Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Classic Nintendo Reviews

Notices

Classic Nintendo Reviews Section for all Retro Nintendo Games for NES, SNES, Gamecube, Nintendo 64, Gameboy

Comment

Review Tools
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
Do You Prefer Paper or Plastic?
Published by Mario789
09-17-2009
Author review
Graphics
70%70%70%
Storyline
90%90%90%
Controls/Gameplay
50%50%50%
Sound
85%85%85%
Average 74%
Sm Mario Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

Alright, Hello everybody!!! This is my first real review on a video game. I want you to help me create ideas to build better reviews. I chose to do a paper Mario Game as a review first because it is really easy to review a game i am obsessed with.

Review By: Mario789
Date: September 17th 2009.
--------------
Game Information-

Release Date:
Japan: July 22, 2004
USA: October 11, 2004
Europe: November 12, 2004
Australia: November 18, 2004
---------------------------------------
Introduction: Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door

The thousand year door was a very unique game that was brought to the US after the very popular game Paper Mario N64. This game had many things/elements that Paper Mario N64 did not have. In Paper Mario TTYD (The Thousand year Door) you come across treasure chests that grant you a "curse" to be able to change your form into a paper model/design. One thing these to games did have in common was very similar Intermissions (Miniature level in between chapter's) They are usually a cut sceen followed by a quest..

-----------------------------------
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door Review

I will first discuss the graphics in TTYD to you. I will also mention the reasons why i chose some of the ranks i gave.

Graphics:
Paper Mario: TTYD in my opinion was a hard game to judge by it's graphics. They purposly tried to give it it's own older stlye but yet new stlye. So i had dificulties trying to determine what graphics would be like. Paper Mario TTYD used very simple 2D Graphics throught most of the game. This was like this untill the game Super Paper Mario. Almost none of the objects in Paper Mario TTYD had 3D ike graphics. But this was intensual for having paper as the main focus in graphics. As for character design i thought it was fairly good. It had great color and nothing was pixalated to any certain degree. They also used cool effects for the Pipe, for example the screen would pan out then swirl as a peice of paper as it tends to crumble and unfold. I personally liked the idea for this little paper effect. Well in the long run it was hard to rate but i gave it a solid 7.0

[img] http://cubemedia.gamespy.com/cube/im...7022823102.jpg [/img]

Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door Sound And Music:

In my opinion Paper Mario TTYD had some of the best music i have ever listened to. I really don't have anything to complain about. They had some great tracks. Even the Main Menue theme was great. As for battle sounds i think they could have made the fans in the audiance cooler sounding. And i think it was cool how they made a little fill of music when ever you got a Styleish move. I will not tell to much about the music as some may be a spoiler to others. I will be talkking more about the effect sounds like jump, walking, voice, letter scrolls. I think they could have added a little bit more of voice in the game. The only sounds really mentioned by mario in the game was something like "Ohh Yeah", "Mhm", "Ohh", "Oh Yes", "Aht ah" although these covered the most basic voice i think they could have done much more with it. As for game effects i like how they used sounds for rumbling and zaps of lightning, this made the game more realistic to me. And now to discuss the speech bubbles. The sound was fine. It doesnt need a sound but i think its better when there is a sound of the character's pich of voice for when there is a chat bubble. With all this said i give this a 8.5 - 9.0 it was hard to give a solid rating.

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door Storyline:

This game had a awesome story line i think!!!! There was so much suspense in the games that it was un bearable. The way they put in those little puzzles that made you think was just awesome!!! Without these puzzles the game would be way to easy. They used puzzles like hidden items, un-rechable buttons/swiches and much more. I really have nothing to say except a awesome storyline!!! The chapter were all incredible and the bosses had so much intersting tricks and powers. So with this said i give the storyline a solid 9.0

Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door Controls:

In my opinion i think the controls can be alot better. They seem to simple. Really all you need is to know how to jump use your hammer and walk. And of course now your partners abbilities. The paper Effects are very simial to the partner effects. So there is not so much you have to remember. But the thing i liked about control's was it also wasn't so hard to navigate. Simple controls can be bad or good. But i really didn't mind. Control's arent that big of a deal to me. But to other's i'm sure it has inpact on you all.
-------------------------------------

Well with this all said i hope you enjoy/enjoyed Paper mario The Thousand Year Door!!!! Please if you have and questions or comment just reply below.
~Mario789
Published by
Paper Mario Guru
Mario789 is a jewel in the roughMario789 is a jewel in the roughMario789 is a jewel in the roughMario789 is a jewel in the rough
Sponsored Links
By Rin on 09-17-2009, 07:36 PM
I figured you'd blast 10's out everywhere. Nice to see it otherwise. Not a bad review.
By Mario789 on 09-17-2009, 07:40 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
70%70%70%
Storyline
90%90%90%
Controls/Gameplay
50%50%50%
Sound
85%85%85%
Average 74%
I didn't rate 10 on anything. And even if i did there would be nothing wrong with that.
By Rin on 09-17-2009, 07:42 PM
I know that, I just said that.

There wold be to me. 10 would signify that it was perfect. Nothing is perfect.
By Mario789 on 09-17-2009, 07:44 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
70%70%70%
Storyline
90%90%90%
Controls/Gameplay
50%50%50%
Sound
85%85%85%
Average 74%
Yes, i agree. Thats why i rated my favorite part 9.0 lol. And i'm glad you liked the review.
By Rin on 09-17-2009, 07:48 PM
Lol alright then. Yeah, it was decent for a first one on here...I think.
By ~Krystal~ on 09-17-2009, 07:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by †Rin† View Post
I know that, I just said that.

There wold be to me. 10 would signify that it was perfect. Nothing is perfect.
SotN begs to differ....but that's for another review.

I'm shocked you didn't hand out 10s like candy myself. I knew you were a big Mario fan, but I never thought you'd be an objective one. Good to see.
By Mario789 on 09-17-2009, 07:53 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
70%70%70%
Storyline
90%90%90%
Controls/Gameplay
50%50%50%
Sound
85%85%85%
Average 74%
Yes, as much as i love paper mario i have to rate it as all the others will. I hope you liked the review.
By Rin on 09-17-2009, 07:53 PM
I've never played SotN. Even if I had, I wouldn't give it a 10. I wouldn't give SMB3 or SMW a 10 either, nor would I give Super Metroid one. I'm never going to give something a perfect score :l

Not a game anyways.
By Mario789 on 09-17-2009, 07:56 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
70%70%70%
Storyline
90%90%90%
Controls/Gameplay
50%50%50%
Sound
85%85%85%
Average 74%
I can give music a 10 alot but this is for paper mario TTYD. Back to topic & about mai review.
Comment