Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > General Forum > Technical Support > Nintendo

Notices

Nintendo Post any Nintendo related support questions here.

Old 11-22-2009, 05:12 PM   #1
SuperGamecube64
Futtbuck Bro no.1
Points: 59,012, Level: 100 Points: 59,012, Level: 100 Points: 59,012, Level: 100
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Master Ball User owns 1x 1-UP Mushroom

My Mood: Woot
SuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards NFF Old Man Award Review of the Month NFF's 4th Annual Award Level 100 Award NFF Promoter Review of the Month Monster Poster 
Total Awards: 19

Send a message via AIM to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via MSN to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Yahoo to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Skype™ to SuperGamecube64 Xbox Live Gamertag: SuperGamecube64
NES care FAQ

VERSION HISTORY
V. 1.1 - updated 3/31/11, corrected grammar and spelling.

INTRO
I decided to write this FAQ because my NES means a lot to me, as it once belonged to my uncle, and was the first system I ever played. NES systems, especially the front loaders can have quite a number of problems, most of them due to aging. I hope I am able to help someone out with this.

CLEANING CARTRIDGES

Cleaning an NES cartridge is quite a simple procedure. At one time, Nintendo had cartridge cleaning kits, although you'd be hard pressed to find one now. Cleaning the cartridge could possibly resolve blank screens, scrambled screens, flashing screens, or games that like to crash.

The best thing to use when cleaning an NES cartridge is a q-tip. The best cleaning fluid to use is a solution of 50% alcohol and 50% water. The water dilutes it enough to be safe. you may also want to try Windex, though I don't use it personally.

You've probably already figured out the procedure by now. just dip the q-tip in the water/alcohal soltion, and rub it along the connector pins. You should repeat the process until the q-tip coems out clean.

CLEANING THE SYSTEM

Sometimes, the problem is with the actual system itself. nine times out of ten, the problem is, more specifically, with the connector pin(the thing your cartridges plug into). To clean this, you will have to take apart your NES. all you need to do this is a phillips head screw driver. It's very very simple to do, just unscrew the outside, and lift off the top. You will see a metal shield covering the insides, which you will also need to unscrew and remove. It is safe to remove anything from the NES and long as you are careful, and remember where it belongs. There are many guides throughout the internet, most including images, to help you do this.

Once you can clean the connector pin, it is best to used the same 50% water, 50% alcohol solution I mentioned in the cartridge cleaning section. You may use a q-tip for this as well, but I would suggest something more coarse such as a tooth brush, or even a fingernail scrubber.

If the system is still giving you problems, you should probably replace the connector pins. they can be found on sites such as eBay and amazon for around $10.00 U.S. and it is a very simple procedure.

I know this guide isn't much at all, but I figured that maybe someone could use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandyn View Post
You wield the banhammer like Thor wields Mjolnir.

"No, you're clearly wrong. A game's success is determined by the score. Opinions are facts now, and if this game gets too many negative facts then this game clearly sucks so we should all just leave and play Kingdom Hearts and Call of Duty.(that hurt to type)" - Sabeta_Sama of GFAQs

Last edited by SuperGamecube64; 03-31-2011 at 10:24 PM.
SuperGamecube64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2009, 11:01 AM   #2
da Beef
Banned

da Beef will become famous soon enoughda Beef will become famous soon enough

Awards Showcase
Poster 
Total Awards: 1

this is standard procedure for most people who actually play their NES, but its a great point of reference for retro newbies. thanks for posting
da Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 01:01 PM   #3
Mario
Just Chillaxin
Points: 52,392, Level: 100 Points: 52,392, Level: 100 Points: 52,392, Level: 100
User owns 1x Blue Shell User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Remote User owns 1x Master Sword User owns 1x Nintendo Wii User owns 1x Links Shield User owns 1x Gold Coin
User owns 1x Invincibility Star User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Red Pikmin

My Mood: Gaming
Mario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF's 4th Annual Award Monster Poster NFF Old Man Award NFF 3rd Annual Award Royalty Level 100 Award Mufasa NFF 1st Annual Award 
Total Awards: 9

3DS Friend Code: 4450-2343-3333 WiiU ID: test123
Good Post. Will sticky it.

Started from the bottom, now we're here.
Mario is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 08:13 PM   #4
Kyusen
o-(-_-Q)
Points: 495, Level: 9 Points: 495, Level: 9 Points: 495, Level: 9
User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Magic Cape Feather

My Mood: Nerdy
Kyusen is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for the post!

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock-and-roll."-Shigeru Miyamoto
Kyusen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:56 AM   #5
Beasty
Fierce Deity
Points: 629, Level: 12 Points: 629, Level: 12 Points: 629, Level: 12
User owns 1x Master Sword User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Harp of Ages User owns 1x Rod Of Seasons

My Mood: Fine
Beasty is just really niceBeasty is just really niceBeasty is just really niceBeasty is just really niceBeasty is just really nice

Friend Codes
hmm nice post probably would never come handy for me cause i don't got a nes :d
Old 03-22-2010, 06:20 PM   #6
SuperGamecube64
Futtbuck Bro no.1
Points: 59,012, Level: 100 Points: 59,012, Level: 100 Points: 59,012, Level: 100
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Master Ball User owns 1x 1-UP Mushroom

My Mood: Woot
SuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards NFF Old Man Award Review of the Month NFF's 4th Annual Award Level 100 Award NFF Promoter Review of the Month Monster Poster 
Total Awards: 19

Send a message via AIM to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via MSN to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Yahoo to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Skype™ to SuperGamecube64 Xbox Live Gamertag: SuperGamecube64
Glad you people like it. UP MY REP! *angry face* :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandyn View Post
You wield the banhammer like Thor wields Mjolnir.

"No, you're clearly wrong. A game's success is determined by the score. Opinions are facts now, and if this game gets too many negative facts then this game clearly sucks so we should all just leave and play Kingdom Hearts and Call of Duty.(that hurt to type)" - Sabeta_Sama of GFAQs
SuperGamecube64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 03:39 PM   #7
Wiidude
One Cool Dude
Points: 10,495, Level: 68 Points: 10,495, Level: 68 Points: 10,495, Level: 68
User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Classic User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Remote User owns 1x Nintendo Wii User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Nunchuck User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel

My Mood: Cool
Wiidude is a jewel in the roughWiidude is a jewel in the roughWiidude is a jewel in the roughWiidude is a jewel in the rough

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Royalty 
Total Awards: 2

sent you some rep for a well done list.
Wiidude is offline   Reply With Quote