Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > General Forum > General Chat

Notices

General Chat Post away about anything in general just remember no content that would fit in other sections.

Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 10:22 AM   #1
Yelloflyte
Wikipedian
Points: 938, Level: 16 Points: 938, Level: 16 Points: 938, Level: 16

Yelloflyte has a spectacular aura aboutYelloflyte has a spectacular aura about

Send a message via MSN to Yelloflyte
Atlas Shrugged, and other books of influence

Atlas Shrugged is a book I'm currently reading by Russian author Ayn Rand. It's regarded as a classic, and it produced a whole new school of philosophy Objectivism. Moreover, it was the inspiration for BioShock (2007), an Xbox 360 and PC game a few of you might know. Has anyone else read it? If not, has anyone been reading any other books of influence recently?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2009, 10:54 AM   #2
da Beef
Banned

da Beef will become famous soon enoughda Beef will become famous soon enough

Awards Showcase
Poster 
Total Awards: 1

Objectivism and Ayn Rand are total elitist BS. Bioshock was a rejection of her ideas.

the last book that had a huge influence on me was 1984. i read it when i was 15, two years after reading Animal Farm. it changed my entire way of thinking, and thus my life.

that was 5 years ago, and no other book has had such an impact. the only other books since then that have left an impression were The Little Prince and Watchmen. honestly i don't find too many books compelling these days. i prefer games; i get to shoot things
Old 08-19-2009, 11:13 AM   #3
Yelloflyte
Wikipedian
Points: 938, Level: 16 Points: 938, Level: 16 Points: 938, Level: 16

Yelloflyte has a spectacular aura aboutYelloflyte has a spectacular aura about

Send a message via MSN to Yelloflyte
Quote:
Originally Posted by da Beef View Post
Objectivism and Ayn Rand are total elitist BS. Bioshock was a rejection of her ideas.

the last book that had a huge influence on me was 1984. i read it when i was 15, two years after reading Animal Farm. it changed my entire way of thinking, and thus my life.

that was 5 years ago, and no other book has had such an impact. the only other books since then that have left an impression were The Little Prince and Watchmen. honestly i don't find too many books compelling these days. i prefer games; i get to shoot things
I'm up to p. 120 of AS, and I'm starting to get that impression. She hasn't stated her elitist tendencies outright, but all of the main characters continue to assert their belief that money, power, and making as big a name for oneself in the world are life's foci. Objectivism states that happiness is most important, but AS seems to equate those things with happiness. It's interesting, though, even if I disagree with her philosophical stance.

I haven't read 1984, but I was not fond of Animal Farm. I'm usually not endeared to extended analogy in the first place; and I found the book to be too much of a simplification anyway. It also seemed too short. 80 pages just doesn't have much real flesh to it. 1984 is a lot more appealing to me, and I've heard good reports from people. Interestingly enough, some people draw certain parallels between 1984 and AS.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:18 AM   #4
da Beef
Banned

da Beef will become famous soon enoughda Beef will become famous soon enough

Awards Showcase
Poster 
Total Awards: 1

Animal Farm is like the precursor to 1984. it is inferior in every way, but i still like it because of the novelty and we simply wouldn't have 1984 without it.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:27 PM   #5
op89x
Not on the review team
Points: 3,648, Level: 37 Points: 3,648, Level: 37 Points: 3,648, Level: 37
User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 1x Warpstar User owns 1x Princess Ruto User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Nintendo Wii User owns 1x Nintendo Game Boy Advance
User owns 1x Princess Peach Crown User owns 1x Frog Suit User owns 1x Red Shell User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Green Shell User owns 1x Gold Coin User owns 1x Fire Flower
User owns 1x Magic Cape Feather User owns 1x Water Element

op89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the rough

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Monster Poster Poster 
Total Awards: 2

Read 1984. It'll only take a day or two and is certainly worth your time. Also read Corey Doctorow's Little Brother. It's released under the Creative Commons license, which means it's free, so Google it and you can read it online. But read 1984 first.

Closed Thread