Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Classic Nintendo Reviews

Notices

Classic Nintendo Reviews Section for all Retro Nintendo Games for NES, SNES, Gamecube, Nintendo 64, Gameboy

Comment

Review Tools
City Connection
City Connection
An intuitive arcade/NES experience
Published by Cam3ron36@NFF
09-18-2009
Author review
Graphics
65%65%65%
Storyline
35%35%35%
Controls/Gameplay
95%95%95%
Sound
80%80%80%
Average 69%
City Connection

City Connection
a review by Cam3ron36

Developer: Jaleco

Publishers: Jaleco & Kitcorp

Platform: NES

Players: 1 or 2

Released: 1985

Well well well... looks like this is my first NES review
Let's get down to buisness here with an arcade port: "City Connection."

Story: City Connection was developed as an arcade game to be also immidiately ported to the NES and the MSX in 1985. city Connection was Re-released on the wii virtual console on May 26th, 2008 for a cost of 500 wii points.

The basic idea of the game was that you were taking control of a celebrity that was painting the roads in major cities around the world to show he'd been there(Awkward? I suppose.) Anyways, you go through about 8 different stages I could not name and paint the roads, gather gas cans and shoot cops with the gas cans(lol, okay that made me laugh thinking about it ). You get different road paters in which there is the ground road which always is just there without holes in it(Thank sweet goodness there is no way to fall off the map). You also have altered above floors which there is always about 3 above the ground road.

You're obstacles in the game include Cops which can be shot with gas cans if you have any, the other two obstacles are cats holding an orange checkered flag for some reason. The last and final obstacle are road spikes, for some out of this world reason, there twice as tall as your car(and your car is pretty dang tall itself,) they only apear on rare occasions when you turn around too much. The cats and spikes can not be shot with the mini gas cans you find lying all over the place.
The most common thing to do to avoid these obstacles is to simply jump over them. There are two different jumps, one to do a low jump, and one to jump up a floor using the up button along with the jump button, the same goes for speeding up. You press in the direction you are going.

Asides from the story and environment, the game is surprisingly fun and I've always had it on my nes, of course now, I had to buy it on the virtual console.
My beefs with it are of course the weir environment, and the graphics are just a little over nes standards and the music can get annoying sometimes.
The game does get progressively harder with the police cars changing and they get faster and sometimes show up going the opposite direction, little time to act on that one
There are balloons that apear randomly and if you get 3, you warp through three levels, if you get three more, you warp three levels back. It's about score since it is an arcade style game so you kind of want to stay on the easier levels.

As you can see, the game is different in the arcade, but there is cliffs and the levels are altered.

Well... about the sound... there is only two songs that alternate for level to level, enjoy.

This is the only soundtrack I could find, it features the menu theme and the two tedious songs.

Overall. It's a great game for quick pick-up-and-play arcade style, it is confusing to those new to it at first... that's not to say you shouldn't try it, it is available on the Virtual console as said above.

Thankyou for reading

Please comment if you feel the need.
Published by
NHL Fanatic
Cam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud of
Sponsored Links
By Rin on 09-18-2009, 09:12 PM
Interesting review of a game that I never really cared about. Still alright though :P
By op89x on 09-18-2009, 09:14 PM
Rin, you didn't even have time to read this before you commented on it. I literally just approved it.
By Mario789 on 09-18-2009, 09:16 PM
Lol, op is right. Very good detail on the story there buddy.
By da Beef on 09-18-2009, 09:16 PM
ok so, you lied. this is not longer than Pity's review; the text is just bigger
By Rin on 09-18-2009, 09:17 PM
It was up 3 minutes ago. I read fast, so I kind of did actually.
By Cam3ron36@NFF on 09-18-2009, 09:20 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
65%65%65%
Storyline
35%35%35%
Controls/Gameplay
95%95%95%
Sound
80%80%80%
Average 69%
well, it had looked longer at frist glance when I was making it... whatever. my point stands valid... more of my opinion I suppose, but for a really long N64 rpg, it should be longer, his decision though.

But beef, you seem in a terrible mood at the moment and I do not wish to get in an argument so please don't try, okay?
By da Beef on 09-18-2009, 09:22 PM
moooo
By Cam3ron36@NFF on 09-18-2009, 09:23 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
65%65%65%
Storyline
35%35%35%
Controls/Gameplay
95%95%95%
Sound
80%80%80%