Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Nintendo Wii Reviews

Notices

Nintendo Wii Reviews Section for all Nintendo Wii Game Reviews and Wiiware Reviews

Comment

Review Tools
Onslaught
Onslaught
op89x
Published by op89x
08-21-2009
Author review
Graphics
50%50%50%
Storyline
40%40%40%
Controls/Gameplay
100%100%100%
Sound
30%30%30%
Average 55%
Onslaught

Onslaught
Hudson Soft, 2009
WiiWare

Note: None of the images here are original to me; they were all taken from other sources.

Graphics
Because I donít believe graphics make the difference between good games and bad games, I wonít bother to rate graphics in my reviews unless there are glitches or abnormalities that affect gameplay. In this case, there are no issues of that sort. If you wish to judge the graphics, you are free to look at the screenshots and decide for yourself. The only problem with the graphics here is that they are very repetitive.

Using the rifle to defend the base from bugs.
Story/Concept (Genre) 4/10
The story is simple. Youíre a member of a team sent to investigate some planet, things go wrong, bugs appear, and you have to kill them all and take out the big boss bug at the end. Whatever. The story is told with lots of text, which feels so dated now.

Another level where you defend the base, using the machine gun this time.

Gameplay 5/10
The scoring system here was very promising. You can rack up chains of kills to increase your score, and pretty much every level has you fighting off waves of enemies or destroying all of them in the level, so none of those silly objectives to worry about. However, it doesnít pan out very well. Either the levels are too big, or thereís not enough enemies. Either way, you can go a while without seeing any enemies, and since you run so slow, this is rather boring. The environment is pretty much the same for every level, so thereís nothing interesting about that, either.

The strategy is taking out massive amounts of bugs without pausing to reload or to wipe splattered blood off of you, which takes up time. But you can usually take out a whole wave without reloading, and you can usually do it from a distance where you wonít get splattered with bug blood, which hurts you if it stays on you for too long.

So, the gameplay would be great, as itís a fantastic concept, but it doesnít pan out well due to lack of things to shoot and do.

Bug blood on the screen.

Controls 10/10
These are great. They are the only reason to play this game, but unfortunately, they arenít enough on their own. Switching weapons, aiming, and moving has never been easier, and to dodge in a direction, you just tap that direction twice on the joystick. Also wiping blood or wielding a devastating whip are incredibly easy. There are some collision detection issues with the dodging, but itís a problem with collision detection, not the controls themselves.

Sound 3/10
Just terrible. Repetitive, and terrible. I donít even really want to get into it.

Replay Value 4/10
As far as replaying the single player, thereís multiple weapon upgrades you can unlock, most on higher difficulty levels I assume, although I beat the game just fine without most of them. And of course, you can always shoot for high scores.

Multiplayer ?/10
I canít really rate this, because I had a hard time finding a multiplayer match online. But apparently, you can have competitive matches where up to four people play one of the levels and compete for the high score, or you can basically do the same thing but work together for a good score. So basically, you can play the same levels as single player, but with other people. Cool, I guess.

I played online with one person (only one other player was found, but there's room for four) and he basically started before me, took off, killed everything, and all I could do was run behind him and watch. Not exciting.

What Makes This Game Great
The controls, and the scoring concept for an FPS.

What Could Make This Game Better
The story either needs to drop the narrative altogether, or get more fleshed out. You have these squadmates, and you can give them orders, but I pretty much never saw them in the game.

Also, you have four main weapons: shotgun, rifle, machine gun, and rocket launcher. I beat the entire game using the machine gun. Thereís really no strategy needed. Thereís ammo drops, but they just refill the weapon you have out at the moment, so you donít even really need to worry about conserving specific ammo types, either. And since all the aliens have weak spots, spraying them down with the machine gun will usually land you a good hit and theyíre gone. So you have four weapons, but thereís no real reason for it other than variety, as far as I can tell.

Also, you basically fight four alien bug types, and as you progress, they just changes colors and get bigger and take more hits. Once you beat one and know its weak point, which is a big green spot on their bodies, youíre pretty much set.

You play through the same environments populated with the same bugs over and over again. We need variety.

The Bottom Line 4/10
Itís cool to play for a while, but then itíll basically just sit there on your Wiiís hard drive, taunting you for spending so much on it. The game had promise, but it didnít come through on it.
Published by
Not on the review team
op89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the roughop89x is a jewel in the rough
Sponsored Links
By DarkLegacy on 08-21-2009, 04:28 PM
Nice review Opie, keep up the good work!
By op89x on 08-21-2009, 04:44 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
50%50%50%
Storyline
40%40%40%
Controls/Gameplay
100%100%100%
Sound
30%30%30%
Average 55%
Thanks. I would have added more pictures, but searching for them started to depress me.
By DarkLegacy on 08-21-2009, 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by op89x View Post
Thanks. I would have added more pictures, but searching for them started to depress me.
A gameplay video might of been nice.
By op89x on 08-21-2009, 05:19 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
50%50%50%
Storyline
40%40%40%
Controls/Gameplay
100%100%100%
Sound
30%30%30%
Average 55%
I keep videos out of my reviews. People tend to pay more attention to them than the actual review, and that defeats the whole purpose. Videos are for previews, not reviews.
By AlloftheAbove on 08-21-2009, 06:30 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
60%60%60%
Storyline
40%40%40%
Controls/Gameplay
95%95%95%
Sound
40%40%40%
Average 59%
If only I read this review before buying the game...
After the first 5 minutes of playing, I was left feeling robbed of my Nintendo Points Card.
I was actually going to create a review for this game, but I guess you beat me to it.
By op89x on 08-21-2009, 06:49 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
50%50%50%
Storyline
40%40%40%
Controls/Gameplay
100%100%100%
Sound
30%30%30%
Average 55%
You can still make one.
By AlloftheAbove on 08-21-2009, 11:28 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
60%60%60%
Storyline
40%40%40%
Controls/Gameplay
95%95%95%
Sound
40%40%40%
Average 59%
Yeah, but I won't bother trying to out-review you. It's a futile attempt.
Great review, though.
Comment