Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Nintendo Wii Reviews

Notices

Nintendo Wii Reviews Section for all Nintendo Wii Game Reviews and Wiiware Reviews

Comment

Review Tools
Okami
Okami
If you don't think games are art, Okami will change your mind.
Published by SuperGamecube64
12-01-2009
Author review
Graphics
100%100%100%
Storyline
100%100%100%
Controls/Gameplay
85%85%85%
Sound
90%90%90%
Average 94%
Okami

I have been reviewing my collection in a set order, but I'm breaking that order so I can enter this for ROTM. I am reviewing the Wii Version of Okami, and yes, it is a bit different from it's PS2 counterpart.

Graphics

Gamers everywhere feud over rather or not games are art. I believe that while most are not, some are...and Okami is. Stand still in the field in Okami. just move the camera around for a bit and examine your scenery. Okami takes cell shading to a new level, and turns your 1080p 50" LCD screen into a canvas on which you will veiw the the caligraphy stroke style pictures that are the world of Nippon. If you don't find the unique graphic style of Okami to be beautiful, I suggest you pay a visit to your eye doctor. You probably need glasses.

The Wii Difference

The graphics on the wii version of Okami are a bit different from the PS2 version. the first thing you will notice is the brightness. The PS2 version has a darker, more gloomy tint to it while the wii version's graphics and bright, and vibrant. Another difference is that the Wii version sports thicker black borderlines around the objects and models. Some prefer one while others prefer...well, the other. Personally, I think the Wii version beats the PS2 version's graphics, but that is a mnatter of opinion.

Tell me this isn't beautiful. I dare you.

Storyline

100 years before the evnts of Okami, a legendary wolf named Shiranuiand a swordman named Nagi slayed the eight headed dragon Orochi to save the village maiden from sacrafice. Sasuno, a swordsman who is a decendant of Nagi has broken Orochi's seal and set him free. A forest spirit named Sakuya summons Amaterasu, the sun goddess to defeat him, and she is soon joined by the annoying and perverted Issun. The story branches out and has a couple of really big twists, but I really don't won't to ruin them, and so I won't go into much detail.

Gameplay

The gameplay of Okami is not unlike that of Zelda. Beat dungeon a, and complete quest's a and b to proceed to dungeon b, etc, etc. Of course, the main thing advertised about Okami is the caligraphy. Using her tail, Ammy can paint caligraphy strokes and cause effects from wind, to creating bombs. On the ps2, this was done with the right control stick, but on thw Wii, it is, obviously, done with the remote. It takes some getting used to, and will probably give you trouble at first, but once you are used to the controls, they will no longer give you any problems. in the begining, I found it difficult to even draw a straight line, but now I can do it with ease. As for difficulty, the game is a tad on the easy side.

Sound

Okami's tunes are of coarse old Japanese sounds and you've probably heard similar songs in some anime. As you the other sounds, everyone speaks gibberish like Animal Crossing or the original Starfox, but it really isn't all that annoying. The music is forgettable for the most part, but fits the game so perfectly that you really don't care.

Overall

Buy this game. but it now. It doesn't matter which system you buy it on, either way, you will enjoy it. It is truly a work of art in gaming form if ever there was one.
Published by
Futtbuck Bro no.1
SuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via MSN to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Yahoo to SuperGamecube64
Sponsored Links
By da Beef on 12-01-2009, 09:33 PM
what makes this game art? dont say the visuals, however wonderful they may be. games are an interactive medium. they arent paintings. if a game is a work of art then it is so because of its rules and the ideas they express
By candiipup on 12-02-2009, 02:09 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
100%100%100%
Storyline
95%95%95%
Controls/Gameplay
95%95%95%
Sound
85%85%85%
Average 94%
Okay first, this is one of the most beautiful games i've ever played. I could stare at it for hours. And it's REALLY fun to boot, like... really fluid. Controls and camera are everything to me when playing games.

Second: It was better on the PS2. Why? Because. okay maybe i'm the only motherF up in here who has mastered the stick! ... .. anyway. No seriously, the drawings you make for the moves are just quicker and easier on the PS2. The Wii with the drawing and what not is sloppy to me. I'm hella fast at making the circles and swooshes with the analog stick. Then again, i might be the only one XD

The game in general is a masterpiece, it's a must play for anyone who likes good platformer-type games.
By op89x on 12-02-2009, 06:19 PM
I believe the Wii only supports 420p (I may be wrong, but it's certainly not 720) so the 1080p TV thing is sort of moot. I'm getting this for Christmas so I'll have to let you know what I think of it then.
By The Vault Dweller on 12-13-2009, 01:50 AM
Member reviews
Graphics
100%100%100%
Storyline
100%100%100%
Controls/Gameplay
95%95%95%
Sound
100%100%100%
Average 99%
Maybe I'm to generous, but honestly this is a great game. THe art is like no other game. The game is basically a work of art, and it'll make you want to play more. The storyline was original and like nothing I've ever played before. I mean what game is cell shaded, has myths wraped in, make you an artist, is occasionally comical, has folk music from old japan, and you play a GODDESS. The story takes many many hours to play through not to mention the side quests and all of those things. Its my second most played game on the wii next to LOZ:TP and over SSBB! Sometimes thought the controls would freak out. Overall, I love this game and hope for a sequel... (rumors of a DS Okami have arrisen... which frightens me because the DS would make the art shotty )
Comment