businesses. For example: She said that the 2 princesses in her world said that these 2 characters named after companies were going to get married and then he finds that the 2 companies merged. Her imaginary people said that another company character would be "caught with his pants down" and he finds out that the company was charged for fraud. It's a winning concept combining something so adult as the stock market and showing the views of a little kid. Later her dad starts pretending to go to her imaginary world just to get information, but over time he starts to develop with her and have fun. It probably reminds parents of how they used to play with their kid like that and it's touching. Then there's this other guy who's a competitor to Murphy. I'm not going to go into much detail on him, but let me just say that he's not really portrayed as a bad guy; just a wierdo.

So how's the comedy? It's pretty good actually. I mean c'mon.... It's Eddie. He is at the top of his game in this movie. He never overacts or underacts. He has such a wide range of emotion and..... it's just hard to put it words. He's like the Jack Nicholson of this movie's "The Shining." He's just great to watch. The writing itself is very comedic and very heartwarming at times. The comedic moments come when he's using his daughter's imaginary world as an analogy for his presentations in the stock market and he actually becomes a success or when he's dancing for the imaginary queen on top of a pedestal while everyone's looking. It's really funny to see how these adults just start acting or talking like a child for a couple seconds like when Eddie is trying to take his daughter's blanket and they catch him and throw him out and he screams "I want my goo-ga!".

So overall I say that if you're one of those hardcore teenagers who hate the family stuff then you probably won't like this, but if you like Eddie Murphy or if you're just looking for a really good film for the family this one is hard to pass up. I liked it as well as half the people in the theatre. Seriously they were laughing out loud at more than one of the parts of this movie and other times a few of them were saying "awwww...". I don't entirely recommend it because I'm aware not everyone will like this, but if you don't have anything better to do I say give it a shot.

................... So much for a quickie.
Sponsored Links
By Brandyn on 06-12-2009, 09:33 PM
I'm surprised if it was good. It didn't look very funny at all on the trailer. Plus,they copied from Adam Sandler's Bedtime Stories. It was the same thing, Sandler played as a man competing for a promotion with another employee and his neice and nephew would tell him a story and what happened in the story happened to him in real life so he started making the kids tell him stories because what they said came true.
By Gedow Man on 06-13-2009, 09:29 AM
I made that comparison as far as concepts, but this movie is better overall and much different.
Closed Review