Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Nintendo Retro Consoles > GameCube

Notices

GameCube GameCube section post here!

Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 04:42 PM   #1
SuperGamecube64
Futtbuck Bro no.1
Points: 59,012, Level: 100 Points: 59,012, Level: 100 Points: 59,012, Level: 100
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Master Ball User owns 1x 1-UP Mushroom

My Mood: Woot
SuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards NFF Old Man Award Review of the Month NFF's 4th Annual Award Level 100 Award NFF Promoter Review of the Month Monster Poster 
Total Awards: 19

Send a message via AIM to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via MSN to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Yahoo to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Skype™ to SuperGamecube64 Xbox Live Gamertag: SuperGamecube64
Post Why the Gamecube is special to me...

You guys have probably noticed I make a lot of topics in the Gamecube section. Heck, the word "Gamecube" even makes up the majority of my screen name. I'm sure the Gamecube has fans/enthusiasts besides me, but it's one of those systems that just didn't sell well because it was considered "childish" and because "OH MAH GAWD DA GRAFFIX!!111!1!"(even though the graphics were actually way better than the ps2, and the lighing effects could compete with those found on the xbox). i'm sure all Gamecube fans have a reson for loving it so. i have many, and I decided I wanted to write about why. I was going to go to Retrojunk until I realized that Gamecube, being released in 2001 isn't technically retro, and therefore doesn't really fit in there. I suppose a thread on a Nintendo forum will do just fine!

I first began my gaming career with nintendo on my uncles NES, palying Duck hunt as pften as he would let me. I didn't own a system myself until the PS1 came out. Of course, since I had the ps1, I was a bit of a sony fan at the time, though, at that age, brand didn't matter to me. I had played my cousins N64 a bit, but barely at all. When the PS2 came out, I was ecstatic and couldn't wait to get my hands on it, and soon enough I did, and i thought it was a pretty good system then, although it is now one of my least favorites. The only Nintendo system I owned and played regularly was my Gameboy Color

Anyway, I went over to my friend Andy's house, and his sole current gen(at that time) console was the Gamecube. He called over another friend and we all sat down with controllers in our hands, and he turned on the power. We were greeted by that charming little tune that plays as the logo literally unfolds on the screen, and soon, I was playing a game I'd never even heard of called Super smash Bros. Melee. At the time, I didn't bother with sites such as GameFAQs of Cheat Code Central, nor was I subscribed to any magazines. I only knew about games others told me about, or that I'd seen or played myself. I was enthralled with game, even though the only character I could recognize at the time was Mario. It took me a while to get used to the game's mechanics, but soon I fell in love with it, and decided I wanted a Gamecube the next Christmas.

Well, the next year, I switched schools. I left all my friends behind, and was a little bit scared. When you're 12 years old, these things tend to bother you a lot more. Anyway, I started talking to a guy that sat next to me named Jeffrey. Jeffrey was a very quiet person, and he seemed to be avoiding me, or shrugging me off. He was 2 years older than me, and I thought that maybe he felt like he didn't want to be seen with a little kid or something. The truth, however, was that he was just very introverted.Soon, he started to say simple things to me like "Hey..." and "Ok...", which everyone found strange becuase Jeffrey just never really said much.

It's funny how the world works sometimes. We soon found out that we were actually cousins(our great grandmothers were sisters) and that he actually only live about a mile down the road from me. You would've thought we'd met before then, wouldn't you?

Soon, he began riding his bike to my house after school everyday. He always talked about his Nintendo 64 and I was like "You don't have a ps2?!". He actually, didn't have a Gamecube yet, either, and was also supposed to be getting one that Christmas. the first time I went over to his house, we played the Nintendo 64, and I was just as enamered with it as I was the Gamecube. This was the moment I was officially converted to Nintendoism(note: this sites spell check actually considers Nintendoism a word? O_o).

He showed me the epicness that was Mario and Zelda, and I couldn't thank him enough! Now, I couldn't imagine a Gaming world without nintendo, and it's all thanks to him. Well, later that year, I was n a local parade. His Dad was driving a tractor, a trailer attached loaded with a bunch of kids from our school. Jeffrey and I eached walked on opposite sides of the float, and threw candy into the vicious mob that would probably have torn our arms to shreds for a snickers bar. For some reason or another, the parade came to a breif stop. I stood with my arms cross, and my legs a bit parted...little did I know that my left foot was directly in front of one of the trailer's wheels. When we started going again, I felt a strange pressure on my foot. Everything started to move in slow motion for me as I glanced down at the mass of rubber and metal rolling overtop of my foot. It didn't even hurt. i couldn't even FEEL my foot, and I quickly fell backwards. Luckily, a bystander caught me before I hit the ground. Once I was on the ground, THATS when the pain started to come on...anyway, I'm diverting from the main topic now. the ponit is, ebcause of my broken foot, I actually got the Gamecube a month and a half early! YAAAAAY SYMPATHY!

My first game for it was none other than Melee. Jeffrey came over every day adter school, and we played the crap out of it. Neither of us knew what characeters there were to unlcock, and each one was a surprise to us. Through this game, we actually became closer friends. I know that sounds weird, but we did.

A couple weeks later, Jeffrey bought Animal Crossing ahead of time, even though he wouldn't be gettinghis Gamecube for another 5 weeks. Of course, since I had a gamecube, he just brought it over to my house! We were both instantly hooked on the game, and I swear they made the disc out of some addictive illegal substance, because you just can't stop playing that game.

Needless to say, both Animal Crossing and Melee both hold a special palce in my heart as the 2 games that brought me closer to the person who is now one of my best friends.

Some of you probably see this thread as a waste of time. Probably was. i cold easily have just gone over all of this in my mind, and not wasted your time by having you read it. Well, fi you feel that way, I'm sorry, but sometimes, I just like to write what I'm feeling.

Anyway, I'm sure some of you have interesting stories about why you like the Gamecube, so feel free to share them. They don't have to be as long as mine, of course, haha.

For those of you who went "Too long, didn't read...." Here is a synopsis. I love the Gamecube because it's what brought me closer to one of my friends, of whom, most of my memories with, consist of playing the Gamecube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandyn View Post
You wield the banhammer like Thor wields Mjolnir.

"No, you're clearly wrong. A game's success is determined by the score. Opinions are facts now, and if this game gets too many negative facts then this game clearly sucks so we should all just leave and play Kingdom Hearts and Call of Duty.(that hurt to type)" - Sabeta_Sama of GFAQs
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2009, 10:40 PM   #2
feder
闇の怪盗
Points: 861, Level: 15 Points: 861, Level: 15 Points: 861, Level: 15

My Mood: Lurking
feder is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to feder
People complain about the GCN's graphics? That's ridiculous; the GCN had much better graphics than the PS2. Not to mention, it had a much better frame rate.

most anticipated:
Tales of Graces, Fragile, Arc Rise Fantasia, Sands of Destruction
Old 11-29-2009, 10:41 PM   #3
SuperGamecube64
Futtbuck Bro no.1
Points: 59,012, Level: 100 Points: 59,012, Level: 100 Points: 59,012, Level: 100
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Master Ball User owns 1x 1-UP Mushroom

My Mood: Woot
SuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards NFF Old Man Award Review of the Month NFF's 4th Annual Award Level 100 Award NFF Promoter Review of the Month Monster Poster 
Total Awards: 19

Send a message via AIM to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via MSN to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Yahoo to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Skype™ to SuperGamecube64 Xbox Live Gamertag: SuperGamecube64
yes, it did

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandyn View Post
You wield the banhammer like Thor wields Mjolnir.

"No, you're clearly wrong. A game's success is determined by the score. Opinions are facts now, and if this game gets too many negative facts then this game clearly sucks so we should all just leave and play Kingdom Hearts and Call of Duty.(that hurt to type)" - Sabeta_Sama of GFAQs
Old 12-07-2009, 12:49 PM   #4
Mr_Prime
The Duck!
Points: 1,075, Level: 17 Points: 1,075, Level: 17 Points: 1,075, Level: 17
User owns 1x Nintendo 64 Controller User owns 1x Nintendo Wii User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Remote User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Nunchuck

My Mood: Chatty
Mr_Prime will become famous soon enough

good story. really.

i can relate to it.
my cousins name is jeffery.
haha.
Closed Thread