Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Classic Nintendo Reviews

Notices

Classic Nintendo Reviews Section for all Retro Nintendo Games for NES, SNES, Gamecube, Nintendo 64, Gameboy

Comment

Review Tools
Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Country
A great Snes Platformer
Published by Cam3ron36@NFF
09-17-2009
Author review
Graphics
100%100%100%
Storyline
70%70%70%
Controls/Gameplay
80%80%80%
Sound
75%75%75%
Average 81%
Donkey Kong Country

DONKEY KONG COUNTRY
a Review by Cam3ron36

Developer: Rare

Producer: Nintendo

Platform: Super Nintendo

Players: 1 or 2 in competitive or teamwork.

Okay.
Time to talk Donkey kong country, one of the fan favourites for the SNES.

The Story: Donkey kong country is about making it through 39 different levels to collect DK's stolen banannas, and who stole them, you ask? Well, none other than the badass king K.Rool, out to ruin the kongs lives as that is what the entire series is about, this battle with king K.Rool.

Like any adventure/platformer, the levels proggressively get harder, but, not too hard by any means. So, the levels you go through are through different landscapes, such as, forests, inrustry buildings, jungles, winter mountains, caves, underwater and deserts. I could not say I like anything more than the treetop levels, Best music, best level, just plain fun.

The game also used someting that had never been used before, it used the abillity to shoot yourself through barrels, self shooting barrels & manual shooting barrels, as shown in the above video. Intiring to new users maybe, but In my opinion, so fun
Donkey kong country also contained some innovative neat idea, such as mine cart rides. Two, stationed throughout the game, Underwater levels, bonus games and bonus, bonus games using your critter friends if you get three gold statues of the certain animal, you play a bonus game using them to collect mini statues over an alotted time period.
The controls were basic otherwise and each kong had their own special abillities somewhat different from each others silly moves.
Diddy could cartwheel through tons of enemies where as DK could only roll once, He could also kill some bigger enemies Diddy could not just because of his weight.

Throughout Donkey kong country, there is bosses througout each world, 6 worlds, 7 bosses. There is also an extra end boss, again like any other typical sidescroller, this boss is none other than the cryptic, deranged king K.Rool. Other bosses include two fights against a beaver, two fights against "Necky the Flamingo," a fight against some sort of giant can and a fight against a killer bee.

Video note: ugh, I still remembered beating this the first time, I thought that was the actual ending... boy was I wrong... I don't think I've ever seen that before in a game.

The game also had a 2 player mode, it was like super mario world, but you could either choose to take control of one kong each or dk and diddy in seperate colors, in this mode, you compete to see who can finish first, get the highest percentage... however you want to keep score, it's all up to you and whatever person is playing with you.

Well... We've talked about the game, It was very well received, it outsold every game but super mario world. The graphics were one of the games best features, I know, the graphics don't matter, but, at it's time, no snes game had had this great of graphics. It was a real treat for the audience.

Now, Let's talk sound, like usual, I'll just give my opinion and give two examples.
Like any nintendo game, they came up with good great, innovative music and... it suits the game well.

Overall, this game really distinquished itself on the snes and it really became the head competitor against sonic, It is definitely worth checking out, it's 800 points, it's your choice, hope you enjoyed the review.

Please rate and comment

Thanks for reading
Published by
NHL Fanatic
Cam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud of
Sponsored Links
By op89x on 09-17-2009, 10:31 PM
Fixed your title, but your synopsis and byline were so wrong I decided to ignore them. But the title, she's correct now.
By Mario789 on 09-17-2009, 10:45 PM
Nice Review Man. I Loved DKC.
By Cam3ron36@NFF on 09-17-2009, 10:54 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
100%100%100%
Storyline
70%70%70%
Controls/Gameplay
80%80%80%
Sound
75%75%75%
Average 81%
Thanks, fixed, what was wrong with the title, did I mispell something

thanks Mario789
By Rin on 09-17-2009, 10:56 PM
Nice review overall, though it's a bit lacking I think. Ah well.
By op89x on 09-17-2009, 10:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam3ronNFF View Post
Thanks, fixed, what was wrong with the title, did I mispell something

thanks Mario789
lol, just two of the three words. Left some letters off.
By Mario789 on 09-17-2009, 10:56 PM
No problem buddy. Are we allowed to have spoilers in are reviews? If so it will be alot easier.
By op89x on 09-17-2009, 10:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario789 View Post
No problem buddy. Are we allowed to have spoilers in are reviews? If so it will be alot easier.
You can have whatever you want in your reviews, but if you spoil a lot of things, no one will want to read your stuff. Was it you who ruined Super Paper Mario for me? Now that I think of it, it may have been.
By Cam3ron36@NFF on 09-17-2009, 11:00 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
100%100%100%
Storyline
70%70%70%
Controls/Gameplay
80%80%80%
Sound
75%75%75%
Average 81%
my computer was real slow near the beginning because I had scans running and 4 tabs open, it's been known to be unresponsive...
I ran out of time at the end so I didn't have time for a spell check either

I'll have to come back to this and explain 2 player and such.
By Mario789 on 09-17-2009, 11:00 PM
Opps... Yeah when i was a newb here... Tht was me lol. (sorry) just like stuff like final boss battles. Is that okay?
Comment