Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > General Forum > Media Entertainment > Movie Reviews

Notices

Movie Reviews Post your movie reviews here.

Closed Review

Review Tools
Where the Wild Things Are review
a Beef review
Published by da Beef
11-02-2009
Author review
Movie Rating
70%70%70%
Average 70%

Where the Wild Things Are (2009)

directed by Spike Jonze

There is some silliness and perhaps uselessness in adapting a nine sentence picture book into a feature-length film, but the expansion from rise and fall of temper tantrum to an observation on family dynamics and conflict is a worthwhile one.

The Wild Things can be seen as metaphors for Max’s emotions, or his family members, or both. I like the analog to very conflicting, yet very realistic viewpoints most. “It’s hard being a family,” one of the Things innocently remarks.

Ultimately though Where the Wild Things Are didn’t do a lot for me, as an adult. The film is best at the beginning, before Max even steps foot on the island. Here it is a genuinely moving meditation on childhood, reminding us that being a kid is pretty awkward and lonely. There is a particularly beautiful moment that captures Max as he, eyes glossy and altogether somewhere else, cascades a toy boat over his sea-blue bed spread.

I was afraid that what I loved about Spike Jonze’s previous films were Charlie Kaufman’s genius screenplays, but I can see now that the man has a talent and an eye for showing things we all understand and feel, but rarely solidify or are even aware of. In this film he has such a grasp on the mind and experience of a child, and I think this is a great one for children to see. Its themes and situations will feel dark, but that’s only because of the general schlock that is deemed worthy for up and coming generations. Compared to most kids’ films, Where the Wild Things Are is master class.
Sponsored Links
By Princess Elle on 11-02-2009, 01:15 AM
Nice review. I loved the movie.
By da Beef on 11-02-2009, 01:17 AM
thank you. do you agree with me?
By Princess Elle on 11-02-2009, 01:23 AM
Yeah, except for the "The film is best at the beginning, before Max even steps foot on the island." part. I liked the beginning, but I think it became better later after he got the the island.

I think that Max Records did a great job as Max.
By da Beef on 11-02-2009, 01:25 AM
i agree his performance is great. i think its mainly spike jonzes direction though, rather than the actors talent. point in case: Nicolas Cage in Adaptation.

i think Nicolas Cage is a respectable and sometimes even very good actor, but he needs a great director to bring out the performance
By Princess Elle on 11-02-2009, 01:39 AM
That is true, but what is a good director without a good cast?

Also, I was reading something that said it was to violent to be a childrens movie. Would you agree?
By Lukario on 11-02-2009, 01:41 AM
Good review, but I don't plan on seeing this movie. It looks to childish for my liking.

Lukario
By da Beef on 11-02-2009, 01:42 AM
@ Elle,

like i said in the review, people only think that because most kids films are generic, unchallenging bullshit

so no, i dont agree
Last edited by da Beef; 11-02-2009 at 03:14 AM..
By gameaddict on 11-18-2009, 03:50 AM
nice review.

is this film a feature length film?

because how could it be a feature length film if it's based on a kid's picture book?
By da Beef on 11-18-2009, 03:51 AM
i said it was feature-length in the review
Closed Review