Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > General Forum > Media Entertainment > Movie Reviews

Notices

Movie Reviews Post your movie reviews here.

Closed Review

Review Tools
Inglourious Basterds review
a Beef review
Published by da Beef
08-26-2009
Author review
Movie Rating
70%70%70%
Average 70%

Inglourious Basterds (2009)

Directed by Quentin Tarantino

Inglourious Basterds is not a war film. Nor is it historical. Inglourious Basterds is a spaghetti western. Nazi-occupied France is no more than a canvas for Tarantino to scribble his colorful stories and characters. Sometimes the results are insultingly simple doodles, but more often than not they beautifully coalesce into cathartic assaults of aesthetics from the director's encyclopedic mind of movies. History be damned.

Because of this emulation I found the film decidedly more fun than QT's previous efforts. That distinct "movieness" is more present than ever, in large part due to a literally film-oriented plot. Cinema is is the McGuffin here, and there were some unsettlingly surreal moments, for me as a viewer, in which the camera paints the characters as audience members themselves.

Though too high-concept and stylized to resonate emotionally, the film left me pondering the deterrence and deception of not only war propaganda, but the figurehead-edness of modern media. During the climax when the film bravely barrages into alternate history (more so than before I mean), consider the alternative; the obvious fabrication is anything but.
Sponsored Links
By Rin on 08-26-2009, 01:35 PM
Excellent review. I'd expect nothing less from you though. Definitely was insightful and was very helpful for me to decide whether or not to see it.
By DarkLegacy on 08-26-2009, 03:36 PM
Nice review. Short and informative.
By da Beef on 08-28-2009, 01:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by †Rin† View Post
Excellent review. I'd expect nothing less from you though. Definitely was insightful and was very helpful for me to decide whether or not to see it.

so which did you decide?

and thanks Darklegacy, that's what i go for in my reviews
By Rin on 08-28-2009, 01:23 AM
I'm going to go see it when I go to visit my mother in a week or so. She wants to see it too.
By da Beef on 08-28-2009, 01:23 AM
good to hear
Closed Review