Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Nintendo Wii Reviews

Notices

Nintendo Wii Reviews Section for all Nintendo Wii Game Reviews and Wiiware Reviews

Comment

Review Tools
Wario Land: Shake It! Review
Published by DragonLX
08-05-2009
Author review
Graphics
95%95%95%
Storyline
60%60%60%
Controls/Gameplay
75%75%75%
Sound
90%90%90%
Average 80%

Wario Land: Shake It!
A Review by DragonLX

Release date:
-America: 22th of September, 2008
-Japan: 24th of July, 2008
Console: Nintendo Wii
Developer: Good Feel
Publisher: Nintendo
Rating: E
Players: 1 Player

The Wario Land series... at first I thought they were just mere copies of the popular Mario platformers, with the sole difference of their protagonist being Wario, one of the fugliest videogame characters ever to live. (Well, not that fugly, but I don't really like him. :P) But just as they say: 'Don't judge a book by it's cover.'

Wario Land: Shake It! is the latest installment for the Wario Land series, and as it title suggests, the main protagonist and playable character is Wario. The game consits of controlling him through a series of islands each containing about five stages. While this may sound rather simple and unexciting, these levels are full of enemies, smashable blocks, puzzles and much more. This is a quite entertaining title that will give you some hours of fun.

Storyline

As you would expect from a platformer, the storyline isn't exactly the strongest point of the game, however Wario Land: Shake It!'s storyline is rather interesting.

This time, I brought to you the opening video since I believe it will be more interesting and entertaining than my boring paraghraphs...

Spoiler
Storyline: 6/10
Not too exciting, not too boring. The storyline could have some improvement.

Controls & Gameplay

As said in the introduction, this title's gameplay may seem like your typical platformer at first but it has many features that make it different from others.

Most of the stages are quite linear, so there is really no way you can get lost while exploring but there are several paths that lead to areas with treasures and coin bags. At the end of every stage you must rush back to the entrance and when on this run even more paths open up for you to explore, although you can't stand still for too long since when the rush to the entrance begins a timer will start a countdown and when it reaches zero you will lose everything you collected on the stage.

The game has quite intuitive controls. The basic controls are simple; you must hold the Wii-Mote in a horizontal position. The directional pads are self-explanatory. With 1 you jump and with 2 you can dash, and it's possible to do a combination with both, also, you can shake your Wii-Mote in order to do a Ground Pound which allows to move obstacles and stun enemies, and when holding an item or enemies you can shake you Wii-Mote to get some goodies such as coins or garlics. (which restore Wario's health)

A new feature to the Wario Land series (to my knowledge) is the adittion of vehicles. These are controlled with the position of the Wii-Mote. (if it's in a balanced, horizontal position, the vehicle will not move, move it a little down and to the right and the vehicle will move to the right, etc) This feature is quite hard to get at first and really frustating in some points of the game, well, it was hard for me.

Gameplay: 7.8/10
Run-Down Pyramid Gameplay Video
Spoiler

Graphics

Graphics: 9.5/10
This game holds quite outstanding graphics. All backgrounds are beatifully drawn and mostly everything is in a cartoon-ish style. Few 2D platformers have the amazing graphics that Wario Land: Shake It! has achieved.

Sound

Sound: 9/10
Simply amazing. Not a single level in the game (with the exception of the secret ones) has the same background music, and most of them were truly espectular in my opinion. Every boss battle has a soundtrack that fits quite well for each battle, giving you the feelings intended to be transmited in each of them.

Stage 2-1 'Just Plains' Music
Spoiler

Stage 4-3 'Airytale Castle' Music
Spoiler

Replay Value

Replay Value: 8.3/10
The game itself is quite short, you may finish it within two days in continous gameplay but there are several things you can do in order to complete the game in a 100% for those who want the completition feeling. Each level holds three, sometimes very well hidden treasures, three or more missions which can vary from not touching the water of a stage to completing the rush to the beggining in a certain time, and some of them have secret maps to unlock even more stages. Completing this game will take a long time to achieve in a first playthrough.

Final Score
8.3/10
Great

Wario Land: Shake It! didn't get the attention it truly deserved and I must admit I didn't knew of the existance of this game until a friend told me. Still, this game will be quite entertaining for casual, retro and hardcore gamers.

Buy or Not Buy?

Rent first and see if you want to buy it. All in all, Wario Land: Shake It! may be a great title, but it's not worth $50 if you're going to play it for two days.

Pros
+ Outstanding cartoon-esque graphics
+ Amazing Soundtrack

Cons
- Vehicles have frustating controls

For reading this review!

Disclaimer
This review is property and was fully made by it's author, DragonLX. You may not redistribute this review in other websites, books, forums, etc. without the author's consent.
The screenshots and boxart from the game were not taken by me. Credit goes to however took them.
Videos 'Wario Land: Shake It! - Intro Movie' and 'Wario Land: Shake It! - 1-4 - Run-Down Pyramid - 100% Completion' were made by YouTube user, WhiteKhakis.
Videos '[Music] Wario Land: Shake It! - 2-1' and '[Music] Wario Land: Shake It! - 4-3' were made by YouTube user, WiiC24.
Sponsored Links
By Mario on 08-05-2009, 09:20 PM
Woooohoooo a new review!!!! Very good job on the Review Dragon.
By da Beef on 08-06-2009, 12:15 AM
very nice review
By Cabin9 on 08-06-2009, 12:54 AM
Its an amazing game i love it <3 obv LOL good review would given it better myself
By jax90 on 08-07-2009, 09:26 AM
good game good review
By Wiidude on 08-08-2009, 03:24 PM
Wiidude thinks you are good at game reviews. I like this game too.
Comment

Tags
great, land, review, shake it, wario