Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Nintendo Wii Reviews

Notices

Nintendo Wii Reviews Section for all Nintendo Wii Game Reviews and Wiiware Reviews

Comment

Review Tools
The Conduit Review
The Conduit Review
Wii's Halo?
Published by SeanMi
07-12-2009
Author review
Graphics
80%80%80%
Storyline
70%70%70%
Controls/Gameplay
95%95%95%
Sound
75%75%75%
Average 80%
The Conduit Review

Every Wii owner should have heard of the game The Conduit if youíre a fan of First Person Shooters. Wii owners were waiting for a FPS that would live up to the other consoles in terms of graphics and online play. So, the big question is Ė did it? Itís a mixed bag, but for the most part it did not. This is my view and many others I have heard from.
The Conduit was so hyped up and considered to be the Wiiís Halo. But I find very little resemblance in many aspects, the biggest difference Ė online play. But I will go over this later on in the review.

The Conduit starts out at a point later on in the story. You play as agent Mr. Ford. You learn some of the basics and how to do some things with the All Seeing Eye (ASE) that will often be used during the campaign. You fight The Drudge, which is a bug-type race who are attacking Washington D.C. The Drudge come out of portals called Conduits. Youíll destroy these to stop The Drudge to keep spawning and attacking. After youíre done with this short level that trains you how to play, you go back several days, before The Drudge invasion. You work for the leader of The Trust, a secret organization in the U.S. Government. Youíll work for Mr. Adams and will have to fight some Trust agents who you believe have turned against you and are working for the terrorist Prometheus. You will learn however, the truth may not be what it seemsÖ

The Conduit is one of better online multiplayer games for the Wii, arguably the best. The Conduit has a good variety of modes to make the game fun. Most are the same as other FPS such as deathmatch, team deathmatch and capture the flag, but all are a bit different and called different names. For example the capture the flag is under a mode of team objective. Itís played with the ASE instead of a flag and there are different variations like having an ASE in both of the team bases or having just one near the middle of the map and return it. When you have the ASE, you cannot fire a gun, but can throw grenades. Also there is a bounty hunter mode that has you chaseing after a selected player. If you kill someone else, you lose points. There are a good variety of maps, some small and some large. Some maps are more popular than others. The map Streets is one that is chosen quite a bit. The game mode, map and weapons are all chosen from the players in the game. You vote for which you want to play. The selections with the highest votes are going to be what is played. You will use the same weapons in the online play as the single player campaign. There are weapon sets to vote for. Some ranging form using just Drudge weapons, to Trust weapons and other categories like near and far which is a combination of short range and long range weapons - like the shotgun and the SCAR (a scoped assault rifle). There are different Ďskinsí to choose from. There is an agent, drudge drone, trust soldier and if you enter a code, a trust agent with a gas mask. You get the code from getting the special edition from Gamestop, but the code is on the internet to find. There are ranks in the game, but they do nothing. You unlock nothing, and all that shows up is a triangle next you your name. It will get more detailed and will change colors when you level up.

I do however have many problems with the online play. I donít find it that very fun to begin with. There is no sprinting. This makes the gameplay go very slow. The weapon choice chosen only has that type of weapons. So if you donít like playing with them, tough luck. You can vote in the next round and if youíre lucky, people may vote with you. But the majority of games are of a crappy weapon set - Explosives being the worse. You have just random rockets going off and a grenade launcher. Also you will play on the same map a lot, such as the one I mentioned, Streets. So the vote option has its flaws. I also have the problem of sometimes it takes a couple of shots to kill someone, or it can take a whole clip. But this is the case with a lot of online FPS. The bottom line, The Conduit is like a watered down version of FPS on other consoles like Halo or Killzone 2.

Graphics:
Something the conduit is complemented on is the graphics. Its been compared to an early Xbox 360 game. Graphics are never a deciding factor if a game is going to be good or not only if filled with bugs and problems. The game does look good, but Iím not totally impressed. When I played a game like Killzone 2, there are epic battles and explosions. But when I play The Conduit, its going straight and the only explosions are the grenades you throw. Also, the background of Washington D.C. was a horrible sight to see, and thatís not because it was all on fireÖ and I noticed a pillar made of bricks. It had no indents so it looked like the lines where just drawn on. And the corners are a complete 90 degrees, not remotely rounded. These are very small flaws in the game that donít have any effect to the game itself,
only, I guess, the realism of it all. But again, the graphics get the job done.

Storyline:
I went over it earlier on. The story doesnít have much that is original. You can find it in most FPS. You kill a majority of these bugs that look like aliens. Not ground breaking but not unbelievably bad to play. So it is solid.

Controls/Gameplay:
The controls are where the game really shines. I love playing FPS on the Wii and The Conduit probably does the best job. You can adjust just about everything, from button mapping to the sensitivity of the control. You can adjust the dead zone and move the icons that display on screen (ie the weapon and ammo, health, etc) to your liking. You can remove them also. Really, the controls are very good and the best thing about the game.

Sound:
The sound is nothing special. The voice acting is alright. The sounds of the weapons are good. The Drudge make stupid groans. Nothing special or bad about it.

The Conduit was something we FPS lovers who own a Wii were waiting for. But the hype was too strong. I was excited about it last year, when all I had was a Wii. But then I got a PS3 and played some good FPS on there. I still looked forward to The Conduit, but I did know that it would not live up to its hype. Some love it which is great. But I havenít played much of it because I didnít really see what was worth going back for.
If all you own is a Wii, and you like FPS, then this game is great for you. If you own another console, I would not suggest buying it, but you still may like it.
The game is rated T for Teen and retails for $49.99.

The Conduit gameplay

WUL:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVGo9hXQ2ws

Online gameplay with explosives

WUL:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSKaD3DTAg0
Published by
SeanMi has a spectacular aura aboutSeanMi has a spectacular aura about
Sponsored Links
By op89x on 07-12-2009, 02:18 PM
Seemed like a lot of what you consider negatives are what I consider positives. This game sounds more and more awesome every time I read about it. As long as it's not "Wii's Halo," I'm down with it.
By SeanMi on 07-12-2009, 09:20 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
80%80%80%
Storyline
70%70%70%
Controls/Gameplay
95%95%95%
Sound
75%75%75%
Average 80%
Quote:
Originally Posted by op89x View Post
Seemed like a lot of what you consider negatives are what I consider positives. This game sounds more and more awesome every time I read about it. As long as it's not "Wii's Halo," I'm down with it.
Hmm, so you like a very objective to objective campaign, with decent graphics. Versing the same enemies and a generic storyline.
And for online play you like playing on the same maps using explosives 80% of the time. Slow paced by just walking and the hit and miss damageing system.
Those are some of the negitives I mentioned and you find those exciting....
Awesome.
It really is an alright game. So i hope you get it and we can play sometime.

The reference to Halo is that of the popularity. When you think of a FPS on Xbox 360, the first (and only) game that pops into mind is Halo. I was considering if The Conduit would have the same effect for Wii owners.
By Mario on 07-12-2009, 10:06 PM
Good review. I have the game, just have to get around to playing it. Normally i like my FPS on the PC but this one looks good.
By op89x on 07-13-2009, 12:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanMi View Post
Hmm, so you like a very objective to objective campaign, with decent graphics. Versing the same enemies and a generic storyline.
And for online play you like playing on the same maps using explosives 80% of the time. Slow paced by just walking and the hit and miss damageing system.
Those are some of the negitives I mentioned and you find those exciting....
Of all those things you just mentioned, they only ones I saw in your review were the same maps/weapons and the lack of sprinting. For me, I hate sprinting (and jumping, to be honest) in FPS games. It sucks. So yes, I'm happy about that. And the same maps/weapons is true of most games I've played online that include voting options, such as Counter-strike or TF2. No one seems to complain about them, so I won't, and I wouldn't if I were you. Online experiences are so varied that I never take them into consideration when reading a review. The voting system itself, however, sounds great.

So yes, I like your negatives. When I get the money we'll play for sure.
By SirManguydude on 07-13-2009, 01:00 PM
You can't really compare this game to Killzone 2 though, cause you can't just run around with a Knife and kill everything. Anyway good review. I'll open a thread later for Friend Codes for the Conduit. Also after I play more online(I personally Love it) I will write my review.
By SeanMi on 07-13-2009, 02:52 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
80%80%80%
Storyline
70%70%70%
Controls/Gameplay
95%95%95%
Sound
75%75%75%
Average 80%
Quote:
Originally Posted by op89x View Post
Of all those things you just mentioned, they only ones I saw in your review were the same maps/weapons and the lack of sprinting. For me, I hate sprinting (and jumping, to be honest) in FPS games. It sucks. So yes, I'm happy about that. And the same maps/weapons is true of most games I've played online that include voting options, such as Counter-strike or TF2. No one seems to complain about them, so I won't, and I wouldn't if I were you. Online experiences are so varied that I never take them into consideration when reading a review. The voting system itself, however, sounds great.

So yes, I like your negatives. When I get the money we'll play for sure.
Oh, you'll really hate the jumping in the online mode then. It is extremly annoying. I like sprinting, but i guess it doesn't need it.
What i like about some game (many on PS3) and also MoHH2, there is a game selection lobby. It helps because you can search for a game that is on a map you like, and may not have explosives on.

@SMGD
Yeah, i guess i can't compare it to KZ2. The games campaign just seemed way more epic compared to Conduit. If The Conduit had a very different storyline to most FPS, the graphics wouldn't mean a thing, aslong as they did more.

Thanks for reading and commenting guys.
I'll friend you SMGD and op once he gets it. OH, and Mario!!
By DarkLegacy on 07-13-2009, 03:18 PM
Nice review looks like a decent game.
By op89x on 07-13-2009, 07:42 PM
Yeah I'm not looking forward to the jumping in this game, but since the last FPS I played without it (with good multiplayer) was Timesplitters Future Perfect, I'm willing to accept this one flaw.
By marvman3 on 07-13-2009, 08:06 PM
Cool

Man,
this game has some bad reviews, yet is still selling like hot cakes.

Why doesn't MadWord get the same kind of sales?

Rockn.

Real Good review SeanofMilwaukee.
Comment