Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Nintendo Wii Reviews

Notices

Nintendo Wii Reviews Section for all Nintendo Wii Game Reviews and Wiiware Reviews

Comment

Review Tools
New Super Mario Bros. Wii
New Super Mario Bros. Wii
Published by AlloftheAbove
11-19-2009
Author review
GraphicsN/A
StorylineN/A
Controls/GameplayN/A
SoundN/A
Average N/A%
Smilie Waluigi New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Welcome to AlloftheAbove’s first segmented review!

Behold! New Super Mario Bros. Wii! Finally, a great Wii game that wasn’t
overshadowed by its own hype. I had the privilege of playing through this fantastic
game from beginning to end, and I thoroughly enjoyed every part of it.

GRAPHICS 10/10
Graphics-wise, I have nothing to criticise about this game. Overall, the visuals are
cute colourful, and spark a sense of warm happiness inside every gamer’s heart. The
graphics are crisp and clear, without any sharp, jagged edges. The game’s 9 worlds
are perfectly designed and superbly executed, without any complaint.

STORYLINE 9/10
The storyline doesn’t stray far from the classic Mario layout. Peach gets captured, so
Mario (along with a few optional partners) set out to rescue her. But what’s this? The
Koopalings are back? Yes! You heard correctly. Bowser’s seven chaotic kids are
back along with their recently introduced, and quickly adored sibling, Bowser Jr.

The storyline is not unexpected, but it struck as a shock to me as to how bland it felt.
Sure, usually that setup is gold, but after a while, it started getting a little dull. But for
Mario veterans, it should be an utter delight.

SOUND 8/10
In NSMBW, the music and sound is great. The sound effects are classic. I mean, who
could forget the sound of Mario travelling through a fiendishly hidden pipe, or the
sound of stomping on your first Goomba? These sounds are all back in all their glory,
accompanied by some of the most fitting music I have ever heard in a video game.
The music blends perfectly with the levels. A little too perfectly, if you ask me. The
music is so appropriate, that it (sadly) doesn’t capture any attention. The music is so
perfectly blended, that it goes without any notice

CONTROLS/GAMEPLAY 9/10
NSMBW comes with two control setups: lone Wii Remote, or Wii Remote with
Nunchuck. The control system is much other Mario games: One button to jump, the
other to shoot and dash. Both systems are easily introduced to newcomers, and a
familiar feel to veteran Mario fans. But while using a Helicopter Mushroom, Mario is
able to spin great distances with the flick of your wrists. Some puzzling levels will
involve Mario twisting cannons and turning platforms with the Wii Remote, which
may anger some gamers wanting that ‘retro feel’. But to be blunt, if you want a retro
feel, play the retro game. If you want to play a fun game that is extremely enjoyable to
gamers of every field, play Super Mario Bros. Wii.

In short, just buy this game. The multiplayer is fun and frantic, and a great way to
introduce newcomers to the classic Mario games. The single-player campaign is
thoroughly entertaining to Mario fans young and old, and will have you wanting to
play ‘just one more level’ every single time.

Sponsored Links
By DarkLegacy on 11-19-2009, 01:43 PM
Cool Review.
By ThatAwesomeGuy on 11-19-2009, 07:11 PM
Looks awesome - I'm going to get this once the price drops a bit.
By Cam3ron36@NFF on 11-19-2009, 07:14 PM
I just rented this, the controls are slightly delayed and it takes too long to turn around. The motion controls aren't a bad touch, but they aren't a good touch either :-\ No item box at the top of the screen either.

I feel like they've brought things back from every non education mario. They even have the 8 red coins thing from SM64, and when I got on a yoshi. It felt like playing SMW2 & yoshis story. (you can even abandon them for a higher jump )
I just beat Iggy for the 2000th time

I'm only just at the end of world 1 at the moment...
By da Beef on 11-19-2009, 07:51 PM
ive heard other people complain about delayed controls, but i havent experienced that. it felt odd at first because these are polygons and not the sprites im used to, but i got over it almost instantly
By Cam3ron36@NFF on 11-19-2009, 10:18 PM
yeah, I sorta got used to it too. I also forgot I could run for the first five minutes :x

Job well done Mr. Purple! (that's what I'm calling AotA now)
By ThatAwesomeGuy on 11-20-2009, 12:06 AM
You forgot that you could run?

How could you do such a thing?
By op89x on 11-20-2009, 12:11 AM
I really wish they had done something more creative than two different-colored Toads, though. I wonder how long it'll be before someone in the mod/hack community makes skins for them.
By AlloftheAbove on 11-20-2009, 12:31 AM
If I had my way, it'd be Wario and Waluigi.
By Cam3ron36@NFF on 11-20-2009, 12:36 AM
IDK. lol.

Fatal flaw though, they focused too much on multiplayer, it's brutality on 1 player. Especially with the controls...
Comment