Nintendo Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Nintendo Retro Consoles > Super Nintendo

Notices

Super Nintendo Super Nintendo section post here!

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 02:46 PM   #1
lkermel
Points: 126, Level: 2 Points: 126, Level: 2 Points: 126, Level: 2

lkermel is an unknown quantity at this point

My Super Nintendo reviews

Hi everyone,

I love my Super Nintendo (and Super Famicom) and I would like to share with you the 150+ reviews I have written over the years. The link is in my signature, please let me know what you think
Old 09-24-2009, 02:48 PM   #2
Cam3ron36@NFF
NHL Fanatic
Points: 31,321, Level: 100 Points: 31,321, Level: 100 Points: 31,321, Level: 100
User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Blue Chaos Emerald User owns 3x Nintendo 64 Controller User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Bullet Bill User owns 1x Yellow Pikmin User owns 1x Fighter

My Mood: Gaming
Cam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud of

Awards Showcase
Level 100 Award NFF Old Man Award Royalty Monster Poster Review of the Month Review of the Month Poster Game Reviewer 
Total Awards: 8

Send a message via Skype™ to Cam3ron36@NFF Xbox Live Gamertag: cam3ron36
post them here one by one, advertising is not allowed.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:08 PM   #3
lkermel

ooops, sorry... is there any game in particular you'd like to read review for ? I could copy all of them here but that'd be a reallllly long post ... but if sharing these reviews here is not allowed, I can remove the thread...
Old 09-24-2009, 03:14 PM   #4
da Beef
Banned

da Beef will become famous soon enoughda Beef will become famous soon enough

Awards Showcase
Poster 
Total Awards: 1

just post your favorite ones, or whichever you think are your best, in the review section
Old 09-24-2009, 05:01 PM   #5
lkermel

I think I'll add them here as it'll be a lot of work for me to create single pages in the review section. Here're the latest games I have tested for the Super Famicom
Old 09-24-2009, 05:03 PM   #6
lkermel

A****a No Joe

Story A.Takamori
O.Picture Y.Chiba
©1992 K.Amusement Leasing Co.
Cartridge SHVC-AJ
Boxing game

A****a No Joe is a boxing game published by K Amusement and released in 1992. The game is based on a Japanese Manga popular in the 1970s and also known in the west as Tomorrow's Joe. The player takes the role of Joe Yabuki and must fight his way through an intense boxing tournament. Seven opponents stand between him and victory and each pro-boxer is tougher to beat than the last. Two buttons are used throughout the game - one throws basic straight punches and directional button combinations allows Joe to use uppercuts and hooks. The second button puts Joe in guard and lets him block attacks. Life bars on top of the screen display the players current status and the winner is decided through Knock Out on the third fall. A two-player mode is available.

Pov : 2/5
A****a No Joe is an average boxing game and leaves much to be desired. Controls are annoyingly simple and the game quickly becomes really tough to beat. Button bashing can get you through the first couple of opponents but things become way too tedious passed the third match. So fans of the series may find something to like here but it just didn't seem like anything spectacular to me.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:04 PM   #7
lkermel

G.O.D

©1996 Imagineer Co.Ltd
©Third Stage
©Egawa Tatsuya
©Music Chase
Cartridge SHVC-AGDJ-JPN
Role Playing Game

GOD (aka Growth or Devolution) is a role playing game by Imagineer. The game starts in 1999 and tells the story of Gen, a young boy who goes biking to the nearby mountains. After being bullied by a group of boys, he finally reaches the top of the mountain. There he discovers a cave and a strange device - but soon weird flying saucers fill up the sky and annihilate the city in front of his very eyes. A tremendous flash of light cuts across the sky and Gen collapses, unconscious. He then wakes up ten years later, in 2009, in a military base near his destroyed hometown. The outside world has dramatically changed and Gen will travel throughout the world and uncover the secret of the alien invasion. New friends will help him on the journey, the first one is the old swordmaster Bajile who is soon followed by Bajile, Mina and Ai. GOD follows a traditional role-playing recipe based around exploration and turn-based combat. Enemy encounters are menu-driven and feature a "behind-the-character" view of the action. Our heroes can use their main weapons, activate items, cast magic spells and, later in the game, even use special psychic abilities.

Pov : 4/5

For some reason I really enjoyed playing GOD. The beginning of the game instantly reminded me of the atypical Mother II - the boy, the red cap and the aliens. Even Gen's home has a feeling of 'déjà vu'. But GOD soon features his own unique spins and ideas. The game's difficulty level is quite low and you will breeze though almost any enemy encounter. I personally don't mind that. This makes the random combats required for leveling up not as annoying as usual. In term of graphics, GOD is a great looking game - clear sprites and some locations look incredible with a fair use of transparency and scaling effects. Some enemy designs are a bit cheap though (what are giant smileys doing in a forest ?) but they're overall correct. Finally the soundtrack has a nice variety of style and nice melodies - some are a bit short and repetitive though. Non Japanese speaking players may get stuck in places and the 'try and error' and 'talk to everyone' techniques may help them out, but enjoying the game without some knowledge of Japanese may be possible. All in all, a charismatic and solid RPG for the Super Famicom that needs more recogniton!
Old 09-24-2009, 05:06 PM   #8
lkermel

GOOFY TO MAX

©The Walt Disney Company
Produced by Capcom Co.,Ltd. 1994
Cartridge SHVC-G6
Action/Puzzle

Goofy To Max (aka Goof Troop in the west) is a top-down action/puzzle game by Capcom. Goofy and his pals are taking a fishing day out at sea when a giant pirate ship soon catches up with them. Pete and his son PJ (Pete Junior) are the first ones to witness the apparition and they get kidnapped by the pirates. Goofy and his son Max are now determined to rescue them and soon reach the pirate's island where the game takes place. Each zone is basically composed of various interconnected single-screen gamefields. The gameplay consists of traditional action with puzzle solving that somehow reminds of Zelda's trademark dungeons. Progression through the game is done by fulfilling a certain condition in each screen, like killing all the pirates by throwing blocks or pots at them, pushing blocks over marks on the ground, activating buttons in a specific order or finding the key that unlocks the exit door. Goofy (or Max) can pick and use an extensive list of items which are conceptually at the heart of the gameplay. The grappling hook gun can be used to stunt enemies, grab items from afar, activate switches, build rope bridges and so forth. The bell can be very useful to draw enemies close and attack them, and the shovel can dig up items or keys. Finally, the Candle is very handy to lit up those dark areas and the wooden plank can help fix broken bridges. And last but not least - two players can enjoy the game in co-operative play and a password system allows the player to save his progress.

Pov: 3/5

Goofy To Max is a game that provides a rich mixture of content and Capcom has thrown in enough incentives to keep it interesting and fun. These franchise games are usually not my thing - they are often poorly designed and only exist for the sole purpose of the franchise they sell. But the Capcom logo on the cover clearly indicates that this title is not your usual franchise game - it was made by a company that cares. And Goofy To Max is a fun game indeed. The attention to detail is stunning, the way how Goofy hurts his foot when hitting a block or the way how birds spin around pirates' heads when they get knocked down are constant reminders of why Capcom is such a great company. The gameplay is also excellent and elements from the game just keep re-inventing themselves as you progress through the stages. For instance some pirates just walk around at first, but soon they throw knives and barrels at you that you can catch in mid-air and throw back at them! I only have two small problems with this game - it is rather short (only five zones that you can easily complete in a couple of hours), then it was aimed at a young audience and can be a bit childish at times. But all in all, Goofy To Max is a unique and fun game.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:08 PM   #9
lkermel

MELFAND STORIES

©1994 ASCII Corporation
Cartridge SHVC-YZ
Fighting/action game

Melfand Stories is a side-scrolling beat'm up published by Ascii. The kingdom of Melfand is under siege by fearsome monsters . The evil Nomolwa and his subordinates usurped the power to rule over the country - its last hope lies in a group of four warriors and the desperate defenders embark on a quest to reclaim the kingdom from the usurpers. Each hero comes with his own personal melee weapon - El uses a sword, Corse a spear, Lenin a magic rod and Nora a leather whip. Our heroes can also collect magic spells along the way (from a list of four) and instantly use them against enemies - some blast lightning bolts while others unleash flying fire dragons. Interestingly, different paths are possible in the game and some stages actually branch out into secondary easier of harder routes, some even lead to bonus stages. The game also features a two-player co-op option.

Pov : 3/5
Melfand Stories is the kind of find I always praise, an obscure import game that manages to stir up curiosity and excitement. To be honest, I didn't know what to expect when I purchased it - the box/cover lead me to think this was another Role Playing game. But the truth was something entirely different. Here is a fun and colorful beat'm up. Nothing groundbreaking by any means, but any game this engaging definitively deserves attention. I think the only down side is the limited and simple (often slow) gameplay - moves are rather basic and their range is dramatically short. This makes Melfandd Stories a fun game for the youngest players among us, hardcore beat'm up veterans may breeze through it in no time and not enjoy a minute of it. I personnaly liked it and the different routes definitely add some replay value to the game. A simple and yet fun game.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:09 PM   #10
lkermel

PIPE DREAM

TM & ©1989 Lucasfilm Ltd
Original Game Design ©1988 Entertainment International UK Ltd.
Original Game created by The Assembly Line
Scenario Enhancements by Bullet-Proof Software.
Cartridge SHVC-PP
Puzzle game

Pipe Dream is a puzzle game by Bullet Proof Software based on a game originally released in 1989 and developped by The Assembly Line called Pipe Mania. The goal of the game is rather simple - the player takes the role of a plumber who must fix flooding and pipe issues throughout the city. In each stage, the player is given a random series of pipe pieces that must be connected to construct a path going from a start point to an exit point. Water starts rushing out after a certain time and the flow must pass through a given number of pipes without dripping water. Each stage becomes progressively more complex than the next and special tiles soon challenge the player in maddening ways - warps at the edge of the playfield, obstacles and so forth. This Super Famicom brings features of its own to the franchise though - most notably the points that are awarded to the player at the end of each stage to buy bonuses or the city-map that allows our blumper to pick alternate routes and explore different parts of the game. The game also supports a password feature to let the player resume at the beginning of each area, without forgetting the two-simultaneous player mode.

Pov: 3/5

Plumber? Pipes? The Pipe Mania franchise may be as old as Mario but no, we're not dealing here with Nintendo's all time classic. Pipe Dream features one of those simple game idea that made it through the years and still resonates today. This Super Famicom version is, I must say, fun to play. I has a good and solid gameplay with cute graphics and forgettable but suitable soundtrack. The game however really shines in the gameplay department and it becomes quickly addictive. Not everyone will share my opinion of the game though, but I found that Pipe Dream has this nice leaning curve that never frustrates or feels unfair. There's also enough features packed in there to keep players coming back for more. Nothing spectacular by any means but entertaining and fun none the less.
Closed Thread