Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Nintendo Wii Reviews

Notices

Nintendo Wii Reviews Section for all Nintendo Wii Game Reviews and Wiiware Reviews

Comment

Review Tools
Wii Sports Resort
Wii Sports Resort
Published by AlloftheAbove
09-27-2009
Author review
GraphicsN/A
StorylineN/A
Controls/GameplayN/A
SoundN/A
Average N/A%
Smilie Waluigi Wii Sports Resort

So, how do you go about following-up the highest selling videogame of all time? Well, these days, the rule of thumb is to give ‘em more of the same. The ‘bigger is better’ tactic works too. So why not give that a try? Now that Wii Sports is the best selling videogame of all time, there’s no doubt that Nintendo’s expecting great things from its recently released sequel, Wii Sports Resort. True to form, Nintendo have done it again, giving punters exactly what they’ve been waiting for. Where Wii Sports showed off the Wii’s innovative controls, Sports Resort has been designed to showcase the new Wii MotionPlus hardware add-on. In addition to adding an inch of length to your Wii Remote, it also improves performance, translating gestures and motions in a far more accurate manner.

On the game side of things, the number of activities has more than doubled, and most of them are completely new. Only the ever popular Bowling and Golf have returned in a far more polished form. Speaking of ‘polish,’ the visuals too are looking a bit crisper and have a little more shine to the original, and once again, your Miis take centre stage when playing through the many challenges.

This time around, all the action takes place on a colourful, tropical resort called “Wuhu Island.” The opening sequence has players jumping out of a plane and Skydiving over the resort, giving them a chance to check out the accuracy of the Wii MotionPlus. Every twist and turn of your wrist is relayed to your Mii, and the experience is a really nice taste of things to come. Once at the resort, you can jump straight into the action with twelve different activities to choose from, a far better collection than the paltry five sports that came with the original title.

The danger with any mini-game collection is that the activities cn be relatively hit-and-miss. Thankfully, Wii Sports Resort has far more hits than misses. In fact, if the activities suffer from something, it’ll be that the hits don’t go for long enough. So, what’s in the package? Well, we have 10 brand spanking new activities which are Swordplay, Wakeboarding, Frisbee, Archery, Basketball, Table Tennis, Power Cruising, Canoeing, Cycling and Air Sports – not to mention the two returning favourites, Bowling and Golf, which have been giving a MotionPlus revamp. As far as gameplay goes, most of the activities still have that pick-up and playability that made the original such a success. Anyone can play these games, from irritating siblings, to granny and grandpa… and they’ll have fun doing it too!

For me, the highlights of the new collection were the additions of Archery and Swordplay. Archery allows the players to use both the Wii Remote and Nunchuck to recreate gestures of stretching a bow and releasing an arrow. Add some crosswind and a competitive opponent and you’ve got yourself the makings of a true classic. As for swordplay, it’s a no-brainer, really. The motion of the sword feels so free and natural, especially when hacking away at the head of your opponent, trying to whack them off the edge of the arena, and into the ocean. There’s even an adventure-like game where you have to take on oncoming hordes of Miis and get your way to the Final Showdown.

Probably the weakest entry in the games is Cycling. I just don’t think it feels right. If people pedal with their legs, why am I using my wrists? It just feels awkward and unnatural. The other activities fared much better, and fans are sure to appreciate the real motion effect of twisting the Wii Remote to get the spinning effect on a bowling or table tennis ball. My only complaint (apart from Cycling) is that you have to buy more MotionPlus add-ons to play Multiplayer. It’s true that one comes bundled in the box, and it’s a blast to play by yourself, but the real essence is in Multiplayer, even if it means having to invest in a couple more add-ons.

Bottom Line: Buy it. Buy it now.

Published by
AlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond repute
Sponsored Links
By Mario on 09-27-2009, 09:04 AM
Great REVIEW AOTA. Can you use your regular Wii Remote for this game? I've been waiting for a review of this game.
By Cam3ron36@NFF on 09-27-2009, 10:59 AM
Good job dude, that motion + thing better come for free with games, it's stupid that they failed at motion controls before and now want money to improve it >: (

I would like to try this though.
By Konata on 09-27-2009, 11:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario View Post
Great REVIEW AOTA. Can you use your regular Wii Remote for this game? I've been waiting for a review of this game.
No you have to have Motion Plus, I burnt this and had to buy motion plus just to play it. Was a waste, it's just a few cheap games.
By Cam3ron36@NFF on 09-27-2009, 11:09 AM
okay, why nintendo? it reminds me of when the N64 expansion pack came out, at least that came free with games though.
By da Beef on 09-27-2009, 11:26 AM
i wanted to play the demo of this at the store but the wii remote's batteries were dead >_>
By Rin on 09-27-2009, 12:57 PM
Eh, not a bad review I suppose.

I'd get the game, but I didn't like the first one.
By Mario on 09-27-2009, 09:20 PM
Went to Best Buy today had 2 wii motion plus packages in my hand but at the last minute changed my mind and got mad that I had to pay 45.00 more for something that should already be in their remotes.

Edit: I did find them at Amazon.com for 16.98 Free Shipping and No tax.
By Cam3ron36@NFF on 09-27-2009, 09:21 PM
Exactly!
By Rin on 09-27-2009, 10:42 PM
They're milking the cash cow, obviously.
Comment