Nintendo Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Other Reviews

Notices

Other Reviews Playstation, Xbox, PC, or any other console game Review. Also console reviews too

Comment

Review Tools
Resident Evil 5
Resident Evil 5
In the jungle, the mighty jungle, the zombie sleeps tonight!
Published by SuperGamecube64
11-22-2009
Author review
Graphics
95%95%95%
Storyline
70%70%70%
Controls/Gameplay
90%90%90%
Sound
90%90%90%
Average 86%
Resident Evil 5

I got Resident Evil 5 shortly after it's release for the Xbox 360, and I've beaten it multiple times. It's one of those games that's difficult to put down. It has it's haters, and I have to say, they make a good point. Most of them say it is not a good Resident Evil game, and I agree. But does that make it a bad game in it's own right? I think not.

Graphics - 9.5/10

Simply put, the graphics are awesome. Everything is highly detailed, from the threads of a shirt to beads of sweat. The enemy models are duplicates of one another of course, and though also rich in detail, are not quite as good looking as the main characters, but this is forgivable. The lighting it just right. In dark areas, it's dark enough to be gloomy, and creepy, but not so dark you can't see and aim correctly. Where there is light, there's normally just enough. They didn't overdo the lighting effects so that they blind you or anything. The graphics, while impressive, are not perfect, and so I did not give it a 10. Rarely will you see me give anything a 10.

Storyline - 7/10

Chris Redfield, who you will recognize from the first Resident Evil has been dispatched to Africa to arrest Ricardo Irving, who is creating and selling bio weapons on the black market. He is soon joined by his partner, Sheva Alomar of the B.S.A.A. west African branch. They soon find that many of the residents are behaving strangely, and become violent and hostile. Soon filing a report that the locals are acting like the Los Plagas in the Kennedy Report, and that they are all that is left of their team, they are instructed to carry out the mission regardless to these facts. I found the story to be interesting, but not the best found in the series.

"Ever get the feeling your expendable?" - Chris Redfield

Gameplay - 9/10

Let's face it. The survival horror Resident Evil is dead, and it looks like the combat oriented action game version is here to stay for a while. While I love the over the shoulder camera found in RE4 and RE5, I wish it more like the originals. You can't run while you shoot, which does retain a bit of the horror elemnts from earlier RE games, but it just doesn't feel scary anymore. they are plenty of "Holy crap, that guy is gonna get me!" moments, but nothing that really makes you jump.If you've played RE4, the game is virtually unchanged, and it's still action packed and fun. One of the changes is a new inventory system, which has it's good sides, but also has it's bad sides. Rather than having to organize your items in a case to make room, you can always hold 9 items, regardless of size, and grenades and such bundle together into sets. Using the d-pad, you can quickly access certain items, of press a button(Y for xbox, triangle for ps3) and bring up the inventory, though the game will continue, so beware. Since you have a partner this time, and unlike Ashley, she is actually armed and able to defend herself, there is no need to constantly look out for her. She is decently smart, but at times makes you want to smack her. She constantly uses her pistol unless you take it away from her. I suppose the developers did this on purpose to reserve your harder to find ammo, but seriously...why use a pistol instead of a shotgun when a zombie is a foot in front of you? She also tends to shoot you at times. It doesn't hurt you, but it wastes ammo, and is annoying. Inbetween chapters, you get to shop for new items and organize the things you have. aww...looks like there isn't a merchant this time...too bad, stranger.

Sound - 9/10

The soundtrack is composed of some classis horror motiffes as well as some tunes involving traditional African drums and such that fit the game well. Soudn quality is good, and the weapons all sound right. Not only do pistols, shotguns and rifles sound different, but each different one seems to sound a tad unique. The voice actors did well, and gone are (most) of the cheesy one liners(note the word most).

Overall - 9/10

Resident Evil 5 is a great game, it's just not one of the better RE title in my opinion, and feels kind of like a recycled Resident Evil 4. Most of it's faults are quite forgivable due to it being so fun, though. I suggest playing co-op with a friend over the computer. My dad, and I'm sure many others, despise this game. I however find it to be very fun, addictive and action packed. it may not be my favorite Resident Evil game, but it's still an awesome game all it's own.
Sponsored Links
By DragonLX on 11-22-2009, 09:48 PM
This game is incredible, but I just played it for a short time. I sucked at it, but my stupidity with the controls was to blame. x]

Great review. Add pix next time plx. kthxbai
By da Beef on 11-23-2009, 02:15 AM
again your scores dont match your descriptions. i recommend getting rid of the numbers altogether
By Rai17 on 01-18-2010, 04:26 PM
Like the review. Sadly enough, this game disappointed me...
By cabinrentalstn on 01-18-2010, 04:45 PM
it disapointed me.....
By Tencade Kazarian on 01-18-2010, 11:29 PM
the game itself was a let down. the partner co-op was good but at the same time bad. Capcom promised a few thing that wasnt even in the game. let down. not only that it didnt come out for Wii. WTF
Comment