Nintendo Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Nintendo Wii Reviews

Notices

Nintendo Wii Reviews Section for all Nintendo Wii Game Reviews and Wiiware Reviews

Comment

Review Tools
The Conduit
The Conduit
Published by AlloftheAbove
07-18-2009
Author review
Graphics
90%90%90%
Storyline
90%90%90%
Controls/Gameplay
100%100%100%
Sound
80%80%80%
Average 90%
Smilie Waluigi The Conduit

As a huge fan of the Wii, Iím really sick of being told that the console isnít powerful enough for certain genres of videogaming. In particular, Xbox and PS3 fan-boys like to stick the boot in about not having a killer FPS on the system. This is pretty ironic, since they may have some good FPS titles, but a lot of their control systems (namely, dual analogue sticks) really do suck. Nothing on those consoles has even come close to emulating the accuracy of the Wii Remote and Nunchuck. While it may not sport HD graphics, itís got one of the most innovative control systems in the entire videogame realm. The Wiimote works extremely well as a pointer, and itís just been waiting for the right title, to really put its sleeves up.

SEGA and High Voltage Software deserve kudos for delivering the FPS experience we all knew was possible on Wii. What it may lack in originality, it more than makes up for in edge-of-your-seat action and ultra-slick visuals Ė some of the best ever seen on a Wii title. The game rockets on at frantic pace, and for most of the eight or so hours that the single-player campaign lasts, youíll be nailed to the edge of the seat.

The Conduit has a wigged-out, conspiracy theory-soaked storyline thatís an absolute scream, surpassing even the X-Files and National Treasure in the looney stakes. Weíve got killer viruses, contaminated water, mind control, evil government plans, and best of all: an alien invasion! Now, while some naysayers may carry on until theyíre blue in the face, telling you about it all being too derivative, as soon as they start playing, theyíll get sucked in to its story. They wonít be disappointed.
Players are thrown into the action as they take the role of Agent Michael Ford, an operative whoís embroiled in the midst of this huge conspiracy. As the story unfolds, he will embark on a series of missions that will pit him against both human and alien adversaries. At his disposal is an awesome arsenal of weapons that range from your typical human firearms, to weird and organic alien monstrosities, and The Trustís high-tech wonders.

Another excellent addition was the ASE (All-Seeing Eye), one of the most bizarre gadgets on an FPS. Part flashlight, and part scanner, it can hack both human and alien tech. Youíll even solve lock puzzles with it, opening hidden Trust caches of weaponry and ammo. The one thing I didnít enjoy, was the fact that it was the only way to destroy hidden mines, which kinda got in the way, when fighting off alien scum.
The control system in The Conduit is stellar, and best of all, itís completely customisable, as is HUD placement. I played through with all the defaults and found the original setup to be brilliant. It is easily the most accurate way to play FPS games on any console to date. The only issue I had was the slight hiccup when I was trying to turn around in narrow spaces, but this was overcome with an Ďupí press of the D-Pad.

All in all, The Conduitís single player experience burns hard and fast. Itís not that long, but it really delivers all the excitement you payed for. As youíd expect, online multiplayer is exceptional. The Conduit offers 12-way multiplayer with Wii Speak support, a solid collection of maps, and some very entertaining modes of play, including Capture the ASE, Deathmatch, ASE and Bounty Hunter. You will need to use Friend Codes to fight your mates, but this is little deterrent for such a great package.

SCORING IS OUT OF 5
GRAPHICS
STORY
GAMEPLAY
SOUND

I hate to say it, but I actually had more fun playing this, than I did with Metroid Prime 3. I agree with IGN's judgment, and I have to say that this is the best shooter on Wii. It truly is a great game!

Published by
Numbah Wan
AlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond repute
Sponsored Links
By Xenon on 07-19-2009, 05:08 AM
Awesome review, Aota. Just hired this game, and will probably buy it soon. Excellent game, excellent review.
By Mario on 07-19-2009, 09:23 AM
Great review!!! Going to hook up my zapper and possibly play this game later on today.
By op89x on 07-19-2009, 10:00 AM
I didn't know you could customize HUD placement. That's a must for any FPS game.
By Konata on 07-19-2009, 10:21 AM
Just a few thoughts..
I think that its actually hardly to aim using the Wii remote, especially if you've got a wobbly arm/hand. I also think this game is highly overrated by people giving it 90%+.

Sure, it's probably the best online FPS on the Wii, but you can't rate a game based on just the surrounded FPS's on Wii, you have to compare it to other games, and how good they are. And there are A LOT better FPS's than The Conduit. Examples?

Metroid Prime.
Half-Life 2
Bioshock
Call Of Duty 4
Team Fortress 2
Timesplitters
Killzone 2
Portal
Left 4 Dead
F.E.A.R
Doom 3
Resistance 2
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2
Far Cry 2
Metroid Prime: Hunters

There's loads more, but I'll save 'em for later. Good Review though.
By AlloftheAbove on 07-19-2009, 05:22 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
90%90%90%
Storyline
90%90%90%
Controls/Gameplay
100%100%100%
Sound
80%80%80%
Average 90%
Have you played the game?

EDIT: I don't base my scoring on just my opinion. I buy magazines and look up websites, to get a vague idea of the popular opinion. Of all the reviews and ratings that I saw, I noticed that they were around the 90% mark, and I agreed that 90% is an appropriate score for a game of such majesty.
Last edited by AlloftheAbove; 07-19-2009 at 05:36 PM..
By Konata on 07-20-2009, 05:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alloftheabove View Post
Have you played the game?

EDIT: I don't base my scoring on just my opinion. I buy magazines and look up websites, to get a vague idea of the popular opinion. Of all the reviews and ratings that I saw, I noticed that they were around the 90% mark, and I agreed that 90% is an appropriate score for a game of such majesty.
To first sentence: Yes, half of my friends own it, it's hard not to play it when that's what they want to do when you visit them. I've played it about 3 times now.

To the edit: If you look on the Game Rankings website, it'll show you a more accurate score. This website takes loads of reviews of every game, and makes an average of them all. It comes out at around 76% for The Conduit. Of course, that would be more accurate than just one review, a.k.a one persons opinion.

EDIT: Just had another look, as more people have reviewed it, the average has gone down to 73% now.
By Xenon on 07-20-2009, 06:44 AM
Konata, half the games you listed aren't even for Wii. And, although it does annoy me to say this, I'm enjoying this game much more than any of the Metroid or Metroid Prime games. I actually find it quite annoying when you say "it's bad" simply because you don't like it. You could have just said that you don't like it. Besides, generally the more reviews are done, the worse the average is, because you have to divide by a larger number.
Maybe the Game Rankings site only read the bad reviews and not all the good ones that Aota read.
By Konata on 07-20-2009, 09:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
Konata, half the games you listed aren't even for Wii. And, although it does annoy me to say this, I'm enjoying this game much more than any of the Metroid or Metroid Prime games. I actually find it quite annoying when you say "it's bad" simply because you don't like it. You could have just said that you don't like it. Besides, generally the more reviews are done, the worse the average is, because you have to divide by a larger number.
Maybe the Game Rankings site only read the bad reviews and not all the good ones that Aota read.
1. I know they aren't for the Wii, that was because I was comparing it too ALL other systems, which you should.

2. Game Rankings takes EVERY review from EVERY site. A lot of them have 90%+, but there are also lower ones. There's currently 38 reviews making the average.
By SeanMi on 07-20-2009, 07:17 PM
Its a very good review.
Theres nothing wrong with AOTA rateing it higher then the 'average'. He liked the game, and wanted to share how he felt about it.
In my review, i noted some things i didn't like. The public can read both and make up there minds.
Comment