Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Classic Nintendo Reviews

Notices

Classic Nintendo Reviews Section for all Retro Nintendo Games for NES, SNES, Gamecube, Nintendo 64, Gameboy

Comment

Review Tools
Wolfenstein 3D
Wolfenstein 3D
Cam3ron36
Published by Cam3ron36@NFF
10-01-2009
Author review
Graphics
60%60%60%
Storyline
70%70%70%
Controls/Gameplay
80%80%80%
Sound
85%85%85%
Average 74%
Wolfenstein 3D

Wolfenstein 3D
Cam3ron36

Developer: ID Software
Publisher: Nintendo
Platform: Super Nintendo Vs. PC
Players: One

The Grand ol' Wolfenstein 3D!
Always hailed and loved... The Snes version often causes controversy... Read on...

The Story: Wolfenstein 3D, you know "Doom" Right? well this is where doom all started, through wolfenstein 3D, this game can now be found on Xbox live arcade and Playstation 3's online shop, But... There was a version of wolfenstein 3D released, one of the latest versions made... Often shunned out from the "Wolfenstein 3D" name by gamers and especially "ID Software." Why? Well it all started from Germany...

Wolfenstein 3D, Unlike Doom, was made before doom in a more realistic sense, rather than shooting zombies and aliens on "Phobos" & "Deimos" you're going back in a fictional history.
You take on the role of William B.J Blazkowicz, Going to infiltrate several castles full of Nazis in attempt to get information and seek out and destroy "Hitler." As you can probably plainly tell, this is why germany was ticked. They Banned Wolfenstein 3D and halted the coming shipment of wolfensteins on the "Atari Jaguar." Due to concerns at "Nintendo of America," they decided to go through and edit the game removing the nazi Icon(Swastika) and taking the mustache off the painting of hitler you see once in a while. They also bogged down the graphics to not cause any suspiscion amongst germans and released it with the "Stotmeister" as the main boss rather than hitler.
People did not like the change, and it's not bad by any means, but ID was not aware of the changes and were ticked when it came out the way that it was.

Did anyone else kind of sense them making fun of germans, I mean, the "Let's see That Again" on hitlers death... I don't know, but. Germans weren't too pleased, that is the PC version above. The one my dad used to play after work, now. My dad had set out to buy us a SNES in 1993 and someone from his work was willing to sell it for real cheap with about 20 games, you can guess where this is going, can you not? One of the games that I grew up with as a result was wolfenstein 3D on the SNES, look at the comparison. But it is still fun

That is what I grew up with...
As you can plainly see the graphics aren't very pleasing(but it is snes), and what the hell are those grey things!?!? They are mutant rats... like I've said before, what's wrong with German shepards for crying out loud, Giant Mutant Rats? Really? alright, so looking past that, it's not much different, the rats still have the same hit amounts as the dogs so, let's look past that.
Well, If I'm invading a castle, these guys no it's going to happen, why are they yelling "Stop" & "Halt"... I really doubt that would happen. Yeah okay, I'll stop... wait what! I stopped and they are still shooting me!
Looking past that
The last problem I have is the facial expressions on the bosses, I mean, look at the boss in the first level, (it's shown in the above video) that looks absolutely sadistic, his eyes are red dots and oh my gosh, bizarre.

Well, All my complaints are really on graphical things, the game is playable, and it's fun, dang fun! I could be going around shooting different colored blobs and it would still be the same, asides from looks, the game still rocks and should not be bagged on as much as it is, yeah, it seems very weird at points. What it comes down to is that it is one of the original FPS's, and whos to say mario isn't weird, I mean... let's not get into that

Throughought the game, you go through... excuse me, I've lost count, 7 different castles if I'm correct and about 50 levels. Pretty decent for SNES game, is it not? Although, the word is that the Pc version has ten episodes(including expansion packs) with ten castles, each with ten levels, but the core wolfenstein had 3 castles with 10 levels, that's right, the snes version did feature some levels from an expansion pack, but each castle had 3-7 missions rather than ten so they had to pick and choose their levels.
There were secrets in the game, oh believe me, there were a whole crapload of secrets. The secrets were always hidden in walls, you could travel against the walls and tap the "open door" button, and the wall would move backwards, usually presenting some special items, sometimes, it was maditory to find these.
You did not have to jus hit random walls all of the time though, normally, trap doors would be located where the paintings were, if there was a painting, that should be the first place you check.

We have talked enough about the graphics... bottomline, they're bogged down, but it's definitely playable. So let's talk sound.
I personally enjoy the music for the mos part, but it does get on my nerves eventually because there is only 4 or 5 songs, but it doesn't fail to suit the mood.

I'm pretty sure those 2 videos sum up all of the songs. I can't really say I have a favourite, because they are all pretty decent.

All of this is not to say the game didn't sell well, it sold a hefty amount of games, come on! people loved the PC wolfenstein 3D and they eagerly awaited this one so that they could play it on their SNES. Most people, were dissapointed.
I myself have beaten this game, about 4 times, it is not bad, and it is time consuming, Shortest time I ever beat it in was 4 hours.
So I'm not saying don't buy or try this. If you want the full experience. Buy the PC version, or any other version. If you want a quick skim through of the best levels, buy the snes version, Either way, it's a great game.

Thanks for reading,
Please comment if you feel the need
Published by
NHL Fanatic
Cam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud of
Sponsored Links
By da Beef on 10-07-2009, 04:37 AM
does this game have Mr. B.J. Smegma
By Cam3ron36@NFF on 10-07-2009, 08:01 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
60%60%60%
Storyline
70%70%70%
Controls/Gameplay
80%80%80%
Sound
85%85%85%
Average 74%
well, at least I know where to edit this now. if the PC ever works, I may just work on it slowly on the wii for now.
By Cam3ron36@NFF on 10-08-2009, 11:24 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
60%60%60%
Storyline
70%70%70%
Controls/Gameplay
80%80%80%
Sound
85%85%85%
Average 74%
Phew! Finished, yes I fixed my PC
Any comments? if so, PLEEEEAAASE don't be scared to post them
Enjoy
By da Beef on 10-09-2009, 05:02 PM
this is not a review. this is not opinion. you have written a very generic fact-based piece consisting of information i could have gotten from wikipedia

tell me what YOU think of the game, and why i should or shouldn't play it
By Cam3ron36@NFF on 10-09-2009, 08:19 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
60%60%60%
Storyline
70%70%70%
Controls/Gameplay
80%80%80%
Sound
85%85%85%
Average 74%
read paragraphs 4-6 for opinions, and 1-3 for the story.

Edit: Well, gave it some thought, I could discuss some person struggles and opinions on each castle, each boss and difficulty, is this what you mean?
Last edited by Cam3ron36@NFF; 10-09-2009 at 08:32 PM..
By da Beef on 10-16-2009, 12:39 PM
here's my advice

review a game (not this one, maybe your next review or a future one) without rating or going into specific detail about the graphics, storyline, controls/gameplay, and sound. rather focus on the games' ideas, rules, and your contextual emotional response to these
By Ninjatiamat on 11-10-2009, 03:55 PM
You should add a paragraph stating your complete opinion of the game. What was done well? What could have been done better? Still, it's a good review, but it just needs some more content.

Also, I enjoyed the personal anecdotes in your Perfect Dark review. If you have any amusing ones for Wolfenstein, that would be great.
By Cam3ron36@NFF on 11-10-2009, 06:37 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
60%60%60%
Storyline
70%70%70%
Controls/Gameplay
80%80%80%
Sound
85%85%85%
Average 74%
Not really, I threw in some comedy about the rats and the english. Can't really add much to this review now, I may try in the future though.
Comment