Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > General Forum > General Chat

Notices

General Chat Post away about anything in general just remember no content that would fit in other sections.

Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 09:51 PM   #1
op89x
Not on the review team
Points: 3,648, Level: 37 Points: 3,648, Level: 37 Points: 3,648, Level: 37
User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 1x Warpstar User owns 1x Princess Ruto User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Nintendo Wii User owns 1x Nintendo Game Boy Advance
User owns 1x Princess Peach Crown User owns 1x Frog Suit User owns 1x Red Shell User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Green Shell User owns 1x Gold Coin User owns 1x Fire Flower
User owns 1x Magic Cape Feather User owns 1x Water Element

op89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the rough

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Monster Poster Poster 
Total Awards: 2

Bit of an awkward situation...

Friends of mine are splitting as a couple and are now living apart. I'm learning this after not speaking to either of them for two weeks. I don't want to take sides, and I don't know exactly why they are splitting, or what the status of their divorce is, or anything, really. All I heard is what I posted, and that's just something one of them wrote online.

So what should I do in this situation? I want to talk to them about it, but I don't want to talk to one before the other, or one and not the other. I would just wait for them to talk to me first, but then I don't want to seem like someone who doesn't care.

This has never happened to me before; usually I'm not friends with both of them. Anyone in a similar situation?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2009, 09:57 PM   #2
Xenon
The Space Pope
Points: 6,758, Level: 54 Points: 6,758, Level: 54 Points: 6,758, Level: 54
User owns 1x Rupee Bag User owns 1x Master Ball

My Mood: Spaced
Xenon is a jewel in the roughXenon is a jewel in the roughXenon is a jewel in the rough

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Royalty Poster NFF Debater 
Total Awards: 4

Well... I'm not in a similar situation, but I have something you might consider. Bear in mind that you should in no way take this as the be-all and end-all of information, and that you should probably listen to adults and not me, but I'll give you my opinion anyway.

Why not just be friends with them continuing, but just don't mention it? Just go about with them as normal, and if they bring it up, talk to them about it?
Old 08-15-2009, 10:04 PM   #3
Zakku
yeah
Points: 461, Level: 9 Points: 461, Level: 9 Points: 461, Level: 9

My Mood: Spaced
Zakku has a spectacular aura aboutZakku has a spectacular aura about

See, they may not want to talk about it at all oP. So, I understand you don't want to seem nosy or intruding, but I doubt they will open up to you about the problem, as it could be personal, so you could always slowly bring it into a conversation.

But, I'd say Xenon has a fairly good idea, as then you obviously have shown respect for privacy, and that may be the security one of them needs to open up to you, if you understand.

They can't really view you as someone who doesn't care because you didn't ask, as it's not your business, and not prematurely interfering shows that you understand.

Think about what you feel is best from that my friend.

The goal isn't to achieve immortality, it is to create entities that humanity recreate as a mantra in your name for eternity.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:01 AM   #4
Skullz
Points: 8,587, Level: 62 Points: 8,587, Level: 62 Points: 8,587, Level: 62
User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 1x Megaman\'s Helmet

Skullz has a spectacular aura aboutSkullz has a spectacular aura about

Awards Showcase
Poster 
Total Awards: 1

I usually flip the situation around. Like put yourself in their shoes. Would you want your friend to talk to you if you were getting a divorce? Hope that helps.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:54 AM   #5
AlloftheAbove
Numbah Wan
Points: 23,828, Level: 94 Points: 23,828, Level: 94 Points: 23,828, Level: 94
User owns 1x Purple Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Yellow Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Blue Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Red Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Green Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Light Blue Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Grey Chaos Emerald

My Mood: Gaming
AlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Review of the Month Review of the Month Review of the Month NFF's 4th Annual Award NFF Old Man Award NFF Referrer Review of the Month Review of the Month 
Total Awards: 38

3DS Friend Code: 4382-1995-8800 Xbox Live Gamertag: RaptorWaffles WiiU ID: AlloftheAbove
Well, since you haven't talked to them for two weeks prior, I assume that they'd have closer friends than just you. Since they haven't spoken to you about it, I can only guess that they would have already talked to closer friends of theirs about the issue.

If you really feel as if it is your duty to talk about it, I'm almost sure that if you talk to one of them for long enough, the topic will come up.

EDIT: Shouldn't this thread be in the 'Profiles and Blogs' section?

Last edited by AlloftheAbove; 08-16-2009 at 02:00 AM.
Old 08-16-2009, 04:03 PM   #6
op89x
Not on the review team
User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 1x Warpstar User owns 1x Princess Ruto User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Nintendo Wii User owns 1x Nintendo Game Boy Advance
User owns 1x Princess Peach Crown User owns 1x Frog Suit User owns 1x Red Shell User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Green Shell User owns 1x Gold Coin User owns 1x Fire Flower

op89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the rough

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Monster Poster Poster 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alloftheabove View Post
Well, since you haven't talked to them for two weeks prior, I assume that they'd have closer friends than just you. Since they haven't spoken to you about it, I can only guess that they would have already talked to closer friends of theirs about the issue.

If you really feel as if it is your duty to talk about it, I'm almost sure that if you talk to one of them for long enough, the topic will come up.

EDIT: Shouldn't this thread be in the 'Profiles and Blogs' section?

To be honest, the reason I haven't spoken to them in so long is because I haven't been around. And apparently they didn't talk to their other friends about it, either.

But good thoughts in here, everyone. I appreciate it. I'm just going to go on as normal as possible and if they bring it up, I'll be supportive.

And this is neither a profile nor a blog.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:46 AM   #7
AlloftheAbove
Numbah Wan
Points: 23,828, Level: 94 Points: 23,828, Level: 94 Points: 23,828, Level: 94
User owns 1x Purple Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Yellow Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Blue Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Red Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Green Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Light Blue Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Grey Chaos Emerald

My Mood: Gaming
AlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Review of the Month Review of the Month Review of the Month NFF's 4th Annual Award NFF Old Man Award NFF Referrer Review of the Month Review of the Month 
Total Awards: 38

3DS Friend Code: 4382-1995-8800 Xbox Live Gamertag: RaptorWaffles WiiU ID: AlloftheAbove
Well, I thought it was a bit of a blog, but I guess that's me.
Good luck, Ope.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:02 AM   #8
Yelloflyte
Wikipedian
Points: 938, Level: 16 Points: 938, Level: 16 Points: 938, Level: 16

Yelloflyte has a spectacular aura aboutYelloflyte has a spectacular aura about

Send a message via MSN to Yelloflyte
Quote:
Originally Posted by op89x View Post
Friends of mine are splitting as a couple and are now living apart. I'm learning this after not speaking to either of them for two weeks. I don't want to take sides, and I don't know exactly why they are splitting, or what the status of their divorce is, or anything, really. All I heard is what I posted, and that's just something one of them wrote online.

So what should I do in this situation? I want to talk to them about it, but I don't want to talk to one before the other, or one and not the other. I would just wait for them to talk to me first, but then I don't want to seem like someone who doesn't care.

This has never happened to me before; usually I'm not friends with both of them. Anyone in a similar situation?
Well, stick by your friend. Talk to the friend about it. Maintain a pleasant rapport with the other should it prove necessary, but I maintain that your duty is to your friend here not the ex-friend-in-law.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:44 PM   #9
op89x
Not on the review team

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Monster Poster Poster 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelloflyte View Post
Well, stick by your friend. Talk to the friend about it. Maintain a pleasant rapport with the other should it prove necessary, but I maintain that your duty is to your friend here not the ex-friend-in-law.
They're both friends of mine.

Old 08-18-2009, 02:08 AM   #10
Yelloflyte
Wikipedian
Points: 938, Level: 16 Points: 938, Level: 16 Points: 938, Level: 16

Yelloflyte has a spectacular aura aboutYelloflyte has a spectacular aura about

Send a message via MSN to Yelloflyte
Quote:
Originally Posted by op89x View Post
They're both friends of mine.
"This has never happened to me before; usually I'm not friends with both of them."
Closed Thread