Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Other Reviews

Notices

Other Reviews Playstation, Xbox, PC, or any other console game Review. Also console reviews too

Comment

Review Tools
Lost Review The Simpsons Game
lostleader
Published by lostleader
09-17-2009
Author review
Graphics
80%80%80%
Storyline
100%100%100%
Controls/Gameplay
60%60%60%
Sound
80%80%80%
Average 80%

The Simpsons is regard has the best series of all time, and Iím totally not being biased about that. But when it comes to gaming they are the millhouse of the gaming world thatís for sure. Awkward, annoying, and look dorky in glasses, that only a mother, or a rabid fan could love. So the thought of another Simpsons game doesnít seem like a good idea, but with the help of actual writers from the Simpsons, this game may actually deliver a awesome look at the satirical world of gaming, through the Simpsons point of view.

The story starts out with the Simpsons, like always, watching TV (probably some Hollywood hogwash). We soon see Homer falling asleep and dreaming of the land of chocolate. This acts as the tutorial level, insulting you along the way about your skills and how you canít even perform a double jump and other controls it teaches you. Soon by completing the level we are treated to Homer, yet again cursing the Heavens about not being able to turn into a giant blob that can eat anything.(donít we all wish for that?) As the story picks up we see the Simpsons gain powers through an instruction book Bart found.(plot device) They use said powers to benefit their own gain and (of course) it begins to ruin the town in which they now have to save. Not to mention making fun of video games along the way.
What is truly great about this game is the fact that it never stops to poke fun at itself, and other genres of video games, or even characters themselves. Gamers will be laughing at how many references there are to other games, and Simpsons fans will laugh at all the references to the series itself. The story binds two things that couldnít seem to work, Simpsons and Video games, and manages to pull them together with satirical humor. The story feels on par or even above par to that of the Simpson show, in its good years (seasons 3-9, for you people that donít know). It never stops to make you laugh at what itís doing, and itís a good thing too, because for the Simpsons Story is everything.

But like most deals with the devil there is a catch. The Simpsons game traded quality gameplay for quality writing. But by no means is the gameplay horrible or unbearable. In fact its not, its just average, in fact everything is taken from other more successful games (or not successful games) and put into this game, but its more over to lampoon them then be played half the time. Thatís the thing with this game, its all flash and no substance; all the worlds fill rather hollow and generic. The Enemies feel the same way. If it wasnít for the writing I wouldnít be able to get through it. But in this way it fills fitting. I know it sounds weird but everything seems to have a purpose to why its there, and itís so it can be made fun of, such as respawning enemies, collecting items, and power-ups. Which in any other game, would be mediocre at best. The AI isnít the brightest either, you will be doing most of the work (unless, and I recommended it, you are doing co-op play through), but the computer sometimes gets stuck on walls and platforms. Enemy AI isnít much better.

However despite the rather generic feel to all the levels they are all at least different and offer a different variety of elements, travelling to such places as japanimation land, Neverquest (land full of dudgeons with dragons), and grand theft scratchy land, which is not a parody of the Grand theft Auto series. On top of the variety of levels we also get interesting bosses either parody of games or from the show itself, like the bullies, king snorky, donkey kong like ape thingy, and Shakespeare?!? All the bosses have interesting ways to battle them, from fighting invaders (from space) to beating the pants off Benjamin Franklin, its always worth going through the levels just to face the odd bosses this game throws at you.

The Sound is true to the Simpsons, and the music blends well with the background, sometimes too well. Sometimes I found myself wondering were the music was or if it even existed, overall all the sound effects and voice acting you couldnít tell. Really the music is played down hugely, and generic most of the time. But what really is the star here is the voice acting, all the original voice actors are all here. Dan Callestina (Homer), Nacey Cartwright (Bart), and the rest(which names I canít remember or spell correctly) all here to provide quality Simpsons voices or annoying grunts, instead of prerecord voices from the show. Which gives this game a fresh feel to itís otherwise dull world that has a personality of a potato. Although this game does throw out way to many one liners, ďI hope I get to meet Zelda! ZELDA!!!Ē can only be heard for so long till you want to kill someone.

All in All, this is the Simpsons we all know and love from the show. It presents itself in a 3D rendering of the showís town. Although most of the background and environment are hollow, the characters themselves are filled and do well in the gaming world, which help make up for it. The cut scenes look like they came out of the show, or rather the movie, which give the feeling of watching the show rather then a scene in a game, and even if it is in 3D its show in a 2D like scene. The Story is given a strong sense of humor, and satire toward the gaming industry, that makes the game more of a episode then a game. Which make it more of an interactive episode then it is a game.

In the end, The Simpsons game is trying to be two things at once, when in reality it be better has one of them. This game would be better off as a special or an episode then a game. Sure the story, voice acting, and humor are great, but thatís qualities of a show, not a game. When you strip what makes this part of the Simpsons, you get something thatís rather mediocre and bland. But the story is worth seeing, so see those anyway you can (anywayÖ.youÖcan). But this game is really just for the fans, those that arenít dedicated should rent it or borrow from a friend at best.
Published by
無くなったりだ
lostleader is a jewel in the roughlostleader is a jewel in the roughlostleader is a jewel in the rough
Sponsored Links
By da Beef on 09-21-2009, 09:19 AM
Quote:
"This game would be better off as a special or an episode then a game. Sure the story, voice acting, and humor are great, but that’s qualities of a show, not a game.

that is a great point
By Rin on 09-21-2009, 02:40 PM
Your reviews are always in-depth and quite funny too. Nice.
By DarkLegacy on 09-21-2009, 02:43 PM
good review, you seem to be worthy of a place on the review team.
By Rin on 09-21-2009, 03:17 PM
Indeed. If she really wanted to, she could get a place.
By lostleader on 09-22-2009, 02:31 AM
Member reviews
Graphics
80%80%80%
Storyline
100%100%100%
Controls/Gameplay
60%60%60%
Sound
80%80%80%
Average 80%
Fun Fact: this was my latest review, in the summer of 2009.

Good review. I hope to see more in the future.
By da Beef on 09-22-2009, 03:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostleader View Post
Good review. I hope to see more in the future.

lol i like you
By Rin on 09-22-2009, 03:10 AM
I want more! Like...now?

:P
By gameaddict on 09-25-2009, 08:27 AM
Nice review. It's nice and easy to read, and a little bit funny at the same time.
Comment

Tags
review, the simpsons game