Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > General Forum > Media Entertainment > Movie Reviews

Notices

Movie Reviews Post your movie reviews here.

Closed Review

Review Tools
Ponyo review
Ponyo review
a Beef review
Published by da Beef
08-23-2009
Author review
Movie Rating
80%80%80%
Average 80%
Ponyo review

Gake no Ue no Ponyo (Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea) - 2008

Directed by Hayao Miyazaki

Many have called this a "lesser" work of the master. I prefer "familiar;" Miyazaki's staples are everywhere, such as child protagonists and some light environmental messages (though his signature motif, flight, is notably absent). So Ponyo is pretty much business as usual with Studio Ghibli - business as usual with one of the most consistently creative and charming film studios in the world. Expect beautiful animation (here traditionally hand-drawn), endless expression, and a highly imaginative whimsical romp through the glowing eyes of youth.

Some will find the story simplistic and pointless, but those with an eye for nuance will see Miyazaki's gift for situation and presence on par with his masterful My Neighbor Totoro. I responded best to scenes reminiscent of my own childhood (and others of theirs I'm sure), for instance the respective feather-ruffling of parents or the excitement of exploring a new friend's home. Both were nostalgic illustrations of particular instances I had long forgotten, and am now glad to remember. Because of this focus more still will miss the sweeping epicness of say Laputa or Mononoke, however they will also miss the point. This is thoroughly a family film, its themes paternal and its conflicts relative. See it with your family. Grab some kids and join their wide-eyed ranks for 90 minutes.

Sponsored Links
By da Beef on 08-23-2009, 09:33 PM
D:

come on guys this was a great movie
By Megas75 on 08-23-2009, 10:50 PM
I'll most likely watch this movie, Myazaki's works have always been interesting
By Cabin9 on 08-24-2009, 12:51 AM
^The voice on the main character was played by miley cyrus's (hannah montanna) sister =)
Good review
By da Beef on 08-28-2009, 05:37 PM
i hope everyone sees this film while it's still in theaters; it's wonderful on a big screen
By Rin on 08-28-2009, 05:43 PM
I'm going to definitely check it out when I can. I just hope it's sooner rather than later.
By Mike16r on 08-29-2009, 05:57 PM
I think this movie was good. Ponyo looks similar to Mei from My Neighbor Totoro.
By da Beef on 08-29-2009, 05:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike16r View Post
I think this movie was good. Ponyo looks similar to Mei from My Neighbor Totoro.

i agree. Ponyo was cuter though
By Pokeman on 04-24-2010, 10:33 PM
Ponyo: She likes ham.
Closed Review