Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Other Reviews

Notices

Other Reviews Playstation, Xbox, PC, or any other console game Review. Also console reviews too

Comment

Review Tools
Soul Calibur IV
Soul Calibur IV
In the words of Cervantes the undead pirate, "I'm disappointed!"
Published by SuperGamecube64
11-23-2009
Author review
Graphics
85%85%85%
Storyline
75%75%75%
Controls/Gameplay
80%80%80%
Sound
60%60%60%
Average 75%
Soul Calibur IV

Da Beef made a suggestion on my last review. He told me my descriptions didn't match my scores and that I should do away with the numbers completely, and I agree., so I have adopted a new system. I will not be using number ratings, but rather words such as "great" or "excellent" or "poor".

I am a huge fighting game fan, and Soul Calibur has been a favorite franchise of mine. I love the story(except in this case) and the characters have always captivated me. Naturally, I was excited to play Soul Calibur IV.

Graphics - Great

The graphics in Soul Calibur IV are far, far from bad, but they aren't the best I've seen. There are some collission detection issues with hair and clothes, especially on the created characters. Otherwise, everything looks pretty good, especially the environments. The character models looks very nice, although a couple of them are kinda creepy looking in the face(*cough*XIANGHUA!*cough*). Armor shines like it should, and fabrics blow in the wind. The character models are very realistic.

Taki, who needs a sports bra and should start wearing pants that rbeathe more seen beating the crap out of Tira, who should probably see a psych...

Storyline - Decent

I really don't even understand the storyline this time, but isn't very interesting. some dude named Algol wants Soul Calibur and Soul edge to do something evil with, which no one cares about. You got your good guy characters like Sigfried who want to stop him for the good of the world, the evil characters like Nightmare who want to stop him to do their own evil deeds....oh yeah, and somehow Yoda and Darth Vader have something to do with it. I realize Star wars takes place "Long ago in a galaxy far far away" but they just don't fit in...

Yoda: No sense your inclusion makes!
Vader: *breathing noises* you lack of sense in this games universe disgusts me! *breathing noises*

Gameplay - Good

Gameplay is a LOT more solid that soul Calibur III. in III, characters where extremely unbalanced, but with IV, the balance has returned. Combat still flows smoothly like it always have, and few moves have changed. A new adition is a "fatality" like system called the soul guage. Guarding and getting hit causes it to drop, and when it finaly breaks, you can perform a finisher. Of course, they will never beat Soul Calibur II. It's like trying to best A Link to the Past. You are not going to do it.

Sound - Mediocre

Some of the songs are recycled or redone from older Soul Calibur games. The problem is, they don't seem as good as the originals, and the new tunes are rather forgettable. Voice overs are, for the most part, well done, but a few voices are still annoying...like Talim's....I really wish she was mute.Probably the coolest sounds you'll hear are the clashing of the swords.

Overall - Good

There are better games, and as a fan of the series, I am very disapointed, but it's still playable, and there is plenty of fun to be had. It's still a big step backwards from SCII, but it's certaily a giant leap forward from SCIII. Now that it's cheaper, it's worth picking up...Oh yeah, and Voldo still does the creepy crotch dance...my eyes still burn.
Published by
Futtbuck Bro no.1
SuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via MSN to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Yahoo to SuperGamecube64
Sponsored Links
By Lukario on 11-23-2009, 08:33 PM
The action was superb, and retained a lot of the good qualities of these arcade-style fighting games, but the Star Wars characters were really out of place in this game. It was the same thing when they put Link in Soulcalibur II. Wasn't an appropriate move, no matter how cool it was.

Lukario
By SuperGamecube64 on 11-23-2009, 08:46 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
85%85%85%
Storyline
75%75%75%
Controls/Gameplay
80%80%80%
Sound
60%60%60%
Average 75%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukario View Post
The action was superb, and retained a lot of the good qualities of these arcade-style fighting games, but the Star Wars characters were really out of place in this game. It was the same thing when they put Link in Soulcalibur II. Wasn't an appropriate move, no matter how cool it was.

Lukario
Hey, it made more sense than Heihachi(ps2) or Spawn(xbox)
By Lukario on 11-23-2009, 08:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGamecube64 View Post
Hey, it made more sense than Heihachi(ps2) or Spawn(xbox)
Yeah. Neither of them were iconic to their respective systems. Then again, they don't make the same type of games like Nintendo does (they don't have their own logo characters)
By SuperGamecube64 on 11-23-2009, 08:54 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
85%85%85%
Storyline
75%75%75%
Controls/Gameplay
80%80%80%
Sound
60%60%60%
Average 75%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukario View Post
Yeah. Neither of them were iconic to their respective systems. Then again, they don't make the same type of games like Nintendo does (they don't have their own logo characters)
Master Chief is ARGUABLY Microsofts mascot. I consider Ratchet to be sony's, although I suppose Kratos could also work. Speaking of which, his inclusion in the PSP SC actually makes a bit of sense.
By Lukario on 11-23-2009, 08:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGamecube64 View Post
Master Chief is ARGUABLY Microsofts mascot. I consider Ratchet to be sony's, although I suppose Kratos could also work. Speaking of which, his inclusion in the PSP SC actually makes a bit of sense.
At the time Soulcalibur II was made, he wasn't. While Halo was popular, it wasn't enough for him to be that important to Microsoft, especially since they didn't own the rights to MC back then, Bungie did. Today, that's a different story.
By da Beef on 11-23-2009, 10:19 PM
better
Comment