Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > General Forum > General Chat > Debate Forum

Notices

Debate Forum This is the Debate forum engage in serious debates here.

Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 04:57 PM   #1
SegaSlayer33
Finishing the Fight
Points: 21,468, Level: 92 Points: 21,468, Level: 92 Points: 21,468, Level: 92
User owns 1x Nintendo Game Boy Advance User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Classic User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Remote User owns 1x Nintendo Wii User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x SNES Controller

My Mood: Thinking
SegaSlayer33 will become famous soon enoughSegaSlayer33 will become famous soon enough

Awards Showcase
Royalty Poster Game Reviewer 
Total Awards: 3

PSN ID: Get your own Xbox Live Gamertag: Get your own
Are casual gamers good for the industry

Nintendo. With the Wii and DS you have brought a whole new age demographic to the industry. Yet people on forums (who are usually not casual gamers) constantly bash any company that supports making titles ffor them. Why?

This happened once before, in 1996. The Playstation brought a whole new audience to gaming. Suddenly, the same people who were in the Basketball team were playing videogames. How dare they invade our sanctuary?!?

This is an industry that needs to become bigger if it is to earn more respect. So instead of bashing the casual gamer, I think you should support them. What are your views?

To see an index of my review, click here
Latest review: Ristar
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2009, 05:00 PM   #2
da Beef
Banned

da Beef will become famous soon enoughda Beef will become famous soon enough

Awards Showcase
Poster 
Total Awards: 1

there is a difference between mainstream and casual. the PlayStation was mainstream.

nothing wrong with a focus on casual gamers. to be perfectly realistic, all the consoles and games are doing it. every game i play today is too easy and is loaded with tutorials, people just focus on the Wii because of games like Wii Fit, Sports, etc
Old 06-27-2009, 06:43 PM   #3
op89x
Not on the review team
Points: 3,648, Level: 37 Points: 3,648, Level: 37 Points: 3,648, Level: 37
User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 1x Warpstar User owns 1x Princess Ruto User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Nintendo Wii User owns 1x Nintendo Game Boy Advance
User owns 1x Princess Peach Crown User owns 1x Frog Suit User owns 1x Red Shell User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Green Shell User owns 1x Gold Coin User owns 1x Fire Flower
User owns 1x Magic Cape Feather User owns 1x Water Element

op89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the rough

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Monster Poster Poster 
Total Awards: 2

Yes, every console is guilty of lowering the quality of their games in order to appeal to a wider audience. If you want a real challenge in gaming anymore, it's hard to find. Some third-party developers notably continue to make challenging games, such as Ninja Gaiden, but these types of games are becoming increasingly rare.

Some will argue that a wider demographic will mean more money for the industry, and that's a good thing, but I disagree. I like to think of games like Metroid: The Other M as an example. Sakamoto said he wanted to keep in Nintendo's philosophy of making games everyone can enjoy. Sounds great, right? Sure. Until he said that the game would be largely story-driven (which is very un-Metroid) and wouldn't be very difficult (which dashed the hopes I had raised when I found out team Ninja was helping out).

The thing is, I don't want a Metroid game that everyone can enjoy. I want a Metroid game that Metroid fans will enjoy, and maybe a few others. If people didn't like Metroid series before Other M, there shouldn't be anything in Other M to change their minds. I see the attention to action and cinematics as a blatant attempt to appeal to a larger group of gamers. But here's the problem: you should never change the heart of a franchise to appeal to a wider audience. That's the very definition of selling out. Now I know the game isn't released yet, so I don't officially hate it, but it's looking pretty grim.

The focus on the casual gamer has changed the industry, to be sure. And I don't mind casual games. I play Wii Sports when people are over (well, bolwing, anyways) and have fun doing it. But the problem is, everyone's doing it. Making casual games is not a problem; taking non-casual games and bending them to appeal to casual gamers is.

When will a game developer emerge that seeks to appeal to the hardcore gamer, who needs a game so difficult he'll never beat it without cheats, which doesn't hold his hand with hour-long tutorials, which is more than just an interactive movie, and which has fair multiplayer that doesn't reward the losers (see: Mario Kart series, Mario Party series)?

Old 06-27-2009, 06:55 PM   #4
da Beef
Banned

Awards Showcase
Poster 

Jon Blow?
Old 06-27-2009, 06:58 PM   #5
op89x
Not on the review team
User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 1x Warpstar User owns 1x Princess Ruto User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Nintendo Wii User owns 1x Nintendo Game Boy Advance
User owns 1x Princess Peach Crown User owns 1x Frog Suit User owns 1x Red Shell User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Green Shell User owns 1x Gold Coin User owns 1x Fire Flower

op89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the rough

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Monster Poster Poster 

Quote:
Originally Posted by da Beef View Post
Jon Blow?
Now if only he made mainstream games that other people would buy. Then maybe the main developers would take enough notice to change their ways, the way Blow hoped they would with his first game.

Unfortunately, indie games will never get the credit they deserve, simply because of that indie label.

Old 06-27-2009, 07:02 PM   #6
da Beef
Banned

Awards Showcase
Poster 

well Braid is the best selling Xbox Arcade game, so maybe there is hope. he's an industry celeb now, and he's stated to be working on a new game.

so maybe, maybe, this could be the seeds for something like you described.
Old 06-28-2009, 01:44 AM   #7
op89x
Not on the review team

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Monster Poster Poster 

Let's all pray.

Still though, he's only one man. I think a lot of Braid's success comes from the fact that it was truly unique in several ways and got a lot of hype when it came out, so people went to buy it and check it out, since they can't really rent it. I'm not convinced he has as many fans as Carnival Games does.

Old 07-02-2009, 01:34 PM   #8
taxman123
Goomba
Points: 101, Level: 2 Points: 101, Level: 2 Points: 101, Level: 2

taxman123 is on a distinguished road

oh man i cant wait for his new game
Old 07-05-2009, 12:27 PM   #9
Noir
chortles
Points: 485, Level: 9 Points: 485, Level: 9 Points: 485, Level: 9
User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Cucoo User owns 2x Metroid User owns 1x Megaman\'s Helmet

My Mood: Lurking
Noir is a jewel in the roughNoir is a jewel in the roughNoir is a jewel in the rough

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Royalty Signature of the Month 

Send a message via AIM to Noir Send a message via Skype™ to Noir
Its not bad for the industry itself, the companies are making more money this way and they really don't care to much about the gamers. Nintendo being the number 1 suspect who allows so much trash to litter their console and make the Wii seem like crap. The Carnival games, the Wii *insert gimmick* games, the infamous movie games (that are on every console really but the Wii attracts more attention and the more kiddish games are put on the Wii), and then there are just so many others out there. Its like covering a silver statue with feces and trying to enjoy it despite the odor its given off. To bad the casual monkeys love those feces.

Casual games have been here forever but because of motion controls they've gotten bigger and badder. Just about every American movie or tv show has a game now, most of which are on the Wii. I mean come on, when we have a game of "Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader" then we know theres something wrong here. Nintendo is allowing to much shovelware on their console thats weighing it down and giving the Wii a bad rep to most gamers. There are actually more bad games on the Wii than good ones, probably 70% of the games are shovelware. It is making alot of money but it seems like dirty money to me thats all.

Then theres casual games on other consoles such as the Guitar Hero and Rockband series, its just that there are so many of each of them, especially Guitar Hero. They seem to be produced so quickly and the only difference ever is the song list, it seems lazy and simple. I'll admit this isn't as casual as Wii stuff though because I have Guitar Hero III and I suck at it, can't play past Normal actually. I just hate that they make so many when there are so little changes.

But the casual gamers are not to blame, since they just buy what they think is good, or atleast usually. I've heard stories of casual gamers picking up whatever looks good no matter how much they do or do not know about it. Casual gamers are sometimes ignorant because they don't study games and pick them up off the fly really without much info. Some don't even read the box, thats why people end up saying stuff like "Madworld is such a violent game and shouldn't be on a kid friendly console like the Wii! Theres so much blood and violence and blablablabla" you get it. Casuals have made the Wii out to be something kid friendly, as just a toy and not a game system to be taken seriously. The only people who take the Wii seriously are Nintendo fans or people who have the Wii and don't say "My Wii is collecting dust and hasn't been played since Brawl boo hoo no good games on herez fawk Nintendo". There is no excuse for that to me, plenty of good games on the Wii IMO.

tl;dr version - Stupid Casual gamers and hardcore gamers are ruining the Wii's rep, but Nintendo still gets money so its all good. Its all about the money no matter how much shovelware you make thats mostly the same. (*cough*GuitarHero*cough*)
Old 07-05-2009, 04:39 PM   #10
SegaSlayer33
Finishing the Fight
Points: 21,468, Level: 92 Points: 21,468, Level: 92 Points: 21,468, Level: 92
User owns 1x Nintendo Game Boy Advance User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Classic User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Remote User owns 1x Nintendo Wii User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x SNES Controller

My Mood: Thinking
SegaSlayer33 will become famous soon enoughSegaSlayer33 will become famous soon enough

Awards Showcase
Royalty Poster Game Reviewer 
Total Awards: 3

PSN ID: Get your own Xbox Live Gamertag: Get your own
Here's the thing:

Video games are toys

Your Wii, your DS, your PS3 is a ****ing toy. Your Foosball table is a toy as well.

Exactly when was is no longer cool to admit the truth: Video games are toys

I'm expecting the answer to relate to when video games main characters were disembodied hands carrying the front half of a gun

To see an index of my review, click here
Latest review: Ristar
Closed Thread