Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Other Reviews

Notices

Other Reviews Playstation, Xbox, PC, or any other console game Review. Also console reviews too

Comment

Review Tools
Lost Planet
Lost Planet
I found it hard to get lost in this one...
Published by SuperGamecube64
11-15-2009
Author review
Graphics
95%95%95%
Storyline
100%100%100%
Controls/Gameplay
70%70%70%
Sound
75%75%75%
Average 85%
Lost Planet

Hello again, readers. I've reviewed my other 3 reviews and...well, they're a bit shorter than I would like them to be. So, I'm going to do my best to make this one a tad longer. This time we're looking at Lost Planet; an adventure/shooter from CAPCOM.

Graphics 9.5/10

The graphics are not perfect, but the explosions look great, and th snow, which you will be seeing a LOT of in this game, are spectacular. when you get knocked down into the snow, it sticks to your clothing, and slowly oes away over time. It's a rather small effect, but it's this kind of attention to detail that can bring a game to life. Probably the biggest highlight of the graphics department is when you kill an Akrid. Upon killing them, they lost their thermal energy, and freeze solid, at which point you can melee or shoot them, causing them to shatter. The graphics do not disappoint, but I felt they could've been a bit better. Even as they are, a 3 story ice monster chasing you around in 1080p looks frikkin' awesome.

Ummm.....yeah....$#!*...

An excellent example of the snow effects.

Storyline - 10/10

The story is the best part of Lost Planet, honestly.
Earth has become too hostile for humans to continue inhabiting it, and so a company named NEVEC (Neo Venus Construction) tries to colonize the planet E.D.N. III. An alien race called the Akrid, however, are posing a huge problem. The Akrid force NEVEC to temporarily evacuate the planet. Upon their return to E.D.N. III, they find that the Akrid contains an energy source called Thermal Energy that is needed to survive on the planet due to it's sub-zero temperatures. NEVEC builds armored battle suits called Vital Suits to fight the Akrid, which run on this Thermal Energy. All the while, the Snow Pirates are harvesting Thermal Energy for their own purposes, and NEVEC does not like this at all...

The story is much more involved than this, focusing on Wayne, a member of NEVEc, who loses consciousness, and his memory and winds up frozen solid, and 30 years later, is thawed, and ends up on the side of the Snow Pirates. I'd go into further detail if not for spoilers.

Gameplay - 7/10

This game is not a bad game by any means, but it isn't exactly wonderful, either. It's rather short, and can get a little old. It's a third person shooter with lots of atmosphere and a challenge, but the generic gameplay gets in the way. Boss Fights are the highlight of the game, but other times, you just get sick of killing things left and right.

Sound - 7.5/10

The music kicks in at convenient moments with just the right kind of sound to fit the situation, but none of it is really that memorable. The guns sound a bit weak as well. The Best sound sin the game are the roars of beasts as they die, or charge you. There really isn't a lot to say about the sound. it gets the job done, but...

Overall - 7/10

The game has it's moments, and the visuals are satisfying. Some lackluster gameplay gets in the way of an excellent story, and as immersible as this experience should be, I find it hard to really lose myself in this game. It's above average, but not one of the greats. Lost Planet 2 comes out later this year, so perhaps it will fix some of the low points.
Published by
Futtbuck Bro no.1
SuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via MSN to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Yahoo to SuperGamecube64
Sponsored Links
By da Beef on 11-16-2009, 03:41 AM
your scores are too high given the experiences you describe

for instance, the gameplay. you say it's not bad but not good, so that's average right? should be about a 5
By gameaddict on 11-17-2009, 04:14 AM
Nice review, although I agree with Da Beef, your ratings don't really match the description you give.
Comment