Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Classic Nintendo Reviews

Notices

Classic Nintendo Reviews Section for all Retro Nintendo Games for NES, SNES, Gamecube, Nintendo 64, Gameboy

Comment

Review Tools
Perfect Dark
Perfect Dark
Cam3ron36
Published by Cam3ron36@NFF
10-30-2009
Author review
Graphics
95%95%95%
Storyline
95%95%95%
Controls/Gameplay
95%95%95%
Sound
95%95%95%
Average 95%
Star Man Perfect Dark

Perfect Dark

Developer: Rare
Publisher: Rare & Nintendo
Platforms: N64 & XBLA
Players: 1 to 4 Players
Rated "M" for Mature
Okay... Here we go! Perfect dark; The best dang shooter ever!
Read on...
Lets Begin Here; Perfect Dark was released to continue the "Rare Shooter" name that was made throughout Goldeneye, made almost 4 years before "Perfect Dark".
I have not played "Goldeneye" in years, I have barely any recolection of it, But I have gone back and looked at vidoes, Goldeneye used the same engine as Perfect dark, So, Rare was just cashing in on a popular game... and a dang fine job they did.
Perfect Dark is my most played game throughout the course of my life probably logging 1000+ hours into it, if that doesn't say something, I don't know what will...
My Brother & I always used to rent this game, he was pretty humorous about it. He actually knew like the first 10 levels dialoque word for word... I am not joking. We played this game a lot, and come 2001, it went for sale only about a year, why? well my local five star at the time decided that they were going to sell all 20 copies of it because of the release of PS2, Dreamcast & Gamecube... bizarre, I payed 5 bucks for this game, my brother payed 5 bucks... I guess we just completely lucked out.

My brothers and I would play this game constantly, we still do, we will all get together and play a few hour long games for a phase of a week & we'll all play, although Sean can't anymore due to... yeah... not going to get into that in a review...
One of the things we'd do is the multi-player mode... the other times, if it was just "Sandy" & I(Yeah, my brothers name is "Sandy") would play mission mode... The other times from that... we'd fool around and find freaking hilarious & brutal ways of killing teammates... lol.

The bots themselves in multi-player were smart,(unless I ordered them to jump off a cliff or run into a bomb ) You could unlock up to 8 bots, select game modes, weapons, options, character types, etc, etc....
The Freeplay/multi-player mode is so complex and awesome, it's just really hard to go into, I'll post a video after the paragraph. Yeah though, it is pretty cool and it never fails to provide entertainment.
So, Personally, I always play the multi-player, and I especially love certain levels like "Complex", "G5 Building", "Felicity" & "Warehouse". My brothers & I know these levels perfectly, and we are always fighting for "The Good Spot" because there was always one good spot you could find (mainly in Complex & G5) that you could just deploy a laptop gun behind you, or order a bot there and you could just fire out into a big room & pick off enemies. We had to get so tactical with each other to get those spots, and that was the great part.

Video Note: This Guy doesn't have much unlocked yet as far as levels or weapons go...

The Controls are really good, you can choose from 4 different control styles, having FPS style, FPS style in reverse or a mixed FPS style, and it in reverse, I am talking about the control stick & C buttons, the buttons change around themselves a bit too.
The control works well, I use the mixed controls, and the control stick doesn't mess it up much at all.

Note: The next bit is just explaining some of the crazy scenarios I've made while fooling around and killing the bots:

There is countless things I've done, I'd like to get it straight that I'm not a violent person, but doing these things in games make me laugh, read on.
The first thing I do, is in G5 building, I'll jump off one of the bridges and quickly order "Bot 1" to hold, in midair off this cliff to his death, I then tell "Bot 2" to attack "Bot 1", then "Bot 3" to attack bot 2, so on and so forth up to "Bot 8", I usually only give them tranquilizer guns for this situation so they all shoot each other. By the time "Bot 1" gets to the bridge he's going to jump off, he's severly dazed along with the rest of them. They now cannot stand straight on the bridge... the famous term would be; "They all fall down!" lol. sometimes I'll throw "Proxy Mines on the walls of the cliffs and make them "Fist simulants". lol.

Another one I do is in "Grid", I go into the elavator and tell them all to hold there. They will all hold there & then I'll throw stuff in the elavator before it closes (Proxy mine, Timed mine, N-Bomb) an "N-Bomb" is a grenade that creates a big "Tornado" of deadly gas, by this time they are trapped in the elavator with a detonated "N-Bomb". lol.

I'll mention one more, in "Sewers" I go to the top and tell the sims to hold on the edge of a downward pipe, it's too thin for them to stand on, therefore, they cannot hold where I told them too. Now they have to keep running back here over and over again. So I just throw "proxy bombs" & "N-bombs" down the pipe. I'll just yell, "see you next fall!... or next life"

Back to topic

The deaths you experience themselves are cool, the screen goes red and you watch yourself collapse until you see "Press Start" to respawn.

The story mode is alright, to be truthful, I don't remember all of the levels but I have played them all many times before, there is about 20 missions, and a secret one. Me and my brother still play a few "Select" missions we enjoy.
There is this really sweet feature that allows you to play with a second person in "Counter-operative" mode, not "Co-operative",(well, you can play "co-op") "counter-op" mode allows one person to control the main charcter and complete the objectives with their sidekick(s)(bot controlled). The other person controls the enemies, one at a time, and a different one if "He/She" dies, your goal is to stop the other player from completing the mission, if "He/She" completes the mission, you lose. I'm usually the "bad guys"... I've had some fun with this

The game has it's own storyline, I haven't really followed it in some time, but basically, your just this small organization trying to defeat a big buisness scam called the company "G5" they have head people you're trying to beat and expose the whole scam, you end up also having to face aliens in this game near the end. You even have your base overrun in a certain mission.

The missions in this game are great, but the real game is in the multiplayer.

One last thing I can mention is that there is 3 different difficulties and many "cheats" and "sidekicks" to unlock by beating certain missions, on certain difficulties and under a certain time limit... it's difficult, and "Sandy" enjoys doing this, I don't, but I've watched him(he's had to alter his controls to make himself faster)

The sound is pretty good, it's got your classic "Techno N64 Style"
Some Samples:

This Game is truly great, you cannot & will not go wrong with this game, if you are a retro fan, buy it, I love this game. I hope you will all think the same of the review.
Thanks for reading everyone!
Feel free to comment!
All comments are appreciated!
Published by
NHL Fanatic
Cam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud of
Sponsored Links
By Cam3ron36@NFF on 10-31-2009, 12:14 AM
Member reviews
Graphics
95%95%95%
Storyline
95%95%95%
Controls/Gameplay
95%95%95%
Sound
95%95%95%
Average 95%
*Bump*
Thoughts?
By DragonLX on 10-31-2009, 12:15 AM
It doesn't feel good when your reviews doesn't get much attention, huh? I know the feeling.
By Cam3ron36@NFF on 10-31-2009, 12:19 AM
Member reviews
Graphics
95%95%95%
Storyline
95%95%95%
Controls/Gameplay
95%95%95%
Sound
95%95%95%
Average 95%
well, a lot less then I used to, but that's not the point, I bump it so it shows up as a "New Post" it's a habit from another forum.
By op89x on 10-31-2009, 11:29 AM
It's usually good to wait at least 24 hours before bumping a post.
By Cam3ron36@NFF on 10-31-2009, 11:31 AM
Member reviews
Graphics
95%95%95%
Storyline
95%95%95%
Controls/Gameplay
95%95%95%
Sound
95%95%95%
Average 95%
okay.
By op89x on 10-31-2009, 11:38 AM
No worries, though. I understand your frustration. I find that the best reviews often go unnoticed, simply because they're not for a popular or recent game. In this case I figured you would have gotten lots of attention, and there's still plenty of time, but don't be surprised if retro reviews get the fewest comments.
By DarkLegacy on 10-31-2009, 01:15 PM
amazing review of a amazing game, nice one Cam3ron.
By Cam3ron36@NFF on 10-31-2009, 05:02 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
95%95%95%
Storyline
95%95%95%
Controls/Gameplay
95%95%95%
Sound
95%95%95%
Average 95%
Thanks DL.

@Op, I know, on a site called "Nintendo Fan Forum" it's going to mostly be new school, Wii & DS gamers, but that isn't going to stop me from writing about games "I" like, because I don't enjoy playing new games, I've tried to get into new games countless times... it just doesn't work.

also, if I have any Punctuation errors in my review, please, do not hesitate to fix them, in fact, I would even ask that you fix them, I'm sick of "Punctuation" holding me back...
By Brassica Prime on 10-31-2009, 05:06 PM
its more the structure of your reading that your punctuation. The way you format it can make it difficult to fluidly read it. It's just very jumbled in some points
Comment